PDA

View Full Version : I'm in Texas. Where are the BMW's?

JT - '02 330i
12-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Flew out to Texas late today. Flew into Houston, and drove to Nogdachoes(sp?)

Well, on the entire ride from Houston to Noga on rt 59 I counted exactly 0 BMW's.

On my normal morning commute I see at least 5-10 (it's only a 20 minute commute.)

What's the deal?

nate
12-27-2002, 09:06 PM
There are a ton of BMWs in Houston

Mr. The Edge
12-27-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
There are a ton of BMWs in Houston

yes, many many in Houston. Many in Austin too

nate
12-27-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by atyclb
yes, many many in Houston. Many in Austin too

I'm suprised that he didn't see one at the airport, and should have seen them on 59.

Hell, the airport was jammed today, I was out there in the 325 this afternoon.

Nbtstatic
12-27-2002, 09:16 PM
There are a few bmws in Dallas, but mostly 323i's :rolleyes:

I have only seen a couple of 330 coupes in the 3 months I've had mine, and thats just the way I like it. :D

Keep in mind your out in the country...would you see 5-10 driving through the countryside in...well, where ever your from?

JB330Ci
12-28-2002, 08:30 AM
Well, I am in west Plano, about 15-20 miles north of Dallas downtown. In the past few days I have seen bunch of 745i, Z4, 540i, 530, 525, 330, 328, 325, and Z3. Strangely enough, maybe it's Holidays I didn't see any M3 or M5 I used to see on my way to work every morning. I saw a 750i yesterday actually. Buy the way, if you drive on the Preston Road, LEXUS outnumbers any other manufacturers.

Stuka
12-28-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by JB330Ci
Well, I am in west Plano, about 15-20 miles north of Dallas downtown. In the past few days I have seen bunch of 745i, Z4, 540i, 530, 525, 330, 328, 325, and Z3. Strangely enough, maybe it's Holidays I didn't see any M3 or M5 I used to see on my way to work every morning. I saw a 750i yesterday actually. Buy the way, if you drive on the Preston Road, LEXUS outnumbers any other manufacturers.

When I was visiting my sister on my way back to LA after picking up the car in Indiana, I saw exactly 0 M3 besides myself in Plano, where she lives. BTW, I made the mistake of agreeing to go to a sushi joint in Plano, I KNEW I should have stuck to the steak and BBQ joints plan. And the sushi was expensive. My stomach felt ill for a week afterwards.

Going west on the 10 I saw 0 M3, and something like 2 BMW's. But lots of signs that says "Watch your speed, we are" from your friendly Texas Troopers. Then as soon as I crossed into the California border, I started seeing BMW's everywhere, still no M3 though.

That was in February of this year. Of course I now see boat loads of M3 on Wilshire corridor where I live.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

hmr
12-28-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by JT - '02 330i
... What's the deal?

Beamers ain't for country folk y'all. I'd watch your *ss with a Beamer in the country. Shoot, only trucks with that li'l boy pissing on a Ford is proper transpo'tation!

Nat Brown
12-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by hmr
Beamers ain't for country folk y'all. I'd watch your *ss with a Beamer in the country. Shoot, only trucks with that li'l boy pissing on a Ford is proper transpo'tation!

Have your relatives check out this web site for a translation of this thread:

Texas Translation (http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=redneck&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bimmerfest.com%2Fforums%2Fsho wthread.php%3Fs%3D%26threadid%3D18247)

--gary

operknockity
12-28-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by hmr
Beamers
Repeat after me... bimmer, Bimmer, BIMMER, BIMMER, BIMMER, BIMMER!, BIMMER!, BIMMER! :D

http://www.bmwccbc.org/misc/tech-and-trivia/bimmer.html

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/reference/bimmer-beemer.asp

Plaz
12-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Seems bimmers are definitely a car for city folk.

I drove up to Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP yesterday, and on the way back, stopped in Visalia for a bite to eat.

I noticed 0 BMWs there. None, nada, zip. Lots of SUVs, pickups, and small, cheap Japanese econoboxes. And one Cadulack. :dunno:

JT - '02 330i
12-28-2002, 12:52 PM
After day two in Texas.

I'm pretty much in the boonies. On a half hour ride today, I did find one toyota corolla. Otherwise, it was either large size american or american pickups (the dirtier the better.)

Two intersting items for the day:

In Texas, you don't just take your groceries from the checkstand to your cart, the bagger grabs the cart and runs to the car, with expection of a tip after assiting them to your car. Rather nice, but not the self serve I'm accustomed to in N.Cal.

The people here are DAMN friendly. Nearly anyone will say Hi, and really mean it. I had a McDonads attendant sincerly appologise for me not getting enough ketchup. Generally in N.Cal you're lucky to get a grunt.

-----------------

On a more serious thought, are BMW's really just a city car?

How is the perspective of the owner and general public different in areas of high and low concentration of BMWs?

Is this simply a money follows location equation?

Nat Brown
12-28-2002, 01:37 PM
On a more serious thought, are BMW's really just a city car?

How is the perspective of the owner and general public different in areas of high and low concentration of BMWs?

Is this simply a money follows location equation?

There's the issue of money, which is certainly concentrated in big cities. Then there's functionality, which the BMW E46 lacks entirely -- small trunk, easily bent wheels, etc. Then there's the issue of mileage. Live in a rural area and you might put a trendous number of miles on your car if you plan to regularly visit the big city. That's another function of money. How about service? Good luck finding a dealership within a few hours drive. There's certainly an issue of cultural values, where buying American is not only patriotic, but essential for the survival of much of the working class.

JB330Ci
12-28-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Stuka
When I was visiting my sister on my way back to LA after picking up the car in Indiana, I saw exactly 0 M3 besides myself in Plano, where she lives. BTW, I made the mistake of agreeing to go to a sushi joint in Plano, I KNEW I should have stuck to the steak and BBQ joints plan. And the sushi was expensive. My stomach felt ill for a week afterwards.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

Hey Andy,

Which Sushi place did your sis take you to? There are only a couple of good Sushi places here in north Dallas that I know of. California, or should I've said both east and west coasts should have lot more good sushi places. I envy you guys there. That's why it's so expensive here and the quality sucks. You should have stick to the STEAKS here in Texas, IMHO.

BTW, the dealer here, Classic BMW claims they are the no. 1 dealer in the US in terms of size. They do sell lots of BMWs though. They said they had 200 BMW loaners but every time I take my car in they were always out of them (I bought the car there!!!). I saw three new 745i in one hour in Plano one day and guess what? They were all driven by old ladies. I do see some M5s and M3s. M5s mostly driven by 50-60 years old guys and M3 drivers are younger, some are in their early 20's, must have a rich dad I guess. No matter what, SUV's and pickup trucks rule the streets here, then the Lexus RX300s, they are everywhere.:D

Mystikal
12-28-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Nbtstatic

:confused: :flipoff:

TxnBluDvl
12-28-2002, 06:04 PM
As another transplanted Texan, I'll chime in too. In Houston, flooding has become a very serious problem as of late. I have at least three friends who have foregone getting a BMW (notwithstanding the X5) because of a need for more ground clearance. My family is contemplating getting an SUV because of the frequency with which it's started to flood. Speculation is abound that it is a result of the new highway expansion they're putting in without enough of an sewage infrastructure.

With regard to people not being car crazy in Texas, I'll beg to differ. I think the focus is different -- more towards non-sports cars. However, it's interesting to note that I've heard that the Porsche dealership in Houston (Don McGill) is one of the highest volume dealers in the nation. Something about a lot of oil money being around that town.

Just my two cents. Back to another rainy day in the Bay area...

Nat Brown
12-28-2002, 06:48 PM
My inlaws in Alaska think I'm a bit odd for being so into my car. In Alaska, cars get seriously thrashed, and you'll find few BMW's outside of Anchorage (called "Los Anchorage" by the pre-pipeline natives who have seen the town explode into a strip mall metropolis).

Cars in Alaska, like Texas, are functional, inexepensive and badly beaten. You'll find few cars in Alaska without cracked windshields, for example. Cars of choice tend to be subarus and trucks. Instead of a nice car, guys like us would be more likely to get a nice plane.

--gary

TxnBluDvl
12-29-2002, 01:05 PM
I totally agree -- the car culture is similar, just a little more fanatical out here in CA. I've never seen people change through cars so quickly before. It's hard not to get caught up in it.

About the rain -- I was actually in Vegas last weekend -- and it rained the entire time I was there. That was also the weekend when it apparently wasn't raining in the Bay Area. I just can't get any sort of break. :(

Nbtstatic
12-30-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by JB330Ci

West Plano? Same here, I didnt know any of you guys were so close. I'm over in the Legacy/Preston Area. I see a few new 7's around from time to time, but mostly 323 with old ladies in them. And your exactly right about the Lexus, there are more of those little lexus suv? things here than anywhere I've seen. Park Place must make some serious cash.

Bill325Ci
12-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by TxnBluDvl
As another transplanted Texan, I'll chime in too. In Houston, flooding has become a very serious problem as of late. I have at least three friends who have foregone getting a BMW (notwithstanding the X5) because of a need for more ground clearance. My family is contemplating getting an SUV because of the frequency with which it's started to flood. Speculation is abound that it is a result of the new highway expansion they're putting in without enough of an sewage infrastructure.

My solution to this, for the really rainy days, is my Ford F-150 .

bluer1
12-30-2002, 03:05 PM

I have only seen a couple of 330 coupes in the 3 months I've had mine, and thats just the way I like it. :D

Keep in mind your out in the country...would you see 5-10 driving through the countryside in...well, where ever your from?

You're in the wrong part of Dallas then!
:rolleyes:
I've been refering to them as "North Dallas Civics"
for about a year now. Move out of the sticks, guys!
;)

The closest BMW dealership to Nacogdoches being Shreveport
puts a damper on sales - not to mention that many of the CRs
there are still unpaved and the size of a man's truck.....
you get the idea.

Out of curiosity - what the h3ll posessed you to go to Nac? SFA?

Stuka, a Sushi place in Plano? Bad move man... There's not a
decent one in the DFW metroplex - I'd buy better on the way
home from work in a Hatagaya alley!
:thumbup:

Bruce
12-30-2002, 04:56 PM
West Plano? Same here, I didnt know any of you guys were so close. I'm over in the Legacy/Preston Area. I see a few new 7's around from time to time, but mostly 323 with old ladies in them. And your exactly right about the Lexus, there are more of those little lexus suv? things here than anywhere I've seen. Park Place must make some serious cash.

Legacy and 121 here.

naiel
12-30-2002, 09:58 PM
i'm also in west plano (on legacy). I have to disagree. I see many BMWs everyday, especially on preston and the tollway. I will agree, however, that the RX300s are everywhere. I own one myself. It is almost the exact opposite of my 530, but it is a pleasure to drive as well. Welcome to Plano by the way, it's bland, but I like it ;) .

glaws
12-31-2002, 03:56 AM
Well, I'll chime in here. Live in Arlington and work in mid North Dallas (LBJ/Skillman) and see quite a few BMW's. As the man said mostly 323-330's a few 5's and the occasional 7. About what I would expect. Virtually no M3's of whatever age. Saw a dark green E46 M3 Cab about a month ago and nearly ran off the road at the sighting! No one knows anything about the M3 here or what the car represents. I like it that way.
A friend of mine bought a Mustang Mach One the other day and is very proud of it. I suspect it has a solid rear axle, small brakes and a VERY LARGE V8. Modern muscle car. Didnt have the hear to tell him what I thought of it.

JetBlack330i
12-31-2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Dave 330i
I heard on the news that Texas had the most executions in 2002, far exceeding any other states. I would be more concern about the attitude of its citizens on capitol punishment rather than the type of cars they drive.
That's right. As the highway signs arround here say... Don't mess with Texas. :flipoff:

JetBlack330i
12-31-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by hmr
:lmao: :thumbup:

Mr. The Edge
12-31-2002, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Dave 330i
I heard on the news that Texas had the most executions in 2002, far exceeding any other states. I would be more concern about the attitude of its citizens on capitol punishment rather than the type of cars they drive.

what did the capitol ever do to you, dave?

http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/coordsys/gif/capitol.gif

Artslinger
12-31-2002, 06:18 AM
I don't know this sounds like damn nice car to me.

2003 Mach 1, Price 28,300:

An all-aluminum MOD 4.6-liter (281 cubic inches) 4-valve DOHC V-8 that produces 305 horsepower and 320 foot-pounds of torque. The engine makes use of a 10.1:1 compression ratio and has specially calibrated camshafts, a modified upper intake to accommodate the ram-air system, a heated PCV, a forged crankshaft (cast crank in automatic transmission application) and performance exhaust manifolds.

And a The “ram air” "shaker" scoop, fitted through an opening in the hood, channels fresh air directly to the intake runners increasing the breathing and optimizing intake turbulence for improved power and torque.

Front coil springs with adapted load and rate Gas-pressurized Tokico© struts in front with stabilizer bar.

The rear has a 4-bar link with coil springs on lower arm and a stabilizer bar.

Added frame rail connectors to stiffen the body.

Thirteen-inch Brembo® and performance calipers.

bluer1
12-31-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by glaws
Well, I'll chime in here. Live in Arlington and work in mid North Dallas (LBJ/Skillman) and see quite a few BMW's. As the man said mostly 323-330's a few 5's and the occasional 7. About what I would expect. Virtually no M3's of whatever age. Saw a dark green E46 M3 Cab about a month ago and nearly ran off the road at the sighting! No one knows anything about the M3 here or what the car represents. I like it that way.
A friend of mine bought a Mustang Mach One the other day and is very proud of it. I suspect it has a solid rear axle, small brakes and a VERY LARGE V8. Modern muscle car. Didnt have the hear to tell him what I thought of it.

Then you see me drive mine by every morning! I pass through
the Skillman & 635 zoo twice daily in my commute.

Funny that the folks that aren't seeing BMWs in Dallas don't
live in Dallas. There's several E46 M3s in my neighborhood and
you can't "swing a dead cat" without tagging an E36 M3.
330s/328s are a dime a dozen in Dallas.

JT - '02 330i
12-31-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by bluer1

Out of curiosity - what the h3ll posessed you to go to Nac? SFA?

[/B]

Had a wedding to go to. Wedding was nice, family was nice to visit. Nac.. Blows.

I figured out that CR means county road. Didn't figure out what FM was (Farm? ......)

In CA, you get off of the exit when you see the food or gas at the exit. How are you supposed to do it in Texas? I always found that the damn frontage roads forced you to get off WAY before what you want to go to or spend LOTS of time doing U-Turns. Is there an easier way?

Happy to be home now....

Mr. The Edge
12-31-2002, 07:42 AM
FM=Farm-to-Market

bluer1
12-31-2002, 07:56 AM
Had a wedding to go to. Wedding was nice, family was nice to visit. Nac.. Blows.

I figured out that CR means county road. Didn't figure out what FM was (Farm? ......)

In CA, you get off of the exit when you see the food or gas at the exit. How are you supposed to do it in Texas? I always found that the damn frontage roads forced you to get off WAY before what you want to go to or spend LOTS of time doing U-Turns. Is there an easier way?

Happy to be home now....

I went to college at SFA.

Funny thing is, my experience with CA is similar. I couldn't figure
out the exits in the Bay Area. I've got 50 ft. to slow down and
make a right angle turn and then I've no idea where I am since
I can't see the highway!

I guess it's just what you're used to.

Of course, part of that is probably just Houston. Dallas is much
easier to get around in and Austin was as well, years ago when
I lived there, (I think it's changed though - lots of Californians
have immigrated).
;)

If you ever have to go back you can catch a flight to Dallas
and then hop an Eagle flight (Saab/ATR) to Tyler and drive to
Nac - it's a lot shorter than the (incredibly boring) drive from
Houston.

Nbtstatic
12-31-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by bluer1
Then you see me drive mine by every morning! I pass through
the Skillman & 635 zoo twice daily in my commute.

Funny that the folks that aren't seeing BMWs in Dallas don't
live in Dallas. There's several E46 M3s in my neighborhood and
you can't "swing a dead cat" without tagging an E36 M3.
330s/328s are a dime a dozen in Dallas.

No my house is not in the city limits of Dallas, and I'm very glad. However I spend most of my time at work, One Main Place downtown, and a good amount of time dirivng back and forth. 90 percent of what I see are 323i's, or as you call them north dallas civics :lmao: . When I'm in Plano/Frisco, I do see alot of e46 M3's, when I'm in Dallas, it changes into E36 M3's

bluer1
12-31-2002, 08:44 AM
No my house is not in the city limits of Dallas, and I'm very glad. However I spend most of my time at work, One Main Place downtown, and a good amount of time dirivng back and forth. 90 percent of what I see are 323i's, or as you call them north dallas civics :lmao: . When I'm in Plano/Frisco, I do see alot of e46 M3's, when I'm in Dallas, it changes into E36 M3's

I've been threatening to put a Civic emblem on my decklid.
:D
I know I won't, but I'm still considering having a license plate
frame made up that says "North Dallas Civic."

I live in Dallas and work in Plano. While I don't care for the city, (mangement, services, etc.), I do love the neighborhood I'm in,
(Mockingbird & Skillman area). It's a very diverse mix - everything
from dotcom millionaires to Mexican immigrants living 2-3 families
to a house.

glaws
12-31-2002, 08:17 PM
Dave330I the town you are wondering about is "White Settlement". This little town was named for one the original settlers whose last name was White. It is actually on the northwestern edge of Fort Worth. Nothing to do with race. One of the previous posters said that most of us who didnt see many M3's didnt live in Dallas. Well, very true. Some live in Plano, some (like myself) live in other suburbs. But the whole area has merged into one humongous metroplex (the DFW SMA) where about the only way one can tell if you have passed out of one 'burb into another is the color of the street signs. This area has more than 3 million people. Relatively few of them actually live in the City of Dallas. Actually I suspect that you will find quite a few more BMW's of every stripe in Highland Park rather than in "Dallas". Another thing many posters fail to recognize is that Texas is HUGE. The state is about the size of England plus France and the distances between the major metroxplex's is VAST,mostly poor and relatively sparsely populated. Another reason for the scarcety of BMW's outside the major SMA's.

Plaz
12-31-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by atyclb
what did the capitol ever do to you, dave?

http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/coordsys/gif/capitol.gif

http://www.news.harvard.edu/guide/students/images/yrbook/gw_bush.jpg

bluer1
12-31-2002, 09:25 PM
Dave330I the town you are wondering about is "White Settlement". This little town was named for one the original settlers whose last name was White. It is actually on the northwestern edge of Fort Worth. Nothing to do with race. One of the previous posters said that most of us who didnt see many M3's didnt live in Dallas. Well, very true. Some live in Plano, some (like myself) live in other suburbs. But the whole area has merged into one humongous metroplex (the DFW SMA) where about the only way one can tell if you have passed out of one 'burb into another is the color of the street signs. This area has more than 3 million people. Relatively few of them actually live in the City of Dallas. Actually I suspect that you will find quite a few more BMW's of every stripe in Highland Park rather than in "Dallas". Another thing many posters fail to recognize is that Texas is HUGE. The state is about the size of England plus France and the distances between the major metroxplex's is VAST,mostly poor and relatively sparsely populated. Another reason for the scarcety of BMW's outside the major SMA's.

I always get a gas out of it when people ask "why didn't you just
drive to Houston/Austin?" Uh... well...

I see more E46s in my area of Dallas than Highland Park. I suspect
it's mostly due to SMU, (I'm just the other side of 75 from it). It's
the M streets, so it's a bit more of an "upwardly mobile" crowd.
I think a BMW would be a step down for most of the folks that
actually live in HP. I've seen everything over there from Astons
to Cords - Rolls don't even get a second look there.

Nbtstatic
01-02-2003, 08:09 AM

Just so ya know, the figure is well above 5 million now...

z3power
01-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Transplant from NY then to both North and South Carolina and finally here.
Seen plenty of BMWs here, Z3, 3s, 5s, 7s, and some of the newer Z4s.