PDA

View Full Version : BMW NAV vs Alpine (or other) NAV + DVD?

MD2b
12-30-2002, 12:49 PM
has anyone installed an aftermarket nav + dvd system instead of getting the BMW nav? just wondering if the factory system has any significant advantage over an aftermarket unit which has the gps, can play dvds while moving, and can easily integrate extra monitors.

CD-55
12-30-2002, 01:04 PM
Nothing aftermarket is going to integrate as cleanly as the OEM NAV.

Mathew
12-30-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by CD-55
Nothing aftermarket is going to integrate as cleanly as the OEM NAV.

Agreed. To me, that is far more important than watching dvds

MD2b
12-30-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
Agreed. To me, that is far more important than watching dvds

incidentaly, i heard that alpine makes the bmw (and others') nav system so the ingenuity should be somewhat similar.

also, how about the long-term effect if you want to expand your system? nav-tv seems like a bit of a headache and still doesn't have quality sound, so would it not make more sense to have an aftermarket unit and skip all of the hassles?

the only thing that worries me is not being able to access the OBC and its features :( but there has to be a way around that!

Mathew
12-30-2002, 01:32 PM
Alpine does make the BMW nav system. But the problem is the head unit itself. As far as i know, no one else has a better fit than the OEM head unit. And BMW made it so their cars are specific to that head unit.

Im not an expert at this, but i would think that you would have to splice the system if you want the aftermarket one to run with your car's system. That will probably cause problems. You said you dont like the sound, but the Nav-TV unit would be ideal cause its made from a BMW OEM TV tuner. And you have the tv option on your menu screen. I have yet to hear of any nav tv horror stories. And supposedly theres a way to make the tv screen play while in motion.

I really doubt there would be an aftermarket solution that would integrate cleanly and have flawless functioning with the cars system. Maybe someone else can shed some light :dunno:

The HACK
12-30-2002, 01:47 PM
You lose steering wheel button functionalities when going aftermarket. :(

Woody
01-02-2003, 08:49 PM
testing

Woody
01-02-2003, 08:52 PM
this is only a test