PDA

View Full Version : Over the holidays I took a 2,000 mile trip.

CD-55
12-27-2002, 08:20 AM
The week before Christmas, my GF, I drove down to FL to visit family and took some side trips to Williamsburg and POI’s in NC on the way there and back. This it quite a touring car once you wind 5th gear up to 3,500 RPM! I love putting my foot down at 80MPH only to feel it accelerate faster and faster as the speedometer heads up through the triple digits!

The lack of traffic and enforcement allowed me to average (per OBC) over 80MPH for several hundred miles. For several miles I was able to exercise at 100 MPH speeds. Occasionally when conditions permitted I was able to take it up to an indicated 130 MPH. I really wish it would be possible to go 130 MPH cross country… I would never buy an airline ticket again.

Now that I have 5,000 miles on the odometer this bimmer is starting to be less sluggish accelerating.

Plaz
12-27-2002, 09:38 AM
I took a short Vegas trip just before Christmas... went out there via Death Valley, and came back on the 58 across the desert... on both legs was able to really stretch out.

I'm convinced this car loves having these opportunities. The whole car feels snappier and more responsive, and smoother all around.

The "Bavarian Tune-Up" is indeed effective! :thumbup:

(Okay, it might all be in my head, but don't piss on my parade. :D)

Raffi
12-27-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Plaz

(Okay, it might all be in my head, but don't piss on my parade. :D)

:lmao: :lmao: I wouldn't do that, you know I REALLY exercised my car during our DV run. :D :D

Plaz
12-27-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Raffi
:lmao: :lmao: I wouldn't do that, you know I REALLY exercised my car during our DV run. :D :D

Indeed! :lmao: Have you dropped into limp-home mode again since then?

Raffi
12-27-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Plaz
Indeed! :lmao: Have you dropped into limp-home mode again since then?

Nope! :thumbup:

brave1heart
12-28-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by CD-55

The lack of traffic and enforcement allowed me to average (per OBC) over 80MPH for several hundred miles. For several miles I was able to exercise at 100 MPH speeds. Occasionally when conditions permitted I was able to take it up to an indicated 130 MPH. I really wish it would be possible to go 130 MPH cross country… I would never buy an airline ticket again.

Back in college, we drove from Boston to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. The average speed over the 1,650 or so miles came up to ~ 82 mph. We only stopped for gas and burgers and took turns driving between the three of us. Oh, and that was with an Oldsmobile Bravada!! If there were no speed limit, you could get from Boston to N'Orleans in ~ 13-14 hrs in a Bimmer, can you imagine? Coast to coast would be doable in about a day.