PDA

View Full Version : 18’ or not

03BMW330
12-27-2002, 05:11 PM
I been looking at this picture, …I just love this setup

But wondering is it worth it $820.
Or should I sell M68 that come with the SP and go with aftermarket or AC SCHNITZER
Money wise what would be better?

Cliff
12-27-2002, 05:13 PM
If I had to do it again, I think I'd go aftermarket.

Clem
12-27-2002, 05:30 PM
Go aftermarket

beauport
12-27-2002, 06:19 PM
It's not like the oem 18" aren't good wheels quality wise. You'll have to decide what appeals to you more. I own these, like them and probably would buy them again. BTW, if you haven't seen them in real life on a car do so, they are much nicer than in pictures. They're a pain to keep clean with 20 spokes each. I tend to like stock appearances as I'm also at an age where many after market rims say the wrong thing about who I am. Comes down to what you really like yourself. On the practical side, $900 will not buy you a good set of after market 18" rims and tires.

Mathew
12-27-2002, 06:39 PM
you may wanna ask these guys what it's like to clean them. They look like a pain, that may be a factor. I think they are ok design wise, but do you think you would appreciate them that much if they were a hassle to clean?

edit - beauport already talked about cleaning, so do you think its worth it for you?

beauport
12-27-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Cliff3
If I had to do it again, I think I'd go aftermarket.

Cliff, just curious, what do you think you might go with if you were to do it over?

03BMW330
12-27-2002, 06:46 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AC Schnitzer-3 is like a $1100 a piece.

I am in wrong business. Looking at the rims there is 6 hours of setup time and 25 minutes apiece ($70 in material, $80 plating) not bad for day of work I got to admit there is more to it than what it looks like, but our tolerances in some optical housing are +/-.0003 and flatness in .0001 to .00005 in I don’t think that these require that kind of precision. But back to subject:

Do all aftermarkets require spacers?
I had so much trouble with mine before that I don’t want to bother with that any more.
Comparing M72 with ACS-3 they are bargain

did you guys try washing them with high-preasure washer.

beauport
12-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by 03BMW330

What's money at a time like this.....? :)

Cliff
12-27-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by beauport
Cliff, just curious, what do you think you might go with if you were to do it over?

At the moment, I'm really liking the BBS RG-Rs, particularly since they weigh under 9Kg in an 18" size. As far as cost goes, the 72Ms sell individually for ~$600, so they're not inexpensive wheels. The BBS wheels are probably over $700 each, though. Finally, I must be nuts because unlike everyone else (to include those with lots of opinions and no direct experience) I don't think cleaning the 72Ms is a big deal. :dunno:

03BMW330
12-27-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
you may wanna ask these guys what it's like to clean them. They look like a pain, that may be a factor. I think they are ok design wise, but do you think you would appreciate them that much if they were a hassle to clean?

did you guys try washing them with high-preasure washer.

italia550i
12-27-2002, 07:09 PM
At the moment, I'm really liking the BBS RG-Rs, particularly since they weigh under 9Kg in an 18" size.

I am pretty partial to the RG-Rs myself. :D

Cliff
12-27-2002, 07:12 PM
5 minutes/wheel with a brush and wheel cleaner followed (after I've washed and dried the car) by a couple of minutes on each wheel with a terry towel. No big whoop.

italia550i
12-27-2002, 07:20 PM
When they are going to be sold in the U.S and the sizes that are going to be available are a question though. I think 18x5 and 19x5 are the only sizes coming to the U.S. I ordered mine from Japan so that I could get the staggered set up.

Price wise, I think they are going to run about $460 for 18x8.5.

Cliff
12-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by italia330i
I am pretty partial to the RG-Rs myself. :D

I've got a couple of pictures of your unmounted wheels (from e46fans, probably) saved to another drive. I like those wheels from both a functional and esthetic point of view. In the meantime, I want to buy a house next summer, so priorities are priorities...

italia550i
12-27-2002, 07:40 PM
I like those wheels from both a functional and esthetic point of view. In the meantime, I want to buy a house next summer, so priorities are priorities...

Exact same reasons I purchased them. There was no way I was going to put on some bloated 24lb 18" wheel and effectively negate all the little engine mods that I paid way too much for.

Plus, I think they look great, nice little dish, a nice flat mesh, and the brilliant silver finish stands out nicely. The fact that they are forged and from BBS is just icing on the cake. :thumbup:

Oh and I already have the house, so all my domestic priorities have flown out the window. :lmao: :confused:

AF
12-27-2002, 08:53 PM
I been looking at this picture, …I just love this setup

But wondering is it worth it $820.
Or should I sell M68 that come with the SP and go with aftermarket or AC SCHNITZER
Money wise what would be better?

Are you ordering these or do you already have a 330i with M68's ? I'm a little confused because what you drive says '330'

If you already have the M68's and your able to pick up a set of the 18" wheels for only $820, it sounds like a bargain . . .

If you are just ordering now:

Are you aware that these 18" wheels are being changed to a newer design 18" wheel that looks beautiful in a few months? If you haven't already seen the new wheel, post back here and I will attached a link to it . . .

Also, keep in mind if you go with the 18" wheel option, you get a space saver spare where as you go with the M68, then you get a full size M68 wheel as a spare.

You could always get the M68's, sell 4 of them for at least $1200 and I bet you could get a set of the 72's for the same price therefore making it less money to buy them afterwards . . .

03BMW330
12-27-2002, 09:10 PM
I order a car for March 03 ED
I am trying not to get in to situation ” I should have order this” five month later.
So far I got Nav, Xenon, SP, H Seats
Let me see new design

AF
12-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Take a look at this link . . . you are ordering your car very close to the change over point . . . you better research a little more to make sure you are getting exactly what you want . . .
Your option list looks good, the only thing not on your list that I think is imperative is a sunroof . . .

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18004

03BMW330
12-27-2002, 09:24 PM
It’s just about done deal I am getting a car on 03/14/03 with my luck I will get last car with old design from production line.

I can care less for sunroof, had it on every car I ever owned have not had much use. My last nightmare was broken sunroof on my 96 VW passat.

Ty Vil
12-28-2002, 02:29 AM
18's are like asshole's now everybody has them. If I were you I'd go 19's.

doeboy
12-28-2002, 03:36 AM

Do all aftermarkets require spacers?
I had so much trouble with mine before that I don’t want to bother with that any more.

Yup.... Schnitzers are usually pretty bankage.... $_$

You won't need spacers if you get the right offset and make sure the rims will clear your brake calpers (if you were to have aftermerket calipers and such).

Jspeed
12-28-2002, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Ty Vil
So do you rather not have one? ;)

beauport
12-28-2002, 06:34 PM
At the moment, I'm really liking the BBS RG-Rs,......I don't think cleaning the 72Ms is a big deal. :dunno:

Thanks Cliff. BTW, while I said cleaning the M72's are a pain, I meant that in comparison to something that has like 4-7 spokes. I clean mine very similarly to what you described and it doesn't take long at all. Keeping them waxed makes the clean up pretty quick. They do look good on your car IMO.

Cliff
12-29-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by beauport
Thanks Cliff. BTW, while I said cleaning the M72's are a pain, I meant that in comparison to something that has like 4-7 spokes. I clean mine very similarly to what you described and it doesn't take long at all. Keeping them waxed makes the clean up pretty quick. They do look good on your car IMO.

On the other hand, you can get your towel-wrapped fingers anywhere they need to go on these wheels, unlike other designs. I do like the way they look, but I think I would prefer a wheel with a wider rim lip, and like most BMW wheels they are probably rather heavy.

Plaz
12-30-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Ty Vil

:tsk:

Honestly, I think anything bigger than 17s is compromising performance and ride quality for bling.

Great, if you're into that sort of thing -- more power to you. But functionally, it's all show no go, as far as I can tell.

Not to mention 19" wheels on an E46 would look pretty ridiculous IMO. They just barely look appropriate on the E65 behemoth. :dunno:

Plaz
12-30-2002, 12:36 AM
I just realized this thread is asking about 18-foot wheels. Now THAT would be unique! :lmao:

It's kind of a reverse Spinal Tap Stonehenge moment. :D

HW
12-30-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Plaz
:tsk:

Honestly, I think anything bigger than 17s is compromising performance and ride quality for bling.

Great, if you're into that sort of thing -- more power to you. But functionally, it's all show no go, as far as I can tell.

Not to mention 19" wheels on an E46 would look pretty ridiculous IMO. They just barely look appropriate on the E65 behemoth. :dunno:

i agree. only reason why race cars have the big rims is so that they can fit bigger brakes. i'm sure the preference would be for smaller lighter rims if it wasn't for the the big brake disks.

doeboy
12-30-2002, 01:38 AM
I just realized this thread is asking about 18-foot wheels. Now THAT would be unique! :lmao:

It's kind of a reverse Spinal Tap Stonehenge moment. :D

:lmao:

I can picture it now.... "Oh... but these go to eleven.... (feet)"

Plaz
12-30-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by doeboy
:lmao:

I can picture it now.... "Oh... but these go to eleven.... (feet)"

doeboy
12-30-2002, 02:31 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Jspeed
12-30-2002, 11:38 AM
Honestly, I think anything bigger than 17s is compromising performance and ride quality for bling...

Originally posted by HW
i agree. only reason why race cars have the big rims is so that they can fit bigger brakes...

You guys just reminded me an absurd phenomenon. A guy puts 19" wheels on his E46, and he thinks he's "pimping". But wait, now the stock brakes look smallish in comparison. No problem. Brembo 14" brakes come to the rescue. Tada! More bling. All these just for looks.

I'm not talking about anyone in specific, just something I see a lot in some "other" BBS. :rolleyes:

steve dunham
12-30-2002, 12:57 PM
Just my .02 cents. For $820, you might be able to buy 2 aftermarket wheels. I think the 18" MV's are nice and I've seen them in person. They are a PITA to clean though, unless you use wheelwax or something else to help keep the brake dust down. I'm planning to order these on my '03 330Ci for my summer tires and run the 17" M5 replica's from WheelEchange in the winter with dedicated snow tires... If you like to look different from everyone else, I'd go with the MV's... Seems there are lots of coupes and sedans with the Type 68's around, but not many with MV's...

The HACK
12-30-2002, 01:30 PM
18'?! That's like those GIANT dirt haulers at copper mines, you know, those 18 ton, 2 stories high gigantic giesel trucks no?

Personally I think 18"s are about as big as necessary on our cars...I can't imagine what type of work that's require to make 18' wheels fit. You may have to roll the fenders. :lmao: