PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a JVC MP3 Headunit

Mystikal
12-27-2002, 03:13 PM
Well, after a day of running (literally) through the snow and shopping in east Toronto, I realized that the JVC CD deck that I wanted is sold out EVERYWHERE. So, I came home and ordered it online. Originally I was avoiding this route because I was scared of shipping costs. Turns out regular grounds 3-day shipping is 1.99. Next-day is 2.99. :banghead:

Here's the one I got:

http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/257/h257KDSX980-f.jpeg

JVC KD-SX980. Originally, I was interested in the much more attractive SH909 model, with a motorized aluminum faceplate, full colour graphics, etc, but when I compared the specs of the 2 I realized that most of the actual sound quality specs are identical. The expensive one just looks better and has more control over a full system. I have no intentions of further upgrading the components though, so I decided to save $230 and get this one. I paid $249 from Future Shop.

BTW, this isn't for the E46. This is a half-gift to my dad for the E30, as the factory stereo is limping. Of course, it will only encourage me to borrow his car more often...;)

nate
12-27-2002, 03:17 PM
We have something in common, I also gave my dad car audio for Christmas.

I got him the Alpine XM system. I'm anxious to see how it is, should be going in tomorrow. I might end up buying one for myself if it is as good as it seems :dunno:

TD
12-27-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

I got him the Alpine XM system. I'm anxious to see how it is, should be going in tomorrow. I might end up buying one for myself if it is as good as it seems :dunno:

Nate-

If you truly like music, XM is awesome. If you're into pop and what's cool, you might be bored.

For me, it's one of the purchases I'm most pleased with. I'm thinking about getting another XM tuner for the house.

And if you get the right adapter, you can easily play it through the stock headunit without using the RF modulator.

Mystikal
12-27-2002, 03:22 PM

Wow, nice gift! :thumbup:

I'm also very interested in the XM system, but with the 150+ song capability of the MP3 CD format I think this will keep my money in my wallet, at least for a little while. :D

nate
12-27-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by TD
Nate-

If you truly like music, XM is awesome. If you're into pop and what's cool, you might be bored.

For me, it's one of the purchases I'm most pleased with. I'm thinking about getting another XM tuner for the house.

And if you get the right adapter, you can easily play it through the stock headunit without using the RF modulator.

It will be installed tomorrow, I think that I will be impressed :p

And, I hate pop. I hear XM has a great selection of pop, for pop fans anyway. ;)

TD
12-27-2002, 03:40 PM
It will be installed tomorrow, I think that I will be impressed :p

And, I hate pop. I hear XM has a great selection of Pop, for pop fants. ;)

AFAIK, the Alpine unit will NOT work with the stock BMW headunit. How is he having it connected? Or is it not going in the M5?

nate
12-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by TD
AFAIK, the Alpine unit will NOT work with the stock BMW headunit. How is he having it connected? Or is it not going in the M5?

Yes, it is going in the M5.

I bought an RF. Alpine CRA-1667RF.

The salesman said it would work. I really didn't look into XM much, it was rather spontanious.

Everything is refundable if it is a problem. Rember, M5 has NAV. I was concerned about that. How will this work? :dunno:

TD
12-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Yes, it is going in the M5.

I bought an RF. Alpine CRA-1667RF.

The salesman said it would work. I really didn't look into XM much, it was rather spontanious.

Everything is refundable if it is a problem. Rember, M5 has NAV. I was concerned about that. How will this work? :dunno:

Even the Pioneer unit that you can get an adapter for comes with the RF modulator. I just didn't use it.

Sound quality will suffer significantly using the RF modulator. It'll still sound about as good as regular FM, but XM can sound near CD quality when connected directly.

To me, the content is more important than the sound quality, but the quality is a nice bonus.

nate
12-27-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by TD
Even the Pioneer unit that you can get an adapter for comes with the RF modulator. I just didn't use it.

Sound quality will suffer significantly using the RF modulator. It'll still sound about as good as regular FM, but XM can sound near CD quality when connected directly.

To me, the content is more important than the sound quality, but the quality is a nice bonus.

So, how should I get it connected without using the RF?

I'll take the car in tomorrow, should I see if there is a way to install it without the RF? Is there? Weren't you having a problem with your CD changer using XM?

I hope the receiver will work on the rear deck. That would be nasty on the trunk :confused:

Clarke
12-28-2002, 04:12 AM
Mystikal; How low in kilobits per second are you going to have to go to cram 150 songs on a CD? It would have to degrade sound quality quite a bit to compress/delete that much data.

Mystikal
12-28-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Clarke
Mystikal; How low in kilobits per second are you going to have to go to cram 150 songs on a CD? It would have to degrade sound quality quite a bit to compress/delete that much data.

considering that a CD is on average like 700mb now, that leaves 4.7 megs per track. That is a 4:45 128kb/s track, or 3:20 192kb/s. When you average all of the tracks I have, it probably is close to the 4.7 mark. :dunno: