PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Rogue WSR?

JonM
12-30-2002, 08:53 PM
One of these:

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/wsr/re_rod_e36m3_comparo_large.jpg

Any comments?

One of the sharpest engineers I have ever met told me once "Sonny, in all my years of engineering, adding weight to solve a problem has never been the right answer". I'm curious if that applies here to.

Kaz
12-30-2002, 08:58 PM
I've thought about it but 2 things are keeping me from getting one.
One, exactly what your engineer buddy said. RE claims this weight solution is less 'harmful' to the tranny than the other weight solution, the heavy shift knob (which I don't care for either).
Two, the sum***** costs a hundred bucks.

I've seen one as part of their Octane SSK, and its heavy, that's for sure.

Randy Forbes
12-30-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by JonM
One of the sharpest engineers I have ever met told me once "Sonny, in all my years of engineering, adding weight to solve a problem has never been the right answer". I'm curious if that applies here to.

In so many words, I have heard the same thing.

The misconception that a heavy knob (or linkage) wears out the syncros is a bit of a wives tale.
You will however put an increased load, and thus wear, on the sides of the shift forks (usually made of bronze alloy) where they ride on the syncromesh hubs if the knob (or shaft) "influences" the lever.
That's why you shouldn't drive with your hand relaxed on the lever!

Kaz
12-30-2002, 09:31 PM
I never thought resting your hand on the shifter mattered, and did it all time time on the Datsun I drove in high school. Then I was paging through the owners manual of a friend's Scirocco that, in bold letters, warned NOT to do this. After that, I stopped.