PDA

View Full Version : Looking to lease an X3 - Questions

MJS
01-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Looking to lease an X3 - Questions

I'm contemplating leasing a 2007 X3 and have a few questions for you guys. Sorry to be so long. Just trying to think of everything.

I currently have a 2005 Subaru Outback Sport(Impreza) wagon and it's becoming a bit too small for my growing family. I currently have one kid, almost 2 yrs old, and we have another due in early March. The rear seat room in the OBS is really bad. Getting a kid in and out of the carseat is pretty tricky. Hell, getting a carseat through the rear doors is pretty tricky. Frankly, I'll be glad to be rid of the OBS. The AWD is nice, but the car is so light(3,000 lbs or so) that it's not the greatest in the winter.

Anyhoo, I'm looking to get something bigger, but not too big. And I don't want to commit long term to something, as we'll probably have a 3rd kid in 2 more years, and then a 4th 2 years after that(according to my wife!). So that's where the 24 month lease idea came in.

Questions:
1. How is the rear seat room with carseats? It looks pretty decent from the test drives I've done. But I haven't put my carseat in there.

2. What tires come on the standard model(the one with the basic 17" wheels)? And will they last 2 years/24,000 miles without me being charged?

3. What is a good target to shoot for over invoice? Is 4% reasonable? My sales rep will work with me as I've bought 2 BMW's from her before.

4. Does anyone know if BMW dropped the acquisition fee on the X3 lease for January? I thought it was $650 in December when I was looking. But now, in January, the money factor went up from .0015 to .002, and the residuals stayed the same, while the "advertised" base X3 is still listed on their site for $379/month, same as Dec. With a $650 Acquisition fee, the payment would be about $411/month. Without it, it's $383(close to the $379 advertised).

5. I'm looking to lease a pretty much base model, with heated front seats and maybe one other small option. I'm not getting leather/premium/sport packages(although I would really love the sport seats). Trying to keep the cost down. What's the must have out of the following list?
- Privacy Glass (350) - eh..
- Xenon Adaptive headlights (800) - I'd like these I'm sure.
- Premium sound system (675) - The HK in my M3 ain't that good. Is this much better than stock?
- Heated Steering wheel (150) eh...

Thanks for any input.

Mike

schley
01-13-2007, 03:35 PM

I'm contemplating leasing a 2007 X3 and have a few questions for you guys. Sorry to be so long. Just trying to think of everything.

I currently have a 2005 Subaru Outback Sport(Impreza) wagon and it's becoming a bit too small for my growing family. I currently have one kid, almost 2 yrs old, and we have another due in early March. The rear seat room in the OBS is really bad. Getting a kid in and out of the carseat is pretty tricky. Hell, getting a carseat through the rear doors is pretty tricky. Frankly, I'll be glad to be rid of the OBS. The AWD is nice, but the car is so light(3,000 lbs or so) that it's not the greatest in the winter.

Anyhoo, I'm looking to get something bigger, but not too big. And I don't want to commit long term to something, as we'll probably have a 3rd kid in 2 more years, and then a 4th 2 years after that(according to my wife!). So that's where the 24 month lease idea came in.

Questions:
1. How is the rear seat room with carseats? It looks pretty decent from the test drives I've done. But I haven't put my carseat in there.

2. What tires come on the standard model(the one with the basic 17" wheels)? And will they last 2 years/24,000 miles without me being charged?

3. What is a good target to shoot for over invoice? Is 4% reasonable? My sales rep will work with me as I've bought 2 BMW's from her before.

4. Does anyone know if BMW dropped the acquisition fee on the X3 lease for January? I thought it was $650 in December when I was looking. But now, in January, the money factor went up from .0015 to .002, and the residuals stayed the same, while the "advertised" base X3 is still listed on their site for $379/month, same as Dec. With a $650 Acquisition fee, the payment would be about $411/month. Without it, it's $383(close to the $379 advertised).

5. I'm looking to lease a pretty much base model, with heated front seats and maybe one other small option. I'm not getting leather/premium/sport packages(although I would really love the sport seats). Trying to keep the cost down. What's the must have out of the following list?
- Privacy Glass (350) - eh..
- Xenon Adaptive headlights (800) - I'd like these I'm sure.
- Premium sound system (675) - The HK in my M3 ain't that good. Is this much better than stock?
- Heated Steering wheel (150) eh...

Thanks for any input.

Mike

I don't have an x3 but my family does. They have an 06 and the 07 has the bigger engine as you know. I can comment on 2 things

acquistion fee is always 625 base with 200 possible dealer markup.

look for 1k over invoice 4% is too generous IMO.

MMME30W
01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Mike - Mine is 10 years old, so we are past the car seat stage, sorry...:D

Reference tire wear, I would have guessed 24k would be near or close to typical for an X3? :dunno:

On your option list, I don't see any there that are "must have". The HIDs would probably be a good choice out of that list, as far as practicality. If your M has them, you know what they are like.

You don't have Servotronic steering on there for $250.00 that might be nice.

Good luck.

MJS
01-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't have an x3 but my family does. They have an 06 and the 07 has the bigger engine as you know. I can comment on 2 things

acquistion fee is always 625 base with 200 possible dealer markup.

look for 1k over invoice 4% is too generous IMO.

Good to know. Thanks.

I'd normally agree and try for that, but I'm wondering what if I can truely get that, or even 4%. The dealership isn't sitting on a lot of X3 inventory, and it seems to turn pretty quickly.

Thanks.

MJS
01-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Mike - Mine is 10 years old, so we are past the car seat stage, sorry...:D

Reference tire wear, I would have guessed 24k would be near or close to typical for an X3? :dunno:

On your option list, I don't see any there that are "must have". The HIDs would probably be a good choice out of that list, as far as practicality. If your M has them, you know what they are like.

You don't have Servotronic steering on there for $250.00 that might be nice.

Good luck.

I'm hoping that by doing a 24 month lease that I won't have to buy tires. Hmmm.

I do have Xenons in my M3, but not the Adaptive Xenons. I definitely like em compared to the crappy lights in my OBS!

Guess I didn't even think about Servo steering. Not sure I'd like it anyway.

Thanks.

Mike

schley
01-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

I'd normally agree and try for that, but I'm wondering what if I can truely get that, or even 4%. The dealership isn't sitting on a lot of X3 inventory, and it seems to turn pretty quickly.

Thanks.

The key is to shop your deal that is why there are other dealers. You don't have to use your closest dealer especially when for that privaledge you are going to pay 1k more. You will be able to get 1k over invoice with 200 profit on acquistion fee I predict, but you may have to even go to a neighboring state. If is worth 1k or so to you then great if not no biggie.

z51vette
01-13-2007, 05:53 PM

Thanks for any input.

Mike

The lease is definitely not the same as December. It is listed at $379 now for 24 months. The December lease was $349 for 24, $369 for 36 months. I would not let the dealer mark up the $625 acquisition fee or make more than 1000 over invoice. More like 2.5% markup instead of 4%. I think Xenons are a must, privacy glass if you are not going to tint yourself, heated steering wheel is great. Too bad I couldn't get it with my sport pack. And the regular seats are just fine. I happen to like more the way sport seats look, but not necessarily more comfortable. Servotronic I wish I ordered. Premium sound I wouldn't waist money on. Keep your standard stereo adjusted BASS -2, TREBLE +3 and it sounds great. Although to be honest I haven't heard the premium sound. Rubber floor mats all around are a must. I don't think you are going to have a problem with tires lasting 24k if the alignment is correct. Not sure about my sport pack though because it might have performance alignment that is more aggressive on the tires.

cbj
01-13-2007, 07:00 PM
I asked about the perium sound just search for my thread and you will find good information. I think unless you realy need something extra save the money as the extra cost way to much and the dealer makes good money on the extras or bargin about the price of extras.

NateXTR
01-13-2007, 10:24 PM
The lease is definitely not the same as December. It is listed at $379 now for 24 months. The December lease was $349 for 24, $369 for 36 months. I would not let the dealer mark up the $625 acquisition fee or make more than 1000 over invoice. More like 2.5% markup instead of 4%. I think Xenons are a must, privacy glass if you are not going to tint yourself, heated steering wheel is great. Too bad I couldn't get it with my sport pack. And the regular seats are just fine. I happen to like more the way sport seats look, but not necessarily more comfortable. Servotronic I wish I ordered. Premium sound I wouldn't waste money on. Keep your standard stereo adjusted BASS -2, TREBLE +3 and it sounds great. Although to be honest I haven't heard the premium sound. Rubber floor mats all around are a must. I don't think you are going to have a problem with tires lasting 24k if the alignment is correct. Not sure about my sport pack though because it might have performance alignment that is more aggressive on the tires.

+1. Yup, the entire thing, z51vette took the words out of my mouth...:thumbup:

MJS
01-14-2007, 06:40 AM
The lease is definitely not the same as December. It is listed at $379 now for 24 months. The December lease was $349 for 24, $369 for 36 months. I would not let the dealer mark up the $625 acquisition fee or make more than 1000 over invoice. More like 2.5% markup instead of 4%.

I'd swear that the advertised lease amount was $379 for 24 months, $2500 down, 10K miles per year. And that was based on MSRP, residual of 78%, and MF of .0015. Maybe I'm smoking crack. I did a lot of calculations on various numbers, maybe I was trippin. Bygones.
I'm looking to do better than that anyway. I hope!

Thanks for the info.

Mike

05Boxster
01-14-2007, 08:16 AM
I know you're trying to keep costs down, but if you can squeeze in the Sport package, you won't regret it......guaranteed. Its literally (to me) a different vehicle with the monotone outside trim and the FANTASTIC seats and steering wheel. I couldn't live without the SP..you'd be looking at about $60 more a month, but if you can get closer to the $1k over invoice, that would eat that down a bit....

MJS
01-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Pulled the trigger on a Silver Gray X3 tonight. They still need to locate one, so I don't actually have it yet. Hopefully by next week I will. Options include Heated Front Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, and Privacy Glass.
MSRP was $40,170
Invoice was $36,995
Negotiated $37,995

Put nothing down for Cap Reduction. And paid the tax upfront(716.88), with 1st month payment(463.85), security deposit(500), and tags/title/doc fee(310). For a total of $1,990 due at signing.
Traded in my Subaru and the equity(trade-in - payoff) in it was about $2,550, so the $1,990 is paid by that and they're going to cut me a check for remainder, ~$560.
Also need to file for the $500 rebate from the BMWCCA. Wonder how long that will take to get.

Overall I think I did ok. The only thing questionable was the "State Doc Fee" of $200(part of the $310). They said it was mandated by the state. Ya, right, whatever, I got em to drop from their initial "best" offer of $38,700 to $37,995 and squeezed out another $250 on the trade-in.

Thanks to all for the help. Can't wait to pick it up.

Mike

Leasing Motors
01-18-2007, 08:34 PM
The actual invoice is 37558 including maco and prap.

We usually do $500 over invoice on these cars. You might want to consider pressing those guys a little more. There is no high demand on x3's so don't give in just yet ;)

Best of Luck.

rgali1
01-19-2007, 03:59 PM
how do you get a $500 rebate from the BMWCCA? There site doesnt mention anything about that as a perk for signing up.

AzNMpower32
01-19-2007, 05:57 PM
how do you get a $500 rebate from the BMWCCA? There site doesnt mention anything about that as a perk for signing up.
You must have been a BMW CCA member for one full year before you can claim a rebate check. Fill out the form and mail it in.

jdeday
01-19-2007, 06:04 PM

It is the membership rewards program, this is the link: http://www.bmwcca.org/MembershipRewards

David1
01-20-2007, 10:35 AM
The actual invoice is 37558 including maco and prap.

We usually do $500 over invoice on these cars. You might want to consider pressing those guys a little more. There is no high demand on x3's so don't give in just yet ;)

Best of Luck.

They are selling as they come in here. I had to order mine to get what I wanted. I got quotes from 3 states out on my X3.

MJS
02-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Just spoke with my dealer and my X3 is finally there. The wait felt like an eternity, 1/18 - 2/8. The one they found was on a boat, so it took a while to get here.
They still need to prep it and whatever else they do. So it won't be ready until tomorrow or Saturday.

I'll post some pics when I get it.

Mike