PDA

View Full Version : Surfing Dilemma

osodorado93
01-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I drive to some surf spots with some regularity. In the past I used to take my valet key (Audi) with me into the water and keep it in the pocket of the surfboard leash. Now with my X3 key, I have no waterproof options. I already tried using the plastic key, only to break it in half. I have been told that there no waterproof keys for the X3. Does anybody have any good work arounds/suggestions (beyond sticking a key in a ziplock bag)? Thanks in advance for any comments.

calgaryx3
01-12-2007, 01:32 PM
You could secure the key in a conspicuous place (IE undercarriage) on the vehicle. A magnetic key holder (case) found in auto stores and the like would work well for this purpose.

A

Jon Shafer
01-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I've never busted my plastic 'wetsuit key'...

:dunno:

bmwx3x2
01-15-2007, 04:35 PM
You can order a key from bmw that looks the same, but has not working inner parts. They are quite expensive though, around $80.

909bimmer
01-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I use one of these and just attach it to the car somewhere. I hate the feel of a key in my leash pocket for some reason. The only drawbacks with this thing are that only one key fits in at a time (there is a slightly bigger model available too), and if you get out of the water after dark, you can't see the numbers to open the combination lock. Costs about $20 at Home Depot or Lowe's.

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?dir=/residential/homeyard/&sub_cat_id=D5400&template=style