PDA

View Full Version : Help! E46 Front signal removal

Mystikal
12-22-2001, 06:31 PM
Is there a trick to getting the signal assembly out or what? The manual is incredibly vague, but I'm pretty sure I found the right "tab". I'm putting pressure sideways relative to the front of the car, and I can see the light popping out slightly. But just getting to that stage requires quite a bit of pressure. Is that normal or is there some other way to get it out?

I know those with clears should know what I'm talking about. All I'm doing is replacing a burnt out bulb, but it looks like it's the same procedure.

LilEccentricJ
12-22-2001, 06:32 PM
Check DIY at www.bmw330ci.com

Mystikal
12-22-2001, 07:03 PM
Thanks, that DIY is indeed very informative. But still, that thing just isn't coming out. I'm pulling the tab with the screwdriver very hard while simultaneously pulling on the lens itself, which pops out about 10mm when the tab is being pulled. It's just not moving.

Has anyone else had this sort of difficulty?

LilEccentricJ
12-22-2001, 07:10 PM
Pulling? You need to push down on the tab and try to (using the driverside as an example) pry (with your finger/fingernail) the bottom inside front corner of the lens toward the corner of the car while then pushing the tab you depressed with the scewdriver toward the front of the car. BUT, nothing should need "forcing"!

Did I explain that right? I understand it but NE1 else?

LilEccentricJ
12-22-2001, 07:13 PM
Look at the DIY file page again. The part of the lens that is almost touching the words "change out" at the top of the page is what I am saying to pull on after you have depressed the catch tab with the screwdriver. Also make sure you are depressing the right tab through the right hole in the fender. (you can substitute the word "right" in this post with "correct")

Mystikal
12-22-2001, 07:25 PM
Okay, what I did all matches up except for the "push down" on the tab. I'm moving it laterally, as in towards the side of the car. The lens moves out when I do that, so I figured it was correct.

Do you think that's what I did wrong?

LilEccentricJ
12-22-2001, 07:28 PM
Not sure exactly but make sure when you put it back in that you look carefully to line up the finger and the catch tab into their little spots and that it "clicks" in. Use your whole palm to push so you don't crack anything and DON'T force anything. Lemme know how it goes.

Mystikal
12-22-2001, 07:51 PM
Not a chance.

I'm now almost sure that I must be playing with the wrong tab, because nothing is working.

I'll just drop by BMW tomorrow and ask them to show me how. I can't believe I have to resort to that.

LilEccentricJ
12-22-2001, 07:54 PM
Sorry we couldn't get this thing fixed tonight but better safe than sorry, right?!.

Mystikal
12-22-2001, 08:03 PM
Yeah I know, the last thing I wanted to do was snap one of those little tabs. That's why I'm scared to keep trying.

Thanks a lot for all of the help and info JB, I appreciate it!

ashecnc
12-22-2001, 08:07 PM
Hey, bring it over here and I'll do it for you...no charge :eek: :cool:

Mystikal
12-22-2001, 08:11 PM
LOL, yeah, just the small amount of gas that I'll need to reach down there :p

Keith(UK)
12-23-2001, 04:27 AM
The tab is plistic and MUCH deeper than you expect-you will have difficulty seeing it! Good luck!