PDA

View Full Version : Man, that snowflake button does the trick


Mathew
12-31-2002, 01:10 PM
I pretty much always keep my AC at 69F and 3 blue bars. But for some reason it was spewing warm air into my face as i was driving around. It was giving me a headache. I fiddled around with it, lowering the temperature, but it would hardly get cooler. I thought something had to have been broken. Then i saw someone accidently hit the snowflake button and turned it off.

What a relief it was to have cool air again.

bluer1
12-31-2002, 01:21 PM
The SO and I both have heated seats - our thing is to try and
sneak the other's heated seat on without being noticed.
:eeps:

Just one of those little things we do...
:thumbup:

Artslinger
12-31-2002, 02:39 PM
Speaking of the Snowflake button, I've read in some posts that it's a good idea to leave it on all the time even in cold weather. Does keeping the AC on keep the compressor lubricated help the system last longer?

machmeter
12-31-2002, 02:48 PM
The other day it was about 48 degrees and rainy, but I was hot so I put the AC on for about 5 minutes. When I turned it off, immediately all the windows fogged-up. Really sudden! It was almost dangerous, as I was driving. I guess on a cold humid day, the AC just makes things MORE humid. Or I hit the dew point! :D

tgravo2
12-31-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Artslinger
Speaking of the Snowflake button, I've read in some posts that it's a good idea to leave it on all the time even in cold weather. Does keeping the AC on keep the compressor lubricated help the system last longer?

:dunno: Dunno about that, my salesman told me to not run the compressor when using the heater.

Woody
01-01-2003, 10:50 AM
You should always have the A/C (snowflake) button on.

1. Will not allow moisture to form in evaporator (that sweaty gym sock smell you get when first turning on your A/C & Heat)

2. Will not allow air to be humid in cockpit which makes the windows fog up.

:thumbup:

bls
01-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Woody
You should always have the A/C (snowflake) button on.

1. Will not allow moisture to form in evaporator (that sweaty gym sock smell you get when first turning on your A/C & Heat)
I don't know the whole airflow of the BMW HVAC system, but in some cars I've had, it was useful to run the car without air conditioning for a few minutes before you shut it down, to blow the condensation off of the chilly parts of the system. Otherwise, you have a good fungus growth medium while the car is parked.

Woody
01-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by bls
I don't know the whole airflow of the BMW HVAC system, but in some cars I've had, it was useful to run the car without air conditioning for a few minutes before you shut it down, to blow the condensation off of the chilly parts of the system. Otherwise, you have a good fungus growth medium while the car is parked.

In a perfect world the best thing to do would be to run the heat for 3 min on high before turning the car off. Who has time for that!!??

I am just stating what the Field Service Engineer at my dealer told me after the problems I had with "The Smell".