PDA

View Full Version : 41K Miles - "Service Engine Soon" light

Sonoman707
01-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I've had over 41,000 miles of problem free driving with my 2004 X3 3.0/Auto.

I had noticed on four occassions in the past month some engine missing or hesitations with the engine under load (uphill freeway on ramp, etc.) - very brief, only a couple of seconds - and couldn't replicate when I would try. Initially thought I may have gotten some bad fuel somewhere.

Happened again this past Sunday night - @60 MPH & accelerating. This time the SES light triggered and has stayed on.

It has a date with the doctor tomorrow morning... will update with the diagnosis. Hopefully a triggered SES indicates the OBDC has captured a meaningful error code and the repair will be accurate the first time around.

sky
01-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Did you have the coils replaced? There is a recall on the
Bremi coils in those engines. The engine hesistating and
missing could be from the bad coils.

AzNMpower32
01-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Yea could be the engine coils or maybe bad gas. Try one of the Top Tier gas companies and definately premium gas if you aren't already doing so.

Sonoman707
01-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Did you have the coils replaced? There is a recall on the
Bremi coils in those engines. The engine hesistating and
missing could be from the bad coils.

No... same coils that were put on it at the factory. Haven't had any problem until now.

Sonoman707
01-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Yea could be the engine coils or maybe bad gas. Try one of the Top Tier gas companies and definately premium gas if you aren't already doing so.

Proud to say nothing but Chevron Supreme has been put in the tank... and 95% of that from one of two Chevron stations I use.

If it is a "coil" issue - will they only replace the offending one - or all of them?

AzNMpower32
01-17-2007, 01:01 PM
They will replace all of the coils at no charge.

Sonoman707
01-17-2007, 03:58 PM
They will replace all of the coils at no charge.

I called my service rep after reading the Bremi vs. Bosch recall... (thanks for the heads up on this - gotta love the info on these boards).

Turns out - mine shipped with Bosch from the factory. Guess that is why I never got a letter in a recall campaign.

The culprit was a defective oxygen sensor.

She's post-op, good as new and getting a bath now. :)

Got to compare my 41K mile '04 to an '06 loaner with 4,000 miles on the clock. My '04 has held up very well... just as tight and rattle free as the '06. The '06 "may" have a bit (tiny bit) softer ride... minute enough that it could just be the result of the new tires.

Makes me feel good about the BMW build quality all over again.