PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Auto Show

AndyM
12-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Anyone going to the Detroit Auto Show want to get together for a beer? I am not sure what day I am going to go, and if there is enough people interested in getting a group rate ($4.00 off ticket price) let me know and we can start planning.

Link (http://www.naias.com/main.asp?sectionID=62)

JST
12-30-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by AndyM
Anyone going to the Detroit Auto Show want to get together for a beer? I am not sure what day I am going to go, and if there is enough people interested in getting a group rate ($4.00 off ticket price) let me know and we can start planning.

I plan to be there on the 19th; I am looking forward to the BMW pavillion and the owner's club they set up there.

Randy Forbes
12-30-2002, 09:35 PM

We'll be there Saturday the 11th (first public day).

What day are you planning on going?

Kind of a ritual for us...
Dinner at Real Seafood afterwards.

Last year we broke with tradition and took delivery of the X5 after the show and before the salad:thumbup:

JonM
12-30-2002, 09:53 PM
That will be the day...

Andy eating seafood.

Do fish sticks count??

:flipoff:

AndyM
12-30-2002, 10:16 PM
Randy, I wanted to go that weekend. I have a buddy who wants to go but I have to work around his schedule. I will let you know in the next day or two when I know more. You saw what I ordered for lunch, ain't no way I'm eatin' fish! :confused:

Randy Forbes
12-30-2002, 10:22 PM
You saw what I ordered for lunch, ain't no way I'm eatin' fish! :confused:

They have rangefood too:rolleyes:

Let me know, you guys could either meet here and we'll go in the X5 or we can meet in BMW's Lounge.

Bob330Ci
12-30-2002, 10:23 PM
I might be going if time and weather permit...seems everytime I plan to go, we get 12" of snow.

B.

toshweir27
12-31-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Bob330Ci
I might be going if time and weather permit...seems everytime I plan to go, we get 12" of snow.

B.

Ah, you gotta love the Midwest. :thumbup:

BAVORAK
01-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Me and my brother in law are plannig on going, but aren't sure of the date yet (perhaps the 11th & 12th).
Getting exited already :bigpimp:

Kaz
01-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Wow, people fly/drive in from out of state for an auto show?

Some years I feel the seven bucks for parking, five bucks for admission and 40minute drive to Downtown LA aren't worth it.

Johann
01-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know if the "Industry Day(s)" are invite only? I mean, do you really have to be in the auto industry to get in? The tickets are supposedly available on the NAIAS website.

I've got a student membership in the SAE, so maybe that'll suffice?

Jonathan

Randy Forbes
01-02-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Johann
Does anyone know if the "Industry Day(s)" are invite only? I mean, do you really have to be in the auto industry to get in? The tickets are supposedly available on the NAIAS website.

I've got a student membership in the SAE, so maybe that'll suffice?

Jonathan

Try it and see...

Years ago, in the sixties & seventies, my father would exhibit recreational vehicles on the lower level. We would be there for the entire show; industry, press & public days .
About twenty-five years ago I sold all the new car brochures I had collected to "Walter Miller" for a nice sum:)

ChrisTO
01-02-2003, 06:08 PM
i plan to drive down (up really seeing that Detroit is north of Windsor, Canada) Jan. 17th spend the night in Windsor and get into the show on Sat. Jan 18th by 10am.

plans are all weather pending...not sure why the auto industry decides to hold Detroit show in the middle of Jan.(snow season) and the LA show in the middle of summer. logic would suggest to reverse them in the interest of better weather conditions.

if anyone wants to hook up (before/at/after the show)sounds good to me.

Kaz - it really is quite the show and well worth even the 4 hour drive for me in the middle of winter weather to see it.

Kaz
01-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ChrisTO

plans are all weather pending...not sure why the auto industry decides to hold Detroit show in the middle of Jan.(snow season) and the LA show in the middle of summer. logic would suggest to reverse them in the interest of better weather conditions.

The LA show is the week before the Detroit show, not the middle of the summer (no, January is NOT the summer around here). The (sorta) good thing about that is that most manufacturers have production cars slated for Detroit announcement (not concepts) around and roll them out on the floor in LA after its official Detroit debut, so if you go later in the week there are usually more stuff to see.

It used to be that because LA was before Detroit we'd get shafted in terms of seeing debut products, but the industry has come to realize that the LA market is critical in getting certain markets to 'bite' so some debuts have gotten moved forward a week in recent years.

Johann
01-02-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Randy Forbes
Try it and see...

Years ago, in the sixties & seventies, my father would exhibit recreational vehicles on the lower level. We would be there for the entire show; industry, press & public days .
About twenty-five years ago I sold all the new car brochures I had collected to "Walter Miller" for a nice sum:)

I just checked the NAIAS website. It looks like with some mild BS anyone can buy a ticket. There doesn't seem to be anything stopping a normal citizen from buying an Industry Day ticket (other than the $50 price and you must fill out your Company name on the order form). Unfortunately Industry Days are Jan 8th & 9th -- niether work for me.

I'd gladly pay $50 to avoid the crowds. Oh well, I'll just wait for the Chicago Autoshow.

Jonathan

ZBB 325Ci
01-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Kaz

Some years I feel the seven bucks for parking, five bucks for admission and 40minute drive to Downtown LA aren't worth it.

I flew up from Atlanta for the Detroit show last year (but my girlfiend was up there for work, so she flew me up instead of her flying home)...

You have to remember, that in the US, only the Detroit, New York, LA, and (maybe) Chicago shows are truly world class, with show car introductions, etc... The Atlanta show wasn't all that bad compared to the horrendous Phoenix show, but it still paled in comparison to Detroit. I've been to a NY show a couple years ago (somewhere in between Atlanta and Detroit). Also went to the Geneva show in '95 (I was going to school there) -- Not quite as good as Detroit, but unique in that it is truly neutral ground, with no Swiss-based automakers (so you get the random styling studio presenting something).

ChrisTO
01-02-2003, 06:31 PM
maybe i'm thinking of another city on the world autoshow circuit. in any case i've had to cancel my yearly pilgrimage to Detroit on account of bad weather. they really should move the date of the Detroit autoshow to the summer...

Originally posted by Kaz
The LA show is the week before the Detroit show, not the middle of the summer (no, January is NOT the summer around here).

Johann
01-02-2003, 06:33 PM
The only downside to Chicago is that you don't get the ground-breaking introductions that you do in Detroit and LA.

95% of the same cars are there, but Chicago doesn't have the same atmosphere since most of the concepts and new models there are already "old news". That said, if I had my choice, I'd pick Detroit.

Jonathan

The Roadstergal
01-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Kaz

People drive 3000 miles for Homecoming. :dunno:

Admittedly, in that case, getting there is half the fun.

Kaz
01-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by The Roadstergal
People drive 3000 miles for Homecoming. :dunno:

Admittedly, in that case, getting there is half the fun.

Things like Homecoming are a little different.
Especially in the larger cities, except for the occasional concept, these industry shows are full of things you could go down to the local Auto Mall and see (hell, and drive) at the most 5 or 6 months down the road.

I guess I'm sorry I asked. Maybe I just don't get it. :dunno:

Johann
01-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
Things like Homecoming are a little different.
Especially in the larger cities, except for the occasional concept, these industry shows are full of things you could go down to the local Auto Mall and see (hell, and drive) at the most 5 or 6 months down the road.

I guess I'm sorry I asked. Maybe I just don't get it. :dunno:

I think people go for the excitement. There's nothing better than getting some car buddies together, going to the autoshow, and talking cars. Plus, the Autoshows are the only place you can find nearly ever car available, under one roof.

The brochures, posters, and concept cars are worth it for me. Then again, I'm only a short ride away from Chicago.

I wouldn't drive several hours for the Chicago Autoshow. Detroit: Yes. Chicago: No.

Jonathan