PDA

View Full Version : Can whiskey go bad?

JayK330
01-04-2007, 07:31 PM
I had the worst experience ever on New Years Eve. I only had 3 cups of whiskey and coke (about half inch of whiskey per cup). I ended up being beyond effed up and passed out and woke up in my friends spare bedroom sometime early morning. All I remember was sitting down and then I began throwing up and that was it.

I'm no noob to whiskey, use to drink Wild Turkey 101 in college like water and never had this affect. The whiskey I was drinking was given to me by my uncle. He received it at his wedding in '95 and never opened it and gave it to me about a week prior. It was Old Forester for those wondering.

My question is could it have gone bad in that time, or did it maybe somehow age and become extra potent (I doubt the aging of it personally). Just trying to figure out if that was why this happened or if I maybe ate something that could have gotten me sick.

Thanks if you can help.

Eviil30
01-04-2007, 07:48 PM
$hit happens, we've all been there, sometimes i can drink beers and shots all night and be fine, other times i barely drink more than a six pack and feel like $hit, just one of those things.(and thats not a reference to that song by that chick)

the_s_rabbit
01-04-2007, 07:56 PM
It shouldn't go bad or get more potent. How much whiskey was in these drinks? I'd bet at least 2 oz. worth, quite possibly more. You could have simply had too much too fast. Were you taking any medicines or anything? That could do it too.

It not, I'd put my money on food poisoning. Holiday get togethers are prime breeding grounds for harmful bacteria.
People just leave those chip and dip trays out all night and that's not good.

TeamM3
01-04-2007, 08:01 PM
I had the worst experience ever on New Years Eve. I only had 3 cups of whiskey and coke (about half inch of whiskey per cup).

I warned you about using a 5 gallon bucket as a cup .. :p

Dave 330i
01-04-2007, 09:24 PM

TimmyTimmy
01-04-2007, 09:53 PM
It not, I'd put my money on food poisoning. Holiday get togethers are prime breeding grounds for harmful bacteria.
People just leave those chip and dip trays out all night and that's not good.

:stupid:

Jever
01-04-2007, 11:16 PM
YOu just had a bad night. A couple of years ago I got home from work and was outside with the dog and took exactly one sip from my glass of bourbon and water and I puked all over the side of my house. It was a struggle finishing the glass but I figured I owed it to the liquor gods after having hurled after one SIP.

As far as for party food, well, you get what you get. People pawing all over things, foods staying out well past their safe handling times...etc. To some point I think the exposure is good b/c you can build up your immune system. On the other hand, catching the plague isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Patrick
01-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I vote for some bad food that didn't agree with your guts.

I uh, I have been known to drink some whiskey from time to time :eek: and have never heard of it spoiling in the bottle (but Pinecone could really give us the low down on this).

On the 24th, my wife put out the traditional baked ham dinner plus all of the trimmings, with the fine flatware and silverware. This usually includes a lot of fish (wife is a crayfish famer) for cold starters. She really enjoys caviar, and this season, she bought some fresh salmon "caviar" that had not been frozen.

Although she had a few finely blended vodka martinis (two olives, short glass, stirred) before we ate, she was not over the edge. We feasted on the food, and then about an hour after doing the dishes, all hell broke loose - from both ends. She was ill for the next 24 hours.

I don't like fish eggs, and always skip that, plus most raw fish. I did however, eat everything that she ate, aside from the fish eggs, and I was fine.

Needless to say, it wasn't a very pleasant holiday for her.

geebeemer
01-05-2007, 05:20 AM
I disagree with everyone above my post - I think you need to send that bottle to me right away, I have some tests I'd like to run on the suspect libation - its for a college course I'm taking... honest... :angel:

London Talking
01-05-2007, 05:37 AM
Whisky can certainly go bad in the sense that it loses its taste if it sits in a bottle that has been opened for years. This is due to oxidisation of the alcohol, the exact time it takes for a noticeable difference in taste varies and is dependent on many factors, such as type of whiskey, amount left in a bottle etc... It could be that if you open a nice bottle of Highland Park pour a few glasses then close the bottle, it could take years before you would notice a drop in quality. If you open up a cheap bottle of Teachers, and leave a couple of measures in the bottle, then the taste will be on the way out within a year or two.

Of course, this is for people who have a strong pallet, if you are going to mix it with Coke, add many more years to what I have said.

The bad state you were in however, would more likely be due to bad food rather than the whisky.

pjhansman
01-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I'll support the "food poisoning" theory.....provided you were with people you trust and nothing else was added to your drink. Your symptoms could be caused by things besides bad food.

In other news.....people got sick (one died) drinking punch on New Years that had apparently been mixed in old windshield washer fluid containers. http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/2007/01/04/3155453-sun.html

ObD
01-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Are you sure it wasn't Southern Comfort? :rofl: That's bad when new.

TeamM3
01-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Are you sure it wasn't Southern Comfort? :rofl: That's bad when new.

:flipoff: :slap: :throw: :flame: :spank:

not to mention that SC is caramel liqeuer, not whiskey

and whiskey only goes "bad" if the top is left off, and the "bad" part is that the alcohol burns off

tgee
01-07-2007, 10:09 AM
:flipoff: :slap: :throw: :flame: :spank:

not to mention that SC is caramel liqeuer, not whiskey

and whiskey only goes "bad" if the top is left off, and the "bad" part is that the alcohol burns off

AND it's good.

Jever
01-07-2007, 10:39 AM
AND it's good.
For cleaning copper and brass.

///M3lissa
01-07-2007, 12:14 PM
For cleaning copper and brass.

Really? I thought that was what grappa was for?

Jever
01-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Really? I thought that was what grappa was for?
I don't know but it tastes horrible and so does gas. Gas cleans everything so I assume SoCo will do the same.

///M3lissa
01-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't know but it tastes horrible and so does gas. Gas cleans everything so I assume SoCo will do the same.

Sounds just like grappa. That stuff is like rocket fuel. :thumbdwn:

Jever
01-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Sounds just like grappa. That stuff is like rocket fuel. :thumbdwn:
I've never heard of grappa but I can attest to Night train being a gawdawful concoction.