Insurance question [Archive] - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

: Insurance question

12-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Since the muffler needs to be replaced on my car as a result of the accident I'm thinking of putting on the AA Gen 3 exhaust.

I called BMW and a new factory muffler is $980, now the body shop can get it cheaper (jobber price) which I don't know.

The AA is somewhere around $650 + shipping.

I'm thinking of asking the body shop to install this instead of the factory piece. It may be about the same as the jobber for the factory exhaust.

Does anyone know if a body shop can do this or must they replace it with a factory piece?

12-30-2002, 06:55 PM
$980 for the stock muffler? Yikes.

I would think the shop can install whatever you want. As long as they get paid, I doubt they care.

I really doubt that the insurance company cares either.

12-31-2002, 03:54 AM
The answer is yes, you could have the body shop install a different muffler . . .

Once the determination is made of the amount of your loss, you could basically do whatever you would like with the money. If you decide for some reason you want to keep the money and not fix your car, then that is fine as well.

As far as the Insurance Company, their obligation is completed once the final 'proof of loss' is signed by the insured, they issue the claim check which in turn 'made you whole' again.

Some companies will pay 90% of the loss and then when you show them you have had the work completed, they release the other 10%. Don't hold me to my percentages because the amounts can vary. Also, when it comes to Automobile Claims, it is unusual practice for a Company to do this but it does happen so I wanted to make you aware of it.

I'm an Insurance Agent, so if you have any other questions, email or PM anytime . . .