PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks TD should drive a Z4 3.0?

jdblombe
12-31-2002, 09:41 AM
I think he may actually really appreciate the drive :eek: dbw, electonic steering, and all.. :yikes:

TD
12-31-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by jdblombe
I think he may actually really appreciate the drive :eek: dbw, electonic steering, and all.. :yikes:

As Car and Driver pointed out, it looks like Joe Camel's nose, phallic inference and all.

·clyde·
12-31-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by TD
As Car and Driver pointed out, it looks like Joe Camel's nose, phallic inference and all.

But that has nothing to do with how it drives :D

JakeC
12-31-2002, 10:10 AM
Man that car is beauty! Really!

The HACK
12-31-2002, 10:14 AM
Now that I'm beginning to see more of them on the road, I'm beginning to notice that the Z4 looks much better in photographs than it does in real life, where as the E65 looks much better in real life than photographs.

The Z4 looks STUNNING in photographs but just very nice in real life. Where as the E65 looks odd in photographs but stunning in person, especially in motion.

Oddly enough, I find myself really liking the rear profile on the E65. :dunno:

TD
12-31-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by The HACK
Now that I'm beginning to see more of them on the road, I'm beginning to notice that the Z4 looks much better in photographs than it does in real life, where as the E65 looks much better in real life than photographs.

The Z4 looks STUNNING in photographs but just very nice in real life. Where as the E65 looks odd in photographs but stunning in person, especially in motion.

To me, the E65 looks slightly worse inj real life while the Z4 looks slightly better. But it still looks wrong.

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-31-2002, 10:17 AM
The Z4 looks OK...

But I saw one with clears the other day... OMG! That was hideous.

Mr. The Edge
12-31-2002, 10:34 AM
I'd much rather he drive an E46 M3

jdblombe
12-31-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by atyclb

That could be next ;)

Raffi
12-31-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by atyclb

Doh! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

MotorenWerke
12-31-2002, 11:17 AM

Those are EXACTLY my thoughts. In motion, the E65 is breathtaking :yikes:

StLChris
12-31-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by buyme///M5
Especially the 745 Li. The design sems to fit a long-wheelbase version much better.

TD
12-31-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by buyme///M5

Only in that it's hard to breathe when you're about to vomit.

·clyde·
12-31-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TD
Only in that it's hard to breathe when you're about to vomit.

:lmao:

Mathew
12-31-2002, 01:07 PM

Me too :D

jdblombe
01-01-2003, 02:44 PM
What do you say TD, are you up for a test drive? :D 12 out of 15 wish you would. :eek:

gr8330
01-01-2003, 02:48 PM
What do you say TD, are you up for a test drive? :D 12 out of 15 wish you would. :eek:

make that 12 out of 16

Kaz
01-01-2003, 03:47 PM
E65s are just as ugly in person as in photos. The bloatiness is more apparent in person (sorta like the early 90s MB S-class).

Certain aspects of the Z4 are better in the flesh (rear half, Zorro/Flame Surfacing) and others worse (hugeass featureless hood).

Anyhow, I think TD should drive a 91 E30 318is and just get the whole damn thing over with.

TD
01-01-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
E65s are just as ugly in person as in photos. The bloatiness is more apparent in person (sorta like the early 90s MB S-class).

Certain aspects of the Z4 are better in the flesh (rear half, Zorro/Flame Surfacing) and others worse (hugeass featureless hood).

Anyhow, I think TD should drive a 91 E30 318is and just get the whole damn thing over with.

LOL.

At work we recently hired a new BD guy who has a grey '91 318is. I talked to him about it as soon as I figured out it was his. He tells me that, if I was serious about it, he'd sell it to me.

I'm thinking about it.

pdz
01-02-2003, 07:54 AM
"hugeass featureless hood".

ha ha ha ha ha.

i was expecting a "powerdome" or some lines or slits or something.

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-02-2003, 07:58 AM
-I- think TD should get it over with and go drive an M Coupe. :p

AF
01-02-2003, 09:33 AM
I voted 'no' for a certain reason that only a person who has driven an E36 M3 can understand.

Tom is NOT going to like any 'newer' BMW because it will not offer the feel that the E36 M3 gives you. The steering of the E36 alone is one the best of just about anything else around. Road feel is sincerely that . . . road feel.

Would I like him to drive a 2002 or 2003 330i . . .yes only for the reason that he judges the 330i based on his 2001 and I think his viewpoint of the E46 would change though he'd still prefer his M3.

This is the one problem E36 M3 owners have, after that car, you really can't get that same feel out of any other car unless your willing to change your mindset.

TD
01-02-2003, 09:52 AM
Okay, okay... This is going on too long.

Alan F is mostly right although I'm eager for BMW (or someone else) to prove him wrong. I have disliked the newer cars I've driven mostly due to their lack of feeling connected. Driving them feels like I'm submitting inputs to a master CPU which then decides whether to grant or deny my request and, when granted, you can feel the lack in processing time that it took to execute the decision.

I much prefer the feel of a capable, well-balanced machine that blindly (and immediately) responds to my inputs. If they were lacking in judgment, let ME pay the price.

The DBW throttle, the numb clutch, and the DSC nanny-ism all drive me nuts. Just let ME drive the damn car. Seeing threads discussing the I-bus internal networks in the E39+ cars only further solidifies my impression that the newer BMWs are rolling CPUs with each controller (steering wheel, pedals, shifter) just acting no different from a well-designed PC game controller. IMO, that's not very satisfying.

So, until these technologies are perfected so that they are much more transparent, I'm keeping my E36s. I might buy a newer car for more practical purposes, but I will never assume it could play the role of "fun car".

It's really too bad that at this time of renewed enthusiasm toward performance vehicles, few of them care to embody certain core traits that make performance vehicles so satisfying to drive.

brave1heart
01-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by TD
Okay, okay... This is going on too long.

Alan F is mostly right although I'm eager for BMW (or someone else) to prove him wrong. I have disliked the newer cars I've driven mostly due to their lack of feeling connected. Driving them feels like I'm submitting inputs to a master CPU which then decides whether to grant or deny my request and, when granted, you can feel the lack in processing time that it took to execute the decision.

I much prefer the feel of a capable, well-balanced machine that blindly (and immediately) responds to my inputs. If they were lacking in judgment, let ME pay the price.

The DBW throttle, the numb clutch, and the DSC nanny-ism all drive me nuts. Just let ME drive the damn car. Seeing threads discussing the I-bus internal networks in the E39+ cars only further solidifies my impression that the newer BMWs are rolling CPUs with each controller (steering wheel, pedals, shifter) just acting no different from a well-designed PC game controller. IMO, that's not very satisfying.

So, until these technologies are perfected so that they are much more transparent, I'm keeping my E36s. I might buy a newer car for more practical purposes, but I will never assume it could play the role of "fun car".

It's really too bad that at this time of renewed enthusiasm toward performance vehicles, few of them care to embody certain core traits that make performance vehicles so satisfying to drive.

With all the nostalgia, this sound a lot like something that David Davis Jr. would write in his 70's :D The newest car in his Top 10 cars list was still pre WWII. It's all relative - think what a Bugatti Type 35 owner would say of the E36 M3...

jdblombe
01-02-2003, 10:37 AM
I'd say go drive it....it really is THAT good. Although I haven't driven the e36 m3, I have driven a lot of cars...many bmws...and haven't ever been FULLY satisfied with the experience until behind the wheel of the Z4. I was amazed. All of the hype and press about the handling characteristics is truly deserved. Just my humble opinion. ;)

brave1heart
01-02-2003, 11:24 AM
I'd say go drive it....it really is THAT good. Although I haven't driven the e36 m3, I have driven a lot of cars...many bmws...and haven't ever been FULLY satisfied with the experience until behind the wheel of the Z4. I was amazed. All of the hype and press about the handling characteristics is truly deserved. Just my humble opinion. ;)

You're probably right about the handling but what good is it if you the car if fugly... It's like having sex with an ugly gymnast - she can bend any any way you want her to but you'd have to keep your eyes shut. I'm afraid that may make driving very dangerous :lmao:

TD
01-02-2003, 11:37 AM
And, in reality, what could I post afterwards?

Say I still don't care for it. I'll get accused of harboring irational biases.

If I'm tepid, I'll get accused of allowing specific things to carry too much negative weight.

And if I LOVE it, well, it would be ugly.

So I have ZERO incentive to actually go drive one AND post about it.

Still, if I am ever really bored on a Saturday, I might.