PDA

View Full Version : Area man falls victim to BMW virus...

ARCHER
12-26-2002, 02:25 PM
Last Friday, a guy that works in my building (Detroit metal nut) wanted me to drive his Conquest TSI. He had just upgraded his turbo and intercooler and wanted me to give him some feedback. The car is actually pretty fun to drive. The motor is not nearly as flat or flexible as the 330 (it will run when the boost spools) and although it handles fairly well, it cannot begin to touch the BMW. The seats were firm with deep bolsters - probably the best thing about the car and left me a little envious of the lateral support. The brakes leave much to be desired.

He had never driven a BMW and knew absolutely nothing about its pedigree. I sensed that he was skeptical about my performance claims so I put him behind the wheel. "Oh wow... a five speed," he said.

After warming up, we turned onto the access road and he punched it, DSC off, in first gear. You should have seen his face light up when the rear end swung out beside us. It was priceless!

Rowing through the gears, he just kept saying, "Oh my God!" He was at 100 mph when we approached an open shot to the interchange. I told him to take it at 80. He said, "you're crazy." But he did and she slithered through with total composure.

Exiting the freeway near my parking lot, I told him to stand on the brakes. Again, "Oh my God... this thing is amazing... I never knew... I thought, I thought, I thought..."

Monday morning he comes into my office gushing about the drive and how he MUST have one. So I thought, why not add insult to injury and advise him to research the M lineup...

Poor guy - ruined for life. That is the last I have heard from him.

doeboy
12-26-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by ARCHER
Last Friday, a guy that works in my building (Detroit metal nut) wanted me to drive his Conquest TSI. He had just upgraded his turbo and intercooler and wanted me to give him some feedback. The car is actually pretty fun to drive. The motor is not nearly as flat or flexible as the 330 (it will run when the boost spools) and although it handles fairly well, it cannot begin to touch the BMW. The seats were firm with deep bolsters - probably the best thing about the car and left me a little envious of the lateral support. The brakes leave much to be desired.

He had never driven a BMW and knew absolutely nothing about its pedigree. I sensed that he was skeptical about my performance claims so I put him behind the wheel. "Oh wow... a five speed," he said.

After warming up, we turned onto the access road and he punched it, DSC off, in first gear. You should have seen his face light up when the rear end swung out beside us. It was priceless!

Rowing through the gears, he just kept saying, "Oh my God!" He was at 100 mph when we approached an open shot to the interchange. I told him to take it at 80. He said, "you're crazy." But he did and she slithered through with total composure.

Exiting the freeway near my parking lot, I told him to stand on the brakes. Again, "Oh my God... this thing is amazing... I never knew... I thought, I thought, I thought..."

Monday morning he comes into my office gushing about the drive and how he MUST have one. So I thought, why not add insult to injury and advise him to research the M lineup...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That was hilarious... and people ask me why I've wanted a Bimmer for so long.... maybe I should have'em go test drive one and find out....

:thumbup:

StLChris
12-26-2002, 02:34 PM

So true...

Great story

TD
12-26-2002, 02:35 PM

LOL.

Yup. People are surprised when they discover for themselves that, for many of us, it truly is about something other than the badge.

E36 M3... E36 M3... E36 M3... E36 M3...

PhilH
12-26-2002, 02:36 PM
You really do have to drive one to realize how good they are. It amazes me that my Dinaned 5-series is only worth about $9k. It still feels like a $40k car, and will keep running for another 100k miles easily.

Great story. :thumbup:

TD
12-26-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by PhilH
You really do have to drive one to realize how good they are. It amazes me that my Dinaned 5-series is only worth about $9k. It still feels like a $40k car, and will keep running for another 100k miles easily.

Great story. :thumbup:

Are you thinking of selling your E34?

What are it's specs? Mileage, age, options, etc.

I would LOVE an E34.

ARCHER
12-26-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by TD
LOL.

Yup. People are surprised when they discover for themselves that, for many of us, it truly is about something other than the badge.

E36 M3... E36 M3... E36 M3... E36 M3...

Subliminal messages. My eyes are spinning spirals of T-violet...

I want to and I will be getting some serious time beind the wheel of my buddy's '95 M3 soon. It should send me over the edge and into the visceral abyss of E36 M3 nirvana.

PhilH
12-26-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by TD
Are you thinking of selling your E34?

What are it's specs? Mileage, age, options, etc.

I would LOVE an E34.
It is being sold. In fact, I decided if I don't get a good offer between the time I officially put it up for sale in early January until I take delivery of my 330i in late January / early February, I will trade it in and take whatever the dealer gives me.

asking $9,500 OBO

-1993 525i 5-spd
-M50TU engine (final technical update engine for DOHC 2.5 liter M50 with increased hp and torque under the curve)
-excellent condition
-112k miles
-Dinan springs
-Dinan revalved front Koni shocks / new OEM Boge rear shocks
-owned by one family (previously owned by my 70 year old dad for 6 years / 75k miles)
-brand new 17" 540i rims with 235/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Sport tires
-religiously maintained with all service records
-serviced at Otto's BMW for 75k miles
-serviced by J&J Motors after 75k miles (a $75/hr high brow import mechanic)
-JC chip (sharked)...est. horsepower is 211 (and feels like it)
-garaged night and day since new (shiny paint)
-repainted hood to cover stone chips two years ago (great paint job)
-snow tires with lots of tread on stock 15" wheels included
-exactly two BMW CCA driver's schools (in the interest of full disclosure)
-only option is heated seats (but 1993 525s had full leather, OBC, wood, sunroof, power seats...as standard)
-recent maintenance includes both upper & lower 750i control arms

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/PhilH/r10.jpg
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/PhilH/P1010019a.jpg
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/PhilH/web2.jpg

ARCHER
12-26-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by doeboy
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That was hilarious... and people ask me why I've wanted a Bimmer for so long.... maybe I should have'em go test drive one and find out....

I too was a skeptic until a few years ago. My wife talked me into driving a 328i one fine afternoon and I am now but a shadow of the man I once was.

One drive and the "fat lady" sang.

TD
12-26-2002, 02:55 PM
It is being sold. In fact, I decided if I don't get a good offer between the time I officially put it up for sale in early January until I take delivery of my 330i in late January / early February, I will trade it in and take whatever the dealer gives me.

-1993 525i 5-spd
-M50TU engine (final technical update engine for DOHC 2.5 liter M50 with increased hp and torque under the curve)
-excellent condition
-112k miles
-owned by one family (previously owned by my 70 year old dad for 6 years / 75k miles)
-only option is heated seats (but 1993 525s had full leather, OBC, wood, sunroof, power seats...as standard)

If it wasn't green, I'd be making arrangements to buy it RIGHT NOW. It's still just about perfect. I'll definitely mention it to my wife.

ARCHER
12-26-2002, 02:58 PM

asking $9,500 OBO

-1993 525i 5-spd
-excellent condition
-112k miles
-brand new 17" 540i rims with 235/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Sport tires

That is a gorgeous car - one of the best looking shells BMW ever produced, IMO.

gr8330
12-28-2002, 09:08 PM
That is a gorgeous car - one of the best looking shells BMW ever produced, IMO.