PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP: What polishing pad to use for a new 335?

fidozoom
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
I just want to apply Zaino every now and then and I am looking to get a Porter Cable 7424. Sal from Zaino recommended Lake Country Polishing Pads but I don't know what kind of pads I should get...

I found these on AutoGeek.net: http://www.autogeek.net/curvededge.html

I guess I don't need an abrasive pad so should I get the black pads and the blue pads? or just one of them?

Also what kind of backing plate should I get - I want to get a 6" hook and look kind of plate - shld I get theone sold by AutoGeek (http://www.autogeek.net/duflbapl6.html) or something like this from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004Y772/ref=pd_luc_mri/102-8189380-7923367?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

Please help!!!

Johnz3mc
01-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Autogeek is reputable and good to deal with.
Lake Country pads are an industry standard, just about, so you can't go wrong with them either.
Since your car is in good shape/new, why not a blue and a black pad? That way, you'll be able to wax now and remove mild swirls later.
Get a 5 inch flexible velcro backing plate. The 5 inch plate can handle pads up to 6.5 inches so in the future, you might want to get some 5 inch excel detail pads and give them a try. (They're made by Lake Country).
Pick up a couple of really good microfiber towels with your order. You'll need them for buffing off your wax and get the plushest ones available, don't scrimp on price or quality when you're buffing off wax.
-John C.

JetBlack3
01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
I have been using German made Durafoam Pads and they have worked wonders on my black finish. I haven't used Lake Country Pads before but I heard they are very good quality pads as well. I am currently using the Porter Cable 7424 without the backing plate and instead I am using a quick release adapter system. The adapter allows for a more symmetrical placement on the PC and it allows me to change different pads faster. Here is where I got the system from: http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/product.cfm?id=154F98C4-3048-2C1A-9AED785A11E85DF0

Just my .02.

Totoland
01-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Pad-wise, all the suggestions are good. My recommendation for your new ride is (1) polishing pad and (1) finishing pad.

Meguiar's also has excellent pads for your porter-cable:

#8006 Polishing
#9006 Finishing

Using a good product with those pads will keep your finish swirl free and nice for years.

Totoland

fidozoom
01-18-2007, 08:26 AM
I have been using German made Durafoam Pads and they have worked wonders on my black finish. I haven't used Lake Country Pads before but I heard they are very good quality pads as well. I am currently using the Porter Cable 7424 without the backing plate and instead I am using a quick release adapter system. The adapter allows for a more symmetrical placement on the PC and it allows me to change different pads faster. Here is where I got the system from: http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/product.cfm?id=154F98C4-3048-2C1A-9AED785A11E85DF0

Just my .02.

Thanks for the response. The one thing that worries me about the adapter system is that if there is a small defect in the release adapter with slightly higher pressure the adapter might go through the pad and hit the car. I read that someone had this experience when using a 4" polishing kit from Lake country.

I am just thinking that this woul dnever happen with a backing plate mechanism coz its a flat surface (unless of course, the PC goes through the backing plate). am I being too paranoid?

I like the symmetrical placement idea and if you guys think the quick release adapter systems are good enough I might go with the Edge2000 pads from Autogeek coz I like it that they have a bevelled edge and go upto 8 inches.

Mark_325i
01-18-2007, 09:18 AM
The free MF pad that comes with Zaino works fine for me.

JetBlack3
01-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the response. The one thing that worries me about the adapter system is that if there is a small defect in the release adapter with slightly higher pressure the adapter might go through the pad and hit the car. I read that someone had this experience when using a 4" polishing kit from Lake country.

I am just thinking that this woul dnever happen with a backing plate mechanism coz its a flat surface (unless of course, the PC goes through the backing plate). am I being too paranoid?

I like the symmetrical placement idea and if you guys think the quick release adapter systems are good enough I might go with the Edge2000 pads from Autogeek coz I like it that they have a bevelled edge and go upto 8 inches.

No problem, just trying to help. I absolutely see your concern of the adapter hitting the paint and damaging your finish. I felt the same way when i first saw system. I have used the adapter system on various types of vehicles and finishes with no problems. If you do feel uncomfortable about using the adapter, then the backing plate is always a good way to go :thumbup: .

Good Luck!!!