PDA

View Full Version : XM installed in the M5


nate
12-28-2002, 07:43 PM
I like it. So far, the hardest part is choosing a channel to listen to. Lots of stuff that you don't hear often, and with such a huge choice, it will take a wile to pick good stations. I like all the news choices, esp. the BBC. Always like BBC news reports.

Anyway, the shop did a pretty good job.

They removed the useless cupholders and manufactured a black vynyl panel to cover it up. The remote fits nicely in front of the controller.

http://e46fanatics.com/members/nate328Ci/XM_M53.jpg

Hid the tuner in the trunk

http://e46fanatics.com/members/nate328Ci/XM_M52.jpg

The receiver is on the roof; doesn't look great, but the most functional place to put it.

http://e46fanatics.com/members/nate328Ci/XM_M51.jpg

Sound quality is very good, even with the RF box. It took the installer 7 hours for all the work. :yikes:

nate
12-28-2002, 07:47 PM
On a side note, I hadn't driven this car since the weather got cool, it is sooooo fast now that the temperature dropped.

Always fighting for traction under throttle, more so that I can ever remember. Countering oversteer for staight line acceleration all the way to 3rd. And I doubt that it's from the torn out rear sway bar bracket. (RE brackets are on the way)

I would lose my licence in this car :D

btw, I set off the alarm on a Mustang backing the M5 out of a parking spot :yikes:

TD
12-28-2002, 08:16 PM
I'd estimate that 90+% of the time I'm listening to channel 43, "XMU". Try it.

nate
12-28-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by TD
I'd estimate that 90+% of the time I'm listening to channel 43, "XMU". Try it.

I listened to it for a while :p

I have been tempted, and may have to buy it for myself :eeps:

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-28-2002, 08:50 PM
I give up.
I'm going to go buy it. :p

Tomorrow, I think.

TD
12-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
I give up.
I'm going to go buy it. :p

Tomorrow, I think.

Okay, two things to remember:

1- If you want to retain your stock headunit AND not use RF modulation, get the Pioneer unit and a Blitzsafe adapter that connects it through the CD changer pre-wire. That combo is your only option for RF modulator-free hook-up. And Blitzsafe offers an adapter that also allows you to use your CD changer. And the Pioneer unit will fit in your ashtray.

2- You have the XM in BMW installation braintrust here locally. CD-55 has put it in his E46 while JST, Jetfire and I have done installs in our E36s. Hit us up for help if you need it.

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by TD
Okay, two things to remember:

1- If you want to retain your stock headunit AND not use RF modulation, get the Pioneer unit and a Blitzsafe adapter that connects it through the CD changer pre-wire. That combo is your only option for RF modulator-free hook-up. And Blitzsafe offers an adapter that also allows you to use your CD changer. And the Pioneer unit will fit in your ashtray.

2- You have the XM in BMW installation braintrust here locally. CD-55 has put it in his E46 while JST, Jetfire and I have done installs in our E36s. Hit us up for help if you need it.

Well... It looks like I can rebate the Delphi unit WITH both car and home adaptors down well below a hundred bucks. I expect that the quality is sufficient (besides, with S-03s on the car, it's not like I can hear the radio, anyhow. ;)), and it appeals to the cheap bastard within me. Especially the cheap bastard that is budgeting for a third set of wheels and tires, driver's schools and a ****load of autoxes next year. (Not to mention the vague possibility of sways.) All in all, I'm trying to keep car related expenditures down. :p

Pinecone
12-29-2002, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Well... It looks like I can rebate the Delphi unit WITH both car and home adaptors down well below a hundred bucks. I expect that the quality is sufficient (besides, with S-03s on the car, it's not like I can hear the radio, anyhow. ;)), and it appeals to the cheap bastard within me. Especially the cheap bastard that is budgeting for a third set of wheels and tires, driver's schools and a ****load of autoxes next year. (Not to mention the vague possibility of sways.) All in all, I'm trying to keep car related expenditures down. :p

Where are you getting the Delphi? What rebates?

And don't forget you also need the RF modulator as that is not included.

The reson I ask is I am looking at hte Delphi also. I like that I can use it in more than one car and at home. I also like the orange lighting and the extra on screen info.

bh330ci
12-29-2002, 06:39 AM
Get a BMWPila adapter and as long as you don't mind using an aux input in the trunk you can use the Delphi as an aux source. The only things you'll need are the delphi unit, the cassette car kit, and a mini-jack to RCA cable.EDIT-and of course the adapter

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tDEx7gGFEW5/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=040SA10000

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-tDEx7gGFEW5/ProdView.asp?s=0&i=040SA10002&o=&a+

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-tDEx7gGFEW5/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=9&g=20110&I=137ACW339&o=m&a=0

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tDEx7gGFEW5/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=541BMWPILA

Guest2075
12-29-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by bh330ci
Get a BMWPila adapter and as long as you don't mind using an aux input in the trunk you can use the Delphi as an aux source. The only things you'll need are the delphi unit, the cassette car kit, and a mini-jack to RCA cable.EDIT-and of course the adapter


Ok, I'm confused now (not that it's hard to confuse me, of course)....why do I need the cassette kit if I'm going to run the unit thru the aux input w/ the adapter?

Doug

bh330ci
12-29-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by DougP
Ok, I'm confused now (not that it's hard to confuse me, of course)....why do I need the cassette kit if I'm going to run the unit thru the aux input w/ the adapter?

Doug

For the Cradle, power adapter, and mini-jack output. The main unit is useless w/o one of the kits.

Guest2075
12-29-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by bh330ci
For the Cradle, power adapter, and mini-jack output. The main unit is useless w/o one of the kits.

Doh.

Thanks

Doug

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-29-2002, 11:26 AM
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.cfm?start=0&catid=18&threadid=131379

At any rate, I decided to apply one final test before going out and buying the kit: Listening to the stream for several hours.

I'm sad to say that it failed the test. I think my musical tastes are just too weird and eclectic. :p

Mr. The Edge
12-29-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd

At any rate, I decided to apply one final test before going out and buying the kit: Listening to the stream for several hours.

I'm sad to say that it failed the test. I think my musical tastes are just too weird and eclectic. :p

gotta have more cowbell?

TD
12-29-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.cfm?start=0&catid=18&threadid=131379

At any rate, I decided to apply one final test before going out and buying the kit: Listening to the stream for several hours.

I'm sad to say that it failed the test. I think my musical tastes are just too weird and eclectic. :p

Explain. What were you listening to?

TD
12-29-2002, 11:59 AM
BTW, speaking of eclectic, do you ever listen to KCRW?

They have a music-only stream I listen to at work- http://www.kcrwmusic.com/

Pinecone
12-29-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by bh330ci
Get a BMWPila adapter and as long as you don't mind using an aux input in the trunk you can use the Delphi as an aux source. The only things you'll need are the delphi unit, the cassette car kit, and a mini-jack to RCA cable.EDIT-and of course the adapter


Why can't sombody just make a unit that will add aux inputs to the BMW I-Bus? And still let me use my stock CD-Changer. :dunno:

The BlitzSafe is close, and I could even switch to the Alpine changer which uses the same disk magazines as the BMW, but I like the Delphi unit more, so would rather have Aux inputs rather than Pioneer interface.

Oh well, I guess it just won't be. :(

Didn't I read somewhere that newer ('03) BMWs have an Aux input???

Mr. The Edge
12-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Pinecone


Didn't I read somewhere that newer ('03) BMWs have an Aux input???

They were supposed to, but they don't