PDA

View Full Version : X3 M

swe3t23
01-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Today i just saw an X3 but it had the M emblem on the back instead of the X3. It even had the 2007 body. Is there such thing as a X3 M??

Eviil30
01-11-2007, 09:53 PM
no

robluvs2xlr8
01-11-2007, 10:00 PM
There is no X3 "M".

Only the sport package, which puts the "///M" lettering on the door sills, steering wheel, along with M wheels.

swe3t23
01-11-2007, 11:56 PM
really then the dealer must of had it custom made cus, it had the ///M on the back instead of the X3. It didn't have a license plate number just the dealer's name on the license plate holder. But it looked hella sweet.

angina
01-12-2007, 09:08 AM
really then the dealer must of had it custom made cus, it had the ///M on the back instead of the X3. It didn't have a license plate number just the dealer's name on the license plate holder. But it looked hella sweet.

anyone can stick an emblem on a car... just remember, BMW doesn't make any special versions of the X3. IMHO, emblems depicting a car as something else is pretty tacky and ghey. But hey, to each his own.

Excitmnt94
01-12-2007, 09:14 AM
yeah...we have a couple rolling around tallahassee with M badges...both loaded up sport package cars...

crazybelgian
01-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I guess it would be doable to actually transplant an M engine in an X3. I wouldn't mind seeing the results of that...

e60lover
01-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Some lady has a so called ///M X5 3.0i LOL. :rofl:

stangmatt66
01-12-2007, 02:02 PM
BMW has deemed that while the driving dynamics of their SAVs is amazing, they are still not worthy of M badges (same goes for the 7-Series). This is why the most powerful X5 was called the X5 4.8is, not X5 M. There is no such thing as a X3 M. You might however see a X3 4.8is if there is ever demand for it (or room in the engine bay).

cbj
01-12-2007, 02:18 PM
I wonder if its brand protection or they think the car would be too dangerous. I gues Jeep didn't think so with their SRT8 version of the Cherokee or Porsche with their Turbo.

stangmatt66
01-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I wonder if its brand protection or they think the car would be too dangerous. I gues Jeep didn't think so with their SRT8 version of the Cherokee or Porsche with their Turbo.

I think it's brand protection. BMW doesn't want to water down the M brand like Chevrolet has watered down its once respected SS brand.

cbj
01-15-2007, 12:42 PM
And still they slap M stuff all over their cars like on the X3 Sport.

kjboyd
01-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Keep in mind that the ///M isn't just for whole cars: the ///MSport Division does provide parts to increase performance, as well as entire ///M'ing of a car, e.g.:M3, M5, M6.

kev

frank325
01-15-2007, 09:22 PM
What about this, from wikipedia.org. Does the X3 with the sports package have the M badge on the back?

M-Cars vs. M-badged cars

There are several BMW models to which BMW Motorsport made changes without being full M-Cars. Vehicles which have been modified by BMW Motorsport but are not full M-Cars may feature plain 'M' badges with no number, whilst full M-Cars have 'M' badges with the model number. E.g. 'M3' or 'M5'. It should be noted however that the Z3/Z4-based M Roadster and M Coupe bore numberless 'M' badges as standard fitment.

For example, the E28 M535i featured suspension, styling, and transmission improvements over the standard 535i. These changes were carried out by BMW Motorsport, thus the car carried 'M' stripe badges on the front grille and boot, but not the full 'M5' badging. The E28 M5 was sold along side the M535i. Motorsport modifications have been made to almost every BMW model, hence it is not unusual to see 'standard' BMW's with 'M' badges.

The opposite occurred with the 850CSi where it was an M car in all but its name (it had BMW M sourced engine and it's VIN indicated that it was developed by BMW Motorsport, like all other M cars), this was possibly because a true M8 was in development. This M8 however was cancelled for reasons known only to BMW.

kjboyd
01-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Bottom line there is NO M-X3. Not even in the mother country (check out bmw.de if you wish). What most likely happened here is the owner ( i wont guess his age) bought an M badge off of eBay and slapped it onto the back of his X3. Much like the M318is you can see running around the Bay Area (SF) and LA. I always get a kick out of those cars, because those of us in the know, KNOW it's fake, and those that don't well, anyway... You can always tell an M3 (e36) from an ///M badged one because the side skirts don't cross over each other.

just my 2 Deutsche Marks worth.

e60lover
01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Bottom Line....THERE IS NO ///M X3. And it is not Modified by ///M. :eeps:

frank325
01-16-2007, 04:40 AM
Bottom Line....THERE IS NO ///M X3. And it is not Modified by ///M. :eeps:

.... I'm not saying there IS an ///M X3. I'm trying to defend my argument that there is NOT by getting all the facts. Now, with this M-style sports package, couldn't one say that it is modified or changed by ///M since it says "M" in the descriptions for the sports package/suspension, etc.?

And since I've seen more than one person say they've seen an ///M on the back of an X3, it makes me question whether they would put that ///M with no badge number on there like in my quote above. I don't see why someone would put ///M on their X3 ?

kjboyd
01-16-2007, 08:38 AM
YOu don't see why?! Why do people put 22 inch rims on their Mazda 3s and Acura RSXs? Why do people put 18 in woofers in ther Civics... because they think it make them look phat, or bad, or whatever the term is these days. come on, think about it!!!

frank325
01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I know WHY stupid people do it... it just seems like there have been numerous sitings of it. I've seen random BMW's with M's on them when they weren't really M's, but why so many X3's recently? Just makes me question if its possible any come from the factory with the numberless ///M like described above, or if that kind of thing was only done in the past and not recently.

kjboyd
01-16-2007, 12:48 PM
THEY DO NOT COME THAT WAY.

cbj
01-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Are you sure ;)

crazybelgian
01-16-2007, 01:24 PM
man, why does everyone get so worked up over this. I was looking at 19" oem wheels at the dealer and he suggested that they could replace X3 on the back with an M badge if I so desired. I declined, because I know enthousiasts would think I'm a poser. However, it does look good in my opinion... to each his own, right?