PDA

View Full Version : Great quote re: Bangle

TD
12-30-2002, 02:16 PM
As quoted at autoextremist.com-

Micky Kaus, Slate. In summing up Chris Bangle's design of the new BMW Z4, Kaus had this to say: "Spiel is the operative word here. Bangle is clearly some kind of talker -- 'during an hourlong interview,' reports the New York Time's Danny Hakim, 'he mentioned Archimedes, Vermeer, Pythagoras, Euclid and the British art historian Kenneth Clark.' In this, Bangle's not unlike those modern artists who seem to care less about what they draw or paint than the accompanying text, a process effectively ridiculed in Tom Wolfe's The Painted Word. If words were cars, Bangle would be in great shape. If cars were "art" – or even architecture -- he'd be in great shape. But cars aren't art, and words aren't cars, and cars aren't buildings, and he's not."

Nat Brown
12-30-2002, 02:23 PM
Santa delivered a new Tivo/DirectTV receiver this Christmas and besides the existence of a BMW channel (mostly BMW films material), there was a joint Tivo sponsored BMW documentary, where among other things, Bangle gave a bit of an interview.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to decipher the doublespeak because I was busy shielding my eyes from his flashy wardrobe.

--gary

Ausgang
12-30-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by TD
(snip) . . . mentioned Archimedes, Vermeer, Pythagoras, Euclid and the British art historian Kenneth Clark.'

If only Archimedes were here to defend the use of his name. He as much as anyone demonstrated that truly elegant designs were simple and functional. If only Pythagoras were alive he could be teaching remedial geometry in CA and Munchen.

HW
01-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Ausgang
If only Pythagoras were alive he could be teaching remedial geometry in CA and Munchen.

:lmao: :lmao:

·clyde·
01-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Nat Brown
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to decipher the doublespeak because I was busy shielding my eyes from his flashy wardrobe.

Was he wearing one of his cars?

posted by TD quoting somehting else
But cars aren't art, and words aren't cars, and cars aren't buildings, and he's not.

But perhaps cars are clothes?

:dunno:

:D

darkmark
01-02-2003, 08:04 PM
maybe he'll start making words up once he runs out of words to describe something... "It's banglicious!!!" "It's mr. bang dango!"

JPinTO
01-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by darkmark
maybe he'll start making words up once he runs out of words to describe something... "It's banglicious!!!" "It's mr. bang dango!"

:lmao: :lmao:

PhilH
01-03-2003, 06:27 AM
Finally got around to reading this post, and you're right, that is a great quote. It seems accurate, too. He seems to enjoy describing how and why his designs are different a bit too much. The designs themselves don't seem to matter as much.

He seems to be more of a great salesman than a great designer. He's been able to actually convince people within BMW that ugly and shocking is good.