PDA

View Full Version : X5 to X3 Transition

jonathanx5
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
After 6 years with 2 X5 3.0 ('01 & '04), I just signed a lease for a '07 X3. The new X5 seems too big and frankly too expensive. After 18 years of BMW, I just couldn't get into Lexus or Acura. 50% of my driving is done alone and the rest is done with my wife and 12 year old son. I rarely have more than 3 in the car so I am not that concerned with a little less room.

Has anyone else made this switch? I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Sonoman707
01-18-2007, 11:24 AM
I test drove the X5 before buying my X3...

Simply preferred the size, and nimbleness of the X3 in comparison.

MTLX3
01-18-2007, 02:13 PM
After 6 years with 2 X5 3.0 ('01 & '04), I just signed a lease for a '07 X3. 50% of my driving is done alone and the rest is done with my wife and 12 year old son. I rarely have more than 3 in the car so I am not that concerned with a little less room.

Actually you won't have less room, you'll have more room. Here's a quote from Car & Driver when the X3 came out back in 2004:

The X3's wheelbase is less than an inch shy of the X5's, and the X3's black-plastic bumpers are only four inches closer together. The width and height differences are minimal as well. The X3's seating space offers more rear-seat headroom and legroom. Compared with the X5, the X3's cargo hold is actually bigger by 30 percent with the rear seats folded (almost) flat, 26 percent with the seats up.

rudeney
01-18-2007, 02:37 PM
The only place you really mis the space between an X5 and an X3 is in width. Even though foot and headroom is tighter in the X5 in the back seat, it***8217;s almost impossible for the adults to sit in the X3***8217;s narrower backseat. Also, front seat passengers tend to feel more ***8220;confined***8221; in the X3, even though the specs say they have more room.

One thing I liked about the X3 over the X5 was a feeling of openness and visibility. The X5 seemed more closed-in with smaller windows and a lower roofline (in terms of distance from the floorpan). Of course I came from a Mercedes-Benz ML, which was much larger than the X3 or X5, but for my needs, 99% of the time I do not miss the extra space.

MSAMMY
01-19-2007, 09:43 AM
We have a 2002 X5 and a 2007 X3. Both are nice vehicles, but the X3 is nicer! The first thing I noticed when I first drove the X3 was it handles like a BMW! The X5 handles like a made-in-USA SUV (because it is!(final assembly)). The only time we notice the size difference is when they are parked side-by-side in the garage. The X3 is noticably smaller, mostly in height and just about everybody comments when they see them side-by-side. I don't believe what BMW says about the cargo space - all I know is I can fit my kid's hockey bag, one large suitcase, one small suitcase, a PC laptop bag and a few other small items in the cargo area of the X5, with the seat up! The X3, I cannot fit the bag in sideways by itself without crushing it in (we usually flip 1/2 of the seat down. Anyway, no regrets with the X3, except the cargo space issue. The X3 build quality (made in Austria) is much better than the X5. Our X5 is nearly falling apart after 5 years and 70K miles, dead pixels on the display, peeling paint on the inside door handles, weird feeling brakes, ABS, DSC and Brake idiot lights on (after installing a new battery), and last but not least, chasing after the infamous "battery drain" problem. BMW and our dealers won't admit the problem, but suggest that I trickle-charge the battery occasionally to keep the new battery charged - what a joke, I have to plug my car into an outlet at night to be sure it will start in the morning. Anyway, sorry about the long post, just wanted to point out our observations in X3 vs. X5. I'd say go for it - again, it handles like a BMW!!!

TropicsX5
01-19-2007, 10:06 AM
:) I bought a 2003 X5 brand new in Dec 2002. In Nov. 2006 1 month before warranty expired and 44K miles BMW called me to take vechicle in for service and have every thing checked and they would pay still under warranty. Took in to dealer and they replaced battery, replaced brakes, replaced computer display in radio and dash, wipers what ever it needed and anything else they could find under warranty. Very satified with BMW service. Only out of pocket expense so far on X5 was new tires. Also they also gave me a cool 2007 3 series as a loaner at no charge I paid the $14 a day for insurance :D

sfca-325i
01-20-2007, 07:45 AM
:) I bought a 2003 X5 brand new in Dec 2002. In Nov. 2006 1 month before warranty expired and 44K miles BMW called me to take vechicle in for service and have every thing checked and they would pay still under warranty. Took in to dealer and they replaced battery, replaced brakes, replaced computer display in radio and dash, wipers what ever it needed and anything else they could find under warranty. Very satified with BMW service. Only out of pocket expense so far on X5 was new tires. Also they also gave me a cool 2007 3 series as a loaner at no charge I paid the $14 a day for insurance :D

Great dealership service story. :thumbup:

MSAMMY
01-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Great dealership service story. :thumbup:

Sure is, I wish I bought mine there!

X3 Skier
01-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I have had a loaner X5 while my X3 was in for service. Felt like I was in a bathtub (both sitting and driving)!

Definitely the X3 is for me.

Cheers

joneledx3
01-21-2007, 05:00 PM
the transition shouldnt be that bad. The only thing migh get annoying is that the technoligy isn't as good and is basicly the same as your 2004 X5

-joneledx3

e60lover
01-21-2007, 06:44 PM
We have a 2002 X5 and a 2007 X3. Both are nice vehicles, but the X3 is nicer! The first thing I noticed when I first drove the X3 was it handles like a BMW! The X5 handles like a made-in-USA SUV (because it is!(final assembly)). The only time we notice the size difference is when they are parked side-by-side in the garage. The X3 is noticably smaller, mostly in height and just about everybody comments when they see them side-by-side. I don't believe what BMW says about the cargo space - all I know is I can fit my kid's hockey bag, one large suitcase, one small suitcase, a PC laptop bag and a few other small items in the cargo area of the X5, with the seat up! The X3, I cannot fit the bag in sideways by itself without crushing it in (we usually flip 1/2 of the seat down. Anyway, no regrets with the X3, except the cargo space issue. The X3 build quality (made in Austria) is much better than the X5. Our X5 is nearly falling apart after 5 years and 70K miles, dead pixels on the display, peeling paint on the inside door handles, weird feeling brakes, ABS, DSC and Brake idiot lights on (after installing a new battery), and last but not least, chasing after the infamous "battery drain" problem. BMW and our dealers won't admit the problem, but suggest that I trickle-charge the battery occasionally to keep the new battery charged - what a joke, I have to plug my car into an outlet at night to be sure it will start in the morning. Anyway, sorry about the long post, just wanted to point out our observations in X3 vs. X5. I'd say go for it - again, it handles like a BMW!!!

I am guessing you have never driven a Chevrolet Suburban...You say the X5 handles like an American SUV; I mean I understand that the X3 is a bit more nible and agile.....But Please...:dunno: . You make it sound like the X5 (Yours is a 2002 model might I add) is a piece of garbage And I don't see why just because the X3 is made in Austria makes it handle more like a BMW....

MSAMMY
01-22-2007, 08:50 PM
I am guessing you have never driven a Chevrolet Suburban...You say the X5 handles like an American SUV; I mean I understand that the X3 is a bit more nible and agile.....But Please...:dunno: . You make it sound like the X5 (Yours is a 2002 model might I add) is a piece of garbage And I don't see why just because the X3 is made in Austria makes it handle more like a BMW....

e60lover, I'm sorry I've offended you (or anyone else for that matter), just go drive a new X3 and you'll understand my comments - it's a great machine! I've had alot of problems with our X5 and yes, it's now 5 years old, I'd expect a vehicle that cost nearly $50K to be a bit more reliable after just 5 years. My major issue with the X5 is the light feeling steering (mostly on the highway), it's sometimes hard to keep in a straight line and the braking (and electrical problems currently encountered). The X3, albeit brand new, feels more like my 1997 328i, 2000 528i (both retired) and my current 550i, than the X5 - and yes, I've owned several SUV's made in America and Japan. So, just my observations on X5 transition to X3 - again, I love the cargo space and size of the X5, but prefer the handling of the X3. :)