PDA

View Full Version : clearcoat off rims...

NSXtoBMW
01-04-2007, 09:09 PM
whats the best way to remove clearcoat of my Breyton Magics??? The previous owner did a really half ass job on them. Its cominoff in sections and looks like ass. Any suggestions on a product or technique to remove it completely? And what should I do once it is off... polish and keep it waxed?

Thanks for and info!

NSXtoBMW
01-05-2007, 01:52 PM
anybody... :dunno:

dboy11
01-05-2007, 02:51 PM
whats the best way to remove clearcoat of my Breyton Magics??? The previous owner did a really half ass job on them. Its cominoff in sections and looks like ass. Any suggestions on a product or technique to remove it completely? And what should I do once it is off... polish and keep it waxed?

Thanks for and info!

What are the rims made from?

NSXtoBMW
01-06-2007, 03:24 PM
What are the rims made from?

I believe they are made of aluminum...

dboy11
01-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Are you talking about removing the black part on the center? to me looking at the lip of the rim they look like polished aluminium, meaning that they are not clear coated. Take some polish and rub an area if that turns black then its not clear coated

NSXtoBMW
01-08-2007, 11:17 AM
actually they are clear coated. The pic in my sig is photoshopped. I bought the rims from another BMW owner and soon after I started to notice that they had been clearcoated. Very half-ass job too!!!! It didnt take long before pieces started to chip, and peal away...

I want to polich the lips but Im just looking for a way to remove the existing clearcoat before I do.

Thanks!!!

dboy11
01-08-2007, 11:35 AM
You can take the clear off with Airplane Stripper available online or at most decent auto parts stores....Make sure that you are well protected its not the best stuff to get on your skin or breath.

You might also look around your area for a shop that can do this for you, any good rim stores would be a start.

Johnz3mc
01-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I concur with Dboy. Years ago I stripped the clear off my 5.0 wheels with a heavy duty gel type paint stripper and the process worked well. Messy, but well.
-John C.