PDA

View Full Version : Anyone install XM in an 07 X3?

rda2w
01-12-2007, 09:26 PM
As a long time XM subscriber I want to install the XM Direct/Blitzsafe conversion. I've gone a week listening to FM and CDs and I've had enough. I've searched and found people having success in older models but nothing on 07 installs. If anyone has done this I'd like to hear how it went. Did you make the connection under the console or in the rear? Did you get the built in antenna to work in the sharkfin or use the supplied antenna? -RA

tsventuri
02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I have essentially the same vehicle and I am looking to do the same with XM and Ipod. I already own the components by Alpine. I am looking for install pictures for 2007 and whether I can use the Alpine pieces or must I get new 3rd party conversion kit. I also have Alpine head deck that would use my other components but I am not sure if the factory speakers get amplification direct from factory head or is there an amp somewhere else. This would tell me how much of my old system could be used in 2007.

Good Luck.

Evlengr
02-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Look at new stereo installation in a couple of weeks. I will post full pics. Also I believe I have found a place to hide away amps and external components like the XM transceiver. direcctly behing the back seat and before the lift panel there appears to be a huge amount of dead space. More to come. And yes not having XM is driving me nuts too.

rda2w
02-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Sorry, I should have put a link here to the install update. It's nice having XM again. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186253
-RA

dug01
02-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Sorry, I should have put a link here to the install update. It's nice having XM again. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186253
-RA
Nice to do an install/upgrade without ripping the car apart and be able to keep the factory components--Your are right FM sucks--it is just a marketing device with a little music inserted between frequent commercials. It is going the way of AM--good riddance-- and CD's are a hassle( how did we ever put up with cassette tapes)???--enjoy the best--satellite radio--worth every penny--Don't forget the newer radios (2007) play MP3's--burn a cd yourself that plays up to 200 songs of just what you want to listen to.

tom @ eas
02-16-2007, 01:03 PM
XM works perfectly fine on the MY07 X3 w/ Business CD. :)

tsventuri
02-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Does Anyone know whether a stock CD player in 2007 X3 is compatible with Alpine's add-on XM tuner and Ipod adapter?

In my 2003 330xi, I had an elaborate system which included an Alpine Head deck and JL Audio AMPS and Sub with Boston Accoustic separate speakers. I designed the system to not change (or use) the existing speakers and to make it easy to return to stock config at lease end.

I now want to use as much of this system in 2007 X3 without spending a fortune for install. I would like to at least use the XM and Ipod adapter without having to buy these pieces again.

Can anyone assist with compatability and pictures of install?

Thank you!

tom @ eas
02-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Does Anyone know whether a stock CD player in 2007 X3 is compatible with Alpine's add-on XM tuner and Ipod adapter?

In my 2003 330xi, I had an elaborate system which included an Alpine Head deck and JL Audio AMPS and Sub with Boston Accoustic separate speakers. I designed the system to not change (or use) the existing speakers and to make it easy to return to stock config at lease end.

I now want to use as much of this system in 2007 X3 without spending a fortune for install. I would like to at least use the XM and Ipod adapter without having to buy these pieces again.

Can anyone assist with compatability and pictures of install?

Thank you!

Here's the kit you need:

XM Direct Satellite Radio Package for BMW & Mini
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=20&products_id=267

Simply plug the unit into your CD Changer connections, route the XM antenna and you're complete. This should not be more than 30 minutes to complete.

Let me know if you have any further questions.