PDA

View Full Version : Ipod and aux - clearification

cbj
01-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Ok I know there are a lot of information on Ipod integration and the X3 and I did a search today but still not 100% sure. From the BMW site:

"auxiliary audio input adapter compatible with portable music players"

As I understand this the aux input dosen't do anything but let me play music from my Ipod through the stereo with no control of the Ipod through the X3s stereo.

And if I want more control I will have to purchase it from BMW or third party offerings.

David1
01-18-2007, 11:05 AM
That is how I understand that it works.

silvergray
01-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Just think of an aux input as headphones. Anything that uses speakers/headphones can be plugged in - but the car does not have any control over them.

cbj
01-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Just wanted to make sure there wasn't more to the "compatible with portable music players". Writing that the aux is compatible with portable music players is like saying that putting the gear in reverse is compatible with driving the car backwards.

ChiefCrazyTalk
01-18-2007, 05:06 PM
That is how I understand that it works.

Just to be clear though - you CAN adjust the volume when using the aux jack.

Bora20
01-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Just to be clear though - you CAN adjust the volume when using the aux jack.

I would assume so. You can also adjust the input level by adjusting the volume on the player itself.

dima123
01-18-2007, 09:02 PM
how much does it cost with installation

h317
01-19-2007, 12:56 PM
I would assume so. You can also adjust the input level by adjusting the volume on the player itself.

If you use the aux input, you can only the volume through the car stereo. Adjusting iPod volume does not do anything.

brh_minn
01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Sorry, but that is not correct. Changing the volume on the MP3 player even with the AUX input will change the volume in the car through the stereo. There are 3 ways to control the volume through the AUX:

1) The volume of the device itself.
2) The setting on the radio for the AUX input volume (1-5, I think)
3) Stereo volume.

h317
01-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Sorry, but that is not correct. Changing the volume on the MP3 player even with the AUX input will change the volume in the car through the stereo. There are 3 ways to control the volume through the AUX:

3) Stereo volume.

Mmmmm, that's not my experience:dunno: for the last 6 months that I have been driving my X3 listening to my iPod through the aux.

voerman
01-23-2007, 11:50 AM

3) Stereo volume.

It depends on the connection you use from the MP3 player to the aux input. If you connect to the ear phone jack on the MP3 player, that jack is controlled by the player's volume setting. If you connect to a "line-out" jack on the MP3 player (dock connector on the ipod), that jack is generally not controlled by the MP3 player's volume setting.

Lou

cbj
01-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Any sound quality difference between the two in real life testing? What solutions are there for "line-out" connector?

Almost got my old car sold and man do I look forward to the arrival of the X3.

NateXTR
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
I noticed a significant increase in sound quality with the iPod adaptor.

Brh_Minn is 100% correct regarding the aux-jack/headphone output from the device. IF you have a "line out" connector, you will be unable to control the volume via the unit itself, but will have marginally better sound quaility (I've found).

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 06:00 PM
The DICE would be the best kit on the market for the X3, this is the kit you need:

DICE iPod Integration Kit for BMW
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=268

The DICE iPod Kit will integrate perfectly with your X3 and offer steering wheel control as well as ID3 text and charging of your iPod. Full CD Quality can be expected after installation. The kit will come with everything needed w/ the docking cable. The iPod can be safely stored away in the glove compartment or center console for 100% stealth installation and accessed completely from the steering wheel controls.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

jd101
01-28-2007, 06:10 PM
I noticed a significant increase in sound quality with the iPod adaptor.

Brh_Minn is 100% correct regarding the aux-jack/headphone output from the device. IF you have a "line out" connector, you will be unable to control the volume via the unit itself, but will have marginally better sound quaility (I've found).

NateXTR,

What type of iPod adaptor do you have? I can't seem to find one that has the iPod "docking" plug on one end and the regular aux/headphone plug (to go into the X3 Aux input) on the other end.

NateXTR
01-28-2007, 07:21 PM
jd101,

In my 3er (before I had the BMW interface installed), I used a Monster FM (iCarplay) modulator to power the iPod, with a regular 3.5mm male/male wire to connect to the AUX input. I also have a product (a couple of years old now) made by Belkin? that is a "docking connector" down to a 3.5mm jack on the other end, it did offer better sound, but didn't charge the iPod so I stopped using it. I just did a search on Apples site, and they don't seem to offer it anymore.

good luck! BTW, I think I am going to order the Dice set-up for the wifes X3 when it makes it back stateside. I will then be able to determine what the best set-up is. Stay tuned.

jd101
01-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks Nate. I just found this cable online. It has the 3.5mm aux plug on one end and the iPod dock connector on the other. http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=614&sku=35508

midijab
01-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Just installed the DICE with HD Radio. Unit is a little larger than the plain DICE w/o HD Radio. Heck, for $50 more the programming is getting up there like the Sats. Quality of sound is impressive. The install is relatively easy. On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the most difficult, I'd give it a 5. Key here is to disassemble everything first. Route your wires, plug it all together, play with it to make sure it all works, then close it all up. There were a few crazy things that poped up, but no show stoppers. Info, to any questions that poped up could be found on this web site or the internet, or just called Tom at EAS (btw he's the expert and can answer anything that may pop up out of the ordinary). Yeah, I did get my unit from EAS.

Here's a few misnomers that poped up during my install.

1) Dug and found the wiring harness beneath the center console. Unwrapped the bundle and plugged both the 3 wire and 6 wire connectors of the included vehicle harness to these connectors. Noticed there were 2 - 6 wire connectors with one of them marked CD.
I assumed since I was picking up the CD changer input I plugged it in there. Went to the back of the radio and swapped the lines to the free connector which also was marked CD.
Attempted to play the ipod but got no sound! Flipped to the other connector and put the original connector back onto the back of the radio and now it plays. Wierd. Left it at that since I don't have Sirius. If I get Sirius in the future I may need to figure out what's going on with the other lines.:confused:

2) Had the ipod going and the sound was pretty bland. The FM radio had more life to it. Went to check out the dice web site to read up on all the ipod stuff and came across the a blurb concerning reseting the EQ on the ipod. Did that and whoa did it ever wake up!

3) Which brings me to ipod control. The DICE HD/ipod unit didn't come with the standard DICE ipod instructions but should be included with it. All the necessary key stroke controls on the radio isn't listed on the HD DICE users sheet. No real problem though as I downloaded the PDF from DICE (rev_b01) and sat in the car for some time going through all the functions. Yep, I can even control the ipod from the steering wheel! :thumbup:

4) When I installed the unit I didn't want to take chances so I disconnected the battery. When I was done I decided to take a drive. Well, when I started car, My DSC and Brake lamps wouldn't extinguish on the instrument cluster.:yikes: I decided, what the heck I gotta go for a drive (in the rain) for at least 5 minutes to re-sync my Anti-Theft device. Had the hand brake down and everything seemed OK on the drive. Came home and tried researching resetting the fault lamps. Went back out, started the car and all lamps were back to normal. Oh well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed nothing else weird happens.

5) I get periodic scrolling of the Song titles, Artist, Album info, etc. I noticed in the DICE ipod manual, text display is limited to 12 characters. Some of my songs, album names, etc. are more than 12 characters and it attempts to scroll display the whole data field. Sometimes you get funny stuff, for example: One of my albums is titled "Birds Of Passage". Clearly 16 characters (white space included). The display scrolls, pauses at the 12th character (Birds Of Pas) then spits out "sageeeeeeeee". funny it didn't fill null characters on the second packet.

Well, all in all. The DICE ipod with HD Radio is th bomb! :thumbup: Anything else is, well, Un-Bimmer.:D

Here's an example:

tom @ eas
01-28-2007, 09:38 PM
jd101,

In my 3er (before I had the BMW interface installed), I used a Monster FM (iCarplay) modulator to power the iPod, with a regular 3.5mm male/male wire to connect to the AUX input. I also have a product (a couple of years old now) made by Belkin? that is a "docking connector" down to a 3.5mm jack on the other end, it did offer better sound, but didn't charge the iPod so I stopped using it. I just did a search on Apples site, and they don't seem to offer it anymore.

good luck! BTW, I think I am going to order the Dice set-up for the wifes X3 when it makes it back stateside. I will then be able to determine what the best set-up is. Stay tuned.

We've got you covered on the DICE kit, let me know when you're ready.

tom @ eas
01-28-2007, 10:03 PM
2) Had the ipod going and the sound was pretty bland. The FM radio had more life to it. Went to check out the dice web site to read up on all the ipod stuff and came across the a blurb concerning reseting the EQ on the ipod. Did that and whoa did it ever wake up!

Thanks for the detailed review! Send me a quick email and I'll reply with a copy of the iPod instructions for you.

bobotski
01-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Just installed the DICE with HD Radio. Unit is a little larger than the plain DICE w/o HD Radio. Heck, for $50 more the programming is getting up there like the Sats. Quality of sound is impressive. The install is relatively easy. On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the most difficult, I'd give it a 5. Key here is to disassemble everything first. Route your wires, plug it all together, play with it to make sure it all works, then close it all up. There were a few crazy things that poped up, but no show stoppers. Info, to any questions that poped up could be found on this web site or the internet, or just called Tom at EAS (btw he's the expert and can answer anything that may pop up out of the ordinary). Yeah, I did get my unit from EAS.

Here's a few misnomers that poped up during my install.

1) Dug and found the wiring harness beneath the center console. Unwrapped the bundle and plugged both the 3 wire and 6 wire connectors of the included vehicle harness to these connectors. Noticed there were 2 - 6 wire connectors with one of them marked CD.
I assumed since I was picking up the CD changer input I plugged it in there. Went to the back of the radio and swapped the lines to the free connector which also was marked CD.
Attempted to play the ipod but got no sound! Flipped to the other connector and put the original connector back onto the back of the radio and now it plays. Wierd. Left it at that since I don't have Sirius. If I get Sirius in the future I may need to figure out what's going on with the other lines.:confused:

3) Which brings me to ipod control. The DICE HD/ipod unit didn't come with the standard DICE ipod instructions but should be included with it. All the necessary key stroke controls on the radio isn't listed on the HD DICE users sheet. No real problem though as I downloaded the PDF from DICE (rev_b01) and sat in the car for some time going through all the functions. Yep, I can even control the ipod from the steering wheel! :thumbup:

4) When I installed the unit I didn't want to take chances so I disconnected the battery. When I was done I decided to take a drive. Well, when I started car, My DSC and Brake lamps wouldn't extinguish on the instrument cluster.:yikes: I decided, what the heck I gotta go for a drive (in the rain) for at least 5 minutes to re-sync my Anti-Theft device. Had the hand brake down and everything seemed OK on the drive. Came home and tried researching resetting the fault lamps. Went back out, started the car and all lamps were back to normal. Oh well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed nothing else weird happens.

5) I get periodic scrolling of the Song titles, Artist, Album info, etc. I noticed in the DICE ipod manual, text display is limited to 12 characters. Some of my songs, album names, etc. are more than 12 characters and it attempts to scroll display the whole data field. Sometimes you get funny stuff, for example: One of my albums is titled "Birds Of Passage". Clearly 16 characters (white space included). The display scrolls, pauses at the 12th character (Birds Of Pas) then spits out "sageeeeeeeee". funny it didn't fill null characters on the second packet.

Well, all in all. The DICE ipod with HD Radio is th bomb! :thumbup: Anything else is, well, Un-Bimmer.:D

Here's an example:

Could you please post photos on where you mounted the DICE/HD unit and antenna? I'm curious, given its size and an external antenna, where they can be placed. Haven't seen any Dice/HD photos here yet. Thanks!

tom @ eas
01-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Could you please post photos on where you mounted the DICE/HD unit and antenna? I'm curious, given its size and an external antenna, where they can be placed. Haven't seen any Dice/HD photos here yet. Thanks!

Behind the glovebox is choice due to antenna location. Some people have mounted underneath the center console, however we haven't confirmed that installation position on our own yet.

midijab
01-29-2007, 11:22 PM

I'll take a few photos next chance I get. Hopefully I can get home at a decent hour to do it during the week. Otherwise it'll be the weekend.

gsgag
02-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Went to stereo shop and guy mentioned that DSP Harmon-Kardon will interfere with Ipod adaptor hook-up. Since I do not want to use ear-phone jack, what other options do I have? (besides a new stereo) I have a single disc changer (no multi from the rear)
:dunno:

tom @ eas
02-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Went to stereo shop and guy mentioned that DSP Harmon-Kardon will interfere with Ipod adaptor hook-up. Since I do not want to use ear-phone jack, what other options do I have? (besides a new stereo) I have a single disc changer (no multi from the rear)
:dunno:

Thankfully, he didn't perform any work - the 3-series was never offered with DSP (however, this is an X3 thread).

This is the kit you need, this is 100% compatible with H/K:

DICE iPod Integration Kit for BMW
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=268

You can retain your factory stereo, have steering wheel control and text display in about 30 minutes. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Richard in NC
03-17-2007, 05:37 AM
I just had the BMW iPod docking adapter installed. I asked for a console location but they put it in the glove box. :( Its nicely intergrated with the stereo and steering wheel controls but I didn't realize the BMW version isn't as sophisticated as the DICE kit. It doesn't do text or album/artist selection but does allow play lists if you name them BMW1-BMW5. The sound is very good even with the base stereo.

Interestingly the iPod was a gift. I've correctly told folks that I'll be spending far more on accessories than the iPod itself.

cbj
03-17-2007, 06:55 AM
I will install the Ebay Ipod adapter when I pick up my X3 11.30 today. This fancy package includes a charger and Aux cable. The Ipod will be installed floating somewhere in the cabin :)

cbj
03-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Well the sound was good and the ipod fit perfectly into the cup holder. It lost all its last batterie in the cold weather last night. So I am not sure if leaving it in the car is the best idea.

HGX3.0
03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks Nate. I just found this cable online. It has the 3.5mm aux plug on one end and the iPod dock connector on the other. http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=614&sku=35508

so If I purchased this cable and plugged into the aux jack on the rear of the center console (07 model) and set stereo mode to AUX I should get my ipod nano to work? Has anyone tried using the little white apple remote control with this setup - so you have up and down scanning capabilities? TIA

tom @ eas
03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
so If I purchased this cable and plugged into the aux jack on the rear of the center console (07 model) and set stereo mode to AUX I should get my ipod nano to work? Has anyone tried using the little white apple remote control with this setup - so you have up and down scanning capabilities? TIA

That would work, but you will have no text display, steering wheel control or charging capabilities.