PDA

View Full Version : The Handbrake

IOHC
01-01-2003, 11:58 PM
ok this may be a really dumb question because no one replies back but i dont know what the answer is so i might as well ask. anyways, how bad is it to use the handbrake in slides or whatever?? i play around with the handbrake in the snow but my friend told me that u can seriously damage ur car/brake doing this. but i only do it in snow or rain and not on dry surfaces. if this IS damaging what is it harmful to? im pretty sure well thought it was ok if the brake locks up right away and slides with no friction, but what do i know :dunno: thanks tho for any answers:thumbup:

The HACK
01-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by IOHC
ok this may be a really dumb question because no one replies back but i dont know what the answer is so i might as well ask. anyways, how bad is it to use the handbrake in slides or whatever?? i play around with the handbrake in the snow but my friend told me that u can seriously damage ur car/brake doing this. but i only do it in snow or rain and not on dry surfaces. if this IS damaging what is it harmful to? im pretty sure well thought it was ok if the brake locks up right away and slides with no friction, but what do i know :dunno: thanks tho for any answers:thumbup:

Tell your friends they should know what they're talking about before giving away dumb advises like that.

The hand brake is a simple drum brake mechanism. Before disc brakes were widely used, drum brakes are the de-facto brake used on most cars on the road...If using drum brakes in the snow, and sliding around would DAMAGE your car then there would have been serious repercussions for auto makers LONG time ago.

The only possible "damage" is wear and tear of the drum brake mechanism...It just means you probably need to replace your drum brake lining earlier (the "drum" is the hub on your rear rotor). However if your wheels are locking up as your sliding around, there are little to no wear on the brakes and despite what your friends tell you, you are not doing any harm to your car. The only thing I'd be weary are the suspension parts, since in a slide you're putting a lot of stress on the suspension components...But they're designed to take that sort of abuse.

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Don't forget the possibility of flatspotting your tires. Beyond that, though...

The HACK
01-02-2003, 09:12 AM
Yeah, flat-spotting would be a problem on prolonged slides.

I'm still amazed at the amount of ignorance in the general public...They seem to think that revving your engine up can damage/shorten the life of your car, that you should let the car sit and warm up in the morning, the 3,000 mile oil change myth...etc. *** knows they're only shortening the life of their car with those stupid advice.

Jetfire
01-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by The HACK
Yeah, flat-spotting would be a problem on prolonged slides.

I'm still amazed at the amount of ignorance in the general public...They seem to think that revving your engine up can damage/shorten the life of your car, that you should let the car sit and warm up in the morning, the 3,000 mile oil change myth...etc. *** knows they're only shortening the life of their car with those stupid advice.

Yup, it's pretty shocking. But they're probably not causing undue harm, they're just either wasting money or not truly enoying their cars. Then again, how many people honestly love cars and how many just want something flashy to drive to work?

IOHC
01-02-2003, 10:34 AM
i thought it was ok besides wearing of the brake. well thanks everone:thumbup:

doeboy
01-02-2003, 11:01 AM
that you should let the car sit and warm up in the morning,

One of my neighbors does that... it's annoying.... they'll let it sit there for like 10 minutes before they leave... then they come back late and let it sit for another 10 minutes.... meanwhile the resonating of the exhaust is just right to bug the heck outta me when i'm trying to watch tv... a constant low rumbling.... it's only a new body Beetle and not even the Turbo model.... :rolleyes:

gray330
01-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Here is a way to get your neighbor to stop warming up his car in the morning...next time he starts it up and goes back into the house, just take the car for a little spin

doeboy
01-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by gray330
Here is a way to get your neighbor to stop warming up his car in the morning...next time he starts it up and goes back into the house, just take the car for a little spin

That's the thing... he sits in there or waits in the garage when he does this. At least close the garage door.... if he develops problems from exhaust inhalation that's not my problem... :p haha

maybe sneak by and jam something up the tailpipe... :angel:

HW
01-02-2003, 12:43 PM
They seem to think that revving your engine up can damage/shorten the life of your car

always good for the engine to occasionally do an italian tuneup. my friend has an auto a4-1.8tq and rarely/never revs it. he had to bring his car in several times because it wouldn't start. according to the mechanic, his valves were clogged because he rarely/never revs it.
:dunno:

doeboy
01-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by DougDogs
wait, don't you live in southern california:dunno: :dunno:

can't you call the smog police?? or something like that:dunno: :bigpimp:

Hehe..... wish I could... this is a new beetle though... I don't think the smog police would care...

normally I don't think it would bug me so much except that he does it at weird hours of the night.... he's got Georgia plates so he probably brought it from there when he moved out here..... you might be able to get away with it there since (I'm guessing) houses are generally farther apart and resonances don't effect your neighbors as much... :dunno: but here... geesh... makes me think my subwoofer for my home theater is on the fritz or something.... it's like come on man... modern cars don't really need to have "cool down" periods do they? unless of course you've been running a turbo or other boost that ran real hot and need to do that.... :rolleyes:

bluer1
01-02-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by doeboy
One of my neighbors does that... it's annoying.... they'll let it sit there for like 10 minutes before they leave... then they come back late and let it sit for another 10 minutes.... meanwhile the resonating of the exhaust is just right to bug the heck outta me when i'm trying to watch tv... a constant low rumbling.... it's only a new body Beetle and not even the Turbo model.... :rolleyes:

It's probably illegal in CA - it is in TX:

§ 545.404. Unattended Motor Vehicle
An operator may not leave the vehicle unattended without:
(1) stopping the engine;
(2) locking the ignition;
(3) removing the key from the ignition;
(4) setting the parking brake effectively; and
(5) if standing on a grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

There's also a city ordinance. It's regularly enforced to "cut down
on auto theft."

doeboy
01-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by HW
always good for the engine to occasionally do an italian tuneup. my friend has an auto a4-1.8tq and rarely/never revs it. he had to bring his car in several times because it wouldn't start. according to the mechanic, his valves were clogged because he rarely/never revs it.
:dunno:

Reving high while driving is fine I think.... it's the reving the engine high in neutral with no load on it (racing the motor I think it's also known as) which is supposedly bad for the engine.

doeboy
01-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by bluer1

(1) stopping the engine;
(5) if standing on a grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.

on auto theft."

He's always with the car when he does it.... :dunno:

Terry Kennedy
01-02-2003, 01:05 PM
he's got Georgia plates so he probably brought it from there when he moved out here.....
How long has he been doing this? Normally you get 30 days to re-register/-inspect/-insure your vehicle when you move between states, though people try to get away with more if they've moved to a state with higher rates. You could always turn him in for failing to re-register.

pmb1010
01-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by bluer1

(1) stopping the engine;

on auto theft."

We have similar law in NY.

But, even on private property??? I'd have a hard time if a cop tried to write me a ticket on my own driveway.

I can understand in a shopping parking lot, liquor store, in a "public" accessable area, etc where the dumb ones typically do this.

Vic

CD-55
01-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Reving high while driving is fine I think.... it's the reving the engine high in neutral with no load on it (racing the motor I think it's also known as) which is supposedly bad for the engine.

Who told you that!!! LOL!:angel:

Please post their explanation… I would love to laugh some more.:lmao:

bluer1
01-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by pmb1010

But, even on private property??? I'd have a hard time if a cop tried to write me a ticket on my own driveway.

I can understand in a shopping parking lot, liquor store, in a "public" accessable area, etc where the dumb ones typically do this.

Vic

The way it reads, I suppose so. They tend to hit the public places.
I have a hard time seeing them ticketing someone in their
own driveway too but they do tend to stretch things when it
gets to code violations/enforcement - like annoying your neighbors.

Hmmm - didn't realize he wasn't leaving the car in my reply above.

·clyde·
01-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by pmb1010

Would you have a hard time if a cop tried to arrest someone for having illegal drugs or stolen merchandise sitting in their driveway. It's private property after all. :p

Seriously, what qualifies as leaving the vehicle unattended? Is it just being out of the car or is the car still attended when the operator is standing 20 feet away? What if the operator is inside a building, but watching through a window?

doeboy
01-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by CD-55
Who told you that!!! LOL!:angel:

Please post their explanation… I would love to laugh some more.:lmao:

Doesn't it say that in the owner's manual of some cars? I could've sworn I read that in some kind of car manual somewhere.... :dunno:

I was wondering what the harm was in just reving the engine too.... It didn't make much sense to me either... :dunno:

doeboy
01-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Terry Kennedy
How long has he been doing this? Normally you get 30 days to re-register/-inspect/-insure your vehicle when you move between states, though people try to get away with more if they've moved to a state with higher rates. You could always turn him in for failing to re-register.

Hehehe.... that's an Idea... :angel:

He's had those plates way longer than 30 days... for sure.... they moved into that place in the spring/early summer....

Artslinger
01-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Clyde@work
Would you have a hard time if a cop tried to arrest someone for having illegal drugs or stolen merchandise sitting in their driveway. It's private property after all. :p

Seriously, what qualifies as leaving the vehicle unattended? Is it just being out of the car or is the car still attended when the operator is standing 20 feet away? What if the operator is inside a building, but watching through a window?

I'm sure cops have better things to do then hand out tickets for leaving your car running unattended in your own driveway/garage. BTW I let my car warm up 10 seconds at the most... and on a cold winter day 30 seconds.

Artslinger
01-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Other things I do to my car that seems to freak other fanatics out... change the oil at 15,000 miles, take my car to the (gasp) car wash- it is a hand wash place, hit the rev limiter, and use no higher than 93 octane gas. One thing I will not do, is abuse the 325's crappy clutch.