PDA

View Full Version : What to do with brake grime?

jonb23
01-15-2007, 09:32 PM
I was washing my car today and while washing the rims noticed this disgusting looking sludge on my brakes, I tried removing with my finger to see if I could rub it off but no success, what do you guys recommend for getting what appears to be a greenish yellow substance off my brakes?

dboy11
01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I was washing my car today and while washing the rims noticed this disgusting looking sludge on my brakes, I tried removing with my finger to see if I could rub it off but no success, what do you guys recommend for getting what appears to be a greenish yellow substance off my brakes?

is this caked on the rim or the calibers?

jonb23
01-16-2007, 08:12 PM
is this caked on the rim or the calibers?

the rim dude

TOGWT
01-17-2007, 02:59 AM
Many of these hot metal particles land on your rim and literally fuse themselves to the surface. Finally there is brake pad adhesive, modern brake pads are complex compounds of metals, synthetic materials and adhesives (the binder system) which is designed to wear away under friction like the rest of the pad. The adhesives used in brake pads can be very difficult to remove and they are also corrosive and will etch the wheel surface, the metal particles from the pads and rotors will become a conduit for rust compromising the paint surface of your wheel.

Road dirt / tar / brake pad adhesive should be removed with a solvent type cleaner (Stonerís Tarminator ô ) and any bonded contaminants or over spray removed with Detailer's Clay, then clean surface with a chemical cleaner / polish (Klasse All-In-One) wash and dry wheel surface thoroughly.

dboy11
01-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Many of these hot metal particles land on your rim and literally fuse themselves to the surface. Finally there is brake pad adhesive, modern brake pads are complex compounds of metals, synthetic materials and adhesives (the binder system) which is designed to wear away under friction like the rest of the pad. The adhesives used in brake pads can be very difficult to remove and they are also corrosive and will etch the wheel surface, the metal particles from the pads and rotors will become a conduit for rust compromising the paint surface of your wheel.

Road dirt / tar / brake pad adhesive should be removed with a solvent type cleaner (Stonerís Tarminator ô ) and any bonded contaminants or over spray removed with Detailer's Clay, then clean surface with a chemical cleaner / polish (Klasse All-In-One) wash and dry wheel surface thoroughly.

Couldn't have said it better myself

jonb23
01-17-2007, 05:41 PM
thanks so much