PDA

View Full Version : Ipod

jonathanx5
01-18-2007, 08:00 PM
I have seen many posts about Ipod integration but I am still confused. What are my options
for '07 X3 with:

Navigation
Sirius
Premium Sound

Thanks

cbj
01-19-2007, 10:04 AM
As I understand it:

1) Simple hook it into the aux and the sounds comes through the system. Changing songs etc takes place on the Ipod not other integration

2) BMW X3 Ipod integration where you can change songs and playlists through the stereo. You will not be able to see any information in the display regarding what is playing

3) DICE offers aftermarket solution which includes HD radio and which also enables you to see track info and off course let you change songs/tracks through the stereo

There are other offerings to other BMW with Idrive but that is currently not offered on the X3.

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 06:06 PM
I have seen many posts about Ipod integration but I am still confused. What are my options
for '07 X3 with:

Navigation
Sirius
Premium Sound

Thanks

We have what you need:

DICE iPod Integration Kit for BMW
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=268

This will plug into the 3/6 pin connectors in your center console and allow the iPod to be integrated with your steering wheel controls, while retaining Sirius. Expect iPod charging and text display also.

codyhogan
01-23-2007, 06:55 PM
How is your product different from the Denison product?

I just found the answer to my question on another thread. Tom,
would you consider this a pretty easy DIY (Sat/Nav/Prem)?

Thanks.

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 07:02 PM

We have a comparison of the kits here:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/ipod_matrix.php

The ice>Links were discontinued in the states back in March '05, and are no longer supported. The DICE kits were redesigned from the ground up and are mush more stable than the ice>link.

David32
01-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Tom is this compatible with any mp3 player or only ipod? I have a phillips mp3 player thats very similar.

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Tom is this compatible with any mp3 player or only ipod? I have a phillips mp3 player thats very similar.

While any MP3 player will plug into the AUX port on the DICe module - the specific features are iPod-only.

David32
01-23-2007, 07:35 PM
So I understand about the specific features but what about an improvement in sound quality over the standard aux input?

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 07:40 PM
So I understand about the specific features but what about an improvement in sound quality over the standard aux input?

Less distortion and sharper sound quality since a low level signal is present rather than high level. Also you have a charging source.

David32
01-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Great so if i place an order tommorrow how long would it take to reach MS? ALso would I need to order a longer cable to install it in the rear?

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Great so if i place an order tommorrow how long would it take to reach MS? ALso would I need to order a longer cable to install it in the rear?

FedEx Ground it is 4-5 days, we have faster shipping methods on the website. Total cable length is 15 feet, this should be plenty for your install.

David32
01-23-2007, 07:56 PM
One more thing there are 2 types listed on the website 1 with dsp and 1 without for 149.00. Is there a difference as I do have DSP. Actually was wondering is HD a better buy and is it also installed in the rear with a long enough cable? Thanks!!

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 08:02 PM
One more thing there are 2 types listed on the website 1 with dsp and 1 without for 149.00. Is there a difference as I do have DSP.

What year is your X3?

David32
01-23-2007, 08:07 PM

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 08:14 PM
One more thing there are 2 types listed on the website 1 with dsp and 1 without for 149.00. Is there a difference as I do have DSP. Actually was wondering is HD a better buy and is it also installed in the rear with a long enough cable? Thanks!!

Here are the configurations you need depending on if you want iPod integration only or the kit with HiDef radio also:

DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?&products_id=467

You should not need the DSP converter. Also, I would recommend having the iPod in the cabin area with you - it is much more convenient than going into the cargo area every time to retrieve your iPod.

David32
01-23-2007, 08:17 PM
so i put the module up front in the console but the connections are from the back at the cd changer connection?

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 08:19 PM
so i put the module up front in the console but the connections are from the back at the cd changer connection?

This depends - you can disconnect your Sirius connections (if you are not running Sirius) and use the connectors at the center console to prevent wire routing. This would make the job a little easier.

If you are running Sirius - then you can use the CD Changer connections, which will be live.

David32
01-23-2007, 08:22 PM
No I dont have Sirius, so youre saying there are connections somewhere at the console or in the console that until i decide whether or not to do satellite i can use to connect this correct?

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 08:24 PM
No I dont have Sirius, so youre saying there are connections somewhere at the console or in the console that until i decide whether or not to do satellite i can use to connect this correct?

Yes - they are located underneath the console bucket. :)

David32
01-23-2007, 08:28 PM
So the instructions to do this come with the kit right. Just ran outside to look the only thing i saw was a rubber mat looking thingy inside the console do I lift this out or is it some place else? One other thing with losing the stereo control with a non ipod would I retain the ability to do the volume adjustments you know presently with the standard aux you can turn your player up but you have to turn the stereo up very loud to get decent sound

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 08:42 PM
So the instructions to do this come with the kit right. Just ran outside to look the only thing i saw was a rubber mat looking thingy inside the console do I lift this out or is it some place else? One other thing with losing the stereo control with a non ipod would I retain the ability to do the volume adjustments you know presently with the standard aux you can turn your player up but you have to turn the stereo up very loud to get decent sound

The kit has basic installation instructions, but we are here to help if you should run into any trouble along the way. This is a very simple installation.

The DICE is a line out signal - no need to mess with volume adjustments.

midijab
01-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Does the Dice Hi Def Radio and iPod Integration come with an Antenna for the Hi Def Radio?

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Does the Dice Hi Def Radio and iPod Integration come with an Antenna for the Hi Def Radio?

Yes - there is a 1"x1" micro HD antenna included with the kits.

midijab
01-23-2007, 09:12 PM
What do I need beyond the Dice Kit and a cradle to mount it? I'm thinking of mounting the cradle in the center console lower bucket of my X3. Full instructions, right?

tom @ eas
01-23-2007, 09:20 PM
What do I need beyond the Dice Kit and a cradle to mount it? I'm thinking of mounting the cradle in the center console lower bucket of my X3. Full instructions, right?

You can add the cradle to the order if you would like, however it wouldn't add any additional features other than securing holding the iPod. I would spend the money on a case instead.

We have the Sleevs on our site or the DICE cradle if you wish:

Sleevs and other iPod Accessories:
http://www.europeanautosource.com/index.php?cPath=42_66

DICE iPod Cradle w/ Video Support
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=25&products_id=269

upier
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Tom,
In one of your posts you go into detail on how to install the Dice kit in an E46. at the end someone writes that you don't have to take apart the glove box but can remove it whole. Do you have pictures of that? Also how and where do you mount the Dice module?

Thanks,

tom @ eas
01-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Tom,
In one of your posts you go into detail on how to install the Dice kit in an E46. at the end someone writes that you don't have to take apart the glove box but can remove it whole. Do you have pictures of that? Also how and where do you mount the Dice module?

Thanks,

Sure thing - you can find our tutorials in our Knowledgebase for the 3-series. We're working on other models at this time (already have an X3 photo shoot completed):

http://www.europeanautosource.com/support-center/index.php

iversonm
01-24-2007, 06:26 PM

I just found the answer to my question on another thread. Tom,
would you consider this a pretty easy DIY (Sat/Nav/Prem)?

Thanks.

It is a relatively easy DIY in the X3, as all of the install is done under the center console storage unit.

The hardest part is retrieving the wiring harness from under the bracket that holds the console.

I'd happily offer advice if needed.

bobotski
01-24-2007, 08:29 PM
I second this. The wiring harness is really tucked in below the bracket and hard to find, but its there. The next hard part is guiding the cable through the console hinge. In the end, it is a very clean install.

Tom, I recommend offering shorter cables to X3 owners, since you dont need to route the 6/3-pin cable any longer than 12 inches from the source.

tom @ eas
01-24-2007, 08:36 PM
I second this. The wiring harness is really tucked in below the bracket and hard to find, but its there. The next hard part is guiding the cable through the console hinge. In the end, it is a very clean install.

Tom, I recommend offering shorter cables to X3 owners, since you dont need to route the 6/3-pin cable any longer than 12 inches from the source.

Already have them, but it will connect at the back of the radio.

David32
01-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Tom do you have or can you direct me to the specs on the 07 x3 dsp audio system as far as wattage, speaker size and sub size?

tom @ eas
01-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Tom do you have or can you direct me to the specs on the 07 x3 dsp audio system as far as wattage, speaker size and sub size?

Sorry, I don't have this info handy - the same radio/amp is used in the Z4 for reference.

MTLX3
01-25-2007, 07:32 AM
already have an X3 photo shoot completed
When will the link be ready? Thanks.

tom @ eas
01-25-2007, 09:15 AM
When will the link be ready? Thanks.

Hopefully, we can start over the weekend.

MTLX3
01-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Hopefully, we can start over the weekend.Thanks, please post a link to it when it appears on your website.

I will put my order through some time in February! :thumbup:

angina
04-25-2007, 07:00 PM
So I have ordered a 2007 X3 with Premium Sound (DSP), Navigation, and NO sirius service....

I haven't seen any confirmations anywhere (just comments saying that the trunk interface kit should do with no DSP converter) that I don't need the DSP version of the DICE module.....

can anyone confirm what I need to order?

tom @ eas
04-25-2007, 07:27 PM
So I have ordered a 2007 X3 with Premium Sound (DSP), Navigation, and NO sirius service....

I haven't seen any confirmations anywhere (just comments saying that the trunk interface kit should do with no DSP converter) that I don't need the DSP version of the DICE module.....

can anyone confirm what I need to order?

You will need this kit:

Your connections will be in the center console, underneath the storage bucket.

Tlon
04-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Hopefully, we can start over the weekend.

Is there any update on this install article?

tom @ eas
04-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Is there any update on this install article?

Unfortunately, not yet. Is there any specific step you would like help on?

Tlon
04-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately, not yet. Is there any specific step you would like help on?

No, nothing in particular. Just looking for pics of an install, options for where the unit goes, etc.

I'll be ordering a 2007 X3 this month, so it will take a couple months to arrive. It will have premium audio and nav, and I plan to add satellite and ipod integration. I just wanted to have all the parts and information I need before it arrives so I can install everything right away. If I understand the posts so far, the satellite gets installed in the back and the DICE under the armrest console. Is this correct? Do either require extensive modification (e.g., drilling holes) to run wires?

tom @ eas
04-26-2007, 05:20 PM
No, nothing in particular. Just looking for pics of an install, options for where the unit goes, etc.

I'll be ordering a 2007 X3 this month, so it will take a couple months to arrive. It will have premium audio and nav, and I plan to add satellite and ipod integration. I just wanted to have all the parts and information I need before it arrives so I can install everything right away. If I understand the posts so far, the satellite gets installed in the back and the DICE under the armrest console. Is this correct? Do either require extensive modification (e.g., drilling holes) to run wires?

Couldn't be easier in the X3. Simply locate the CD Changer connectors underneath the center console bucket and plug in the DICE kit - you're done!

Tlon
04-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Couldn't be easier in the X3. Simply locate the CD Changer connectors underneath the center console bucket and plug in the DICE kit - you're done!

Thanks, Tom.

Okay, so just so I have this straight. To install the BMW/Sirius OEM satellite radio adapter on a 07 X3 with Nav and Premium Sound, I find the connectors in the trunk area of the X3, plug it in, and I should be good to go. No running cables to the radio or anything like that. Correct?

To install the DICE, I locate the connectors under the center console and plug in the DICE. Here are my questions: how difficult is it to get into the center console? Do I need to remove the entire thing? Is there an easy access panel of some sort? Where does the DICE sit permanently once I've plugged it in? In the console? Under it? Since the 07 X3 has an aux. adapter already, I assume I don't need to worry about accessing the one on the DICE, correct?

If I buy the DICE with HD radio, does it integrate into the shark fin antenna? Or do I need to run a separate antenna?

Thanks for your help!

cbracerx
04-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Tom - thanks for all the detail on these options. I have a 2007 X3 with Business CD only (i.e. no Nav, DSP, Sirius). I am interested in the DICE HD and Ipod option, what is the typical install location of the HD module with this?

Chris

tom @ eas
04-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks, Tom.

Okay, so just so I have this straight. To install the BMW/Sirius OEM satellite radio adapter on a 07 X3 with Nav and Premium Sound, I find the connectors in the trunk area of the X3, plug it in, and I should be good to go. No running cables to the radio or anything like that. Correct?

Correct.

To install the DICE, I locate the connectors under the center console and plug in the DICE. Here are my questions: how difficult is it to get into the center console? Do I need to remove the entire thing? Is there an easy access panel of some sort? Where does the DICE sit permanently once I've plugged it in? In the console? Under it? Since the 07 X3 has an aux. adapter already, I assume I don't need to worry about accessing the one on the DICE, correct?

the needed connectors are underneath the center console bucket wrapped in a cloth sheath. Simply plug the connectors into the DICE and the iPod connector can remain in the center bucket. You can use the AUX connector on the BMW or the DICE (or both).

If I buy the DICE with HD radio, does it integrate into the shark fin antenna? Or do I need to run a separate antenna?

Thanks for your help!

The DICE has its own micro HD antenna, which is mounted on the inside of the glass.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

tom @ eas
04-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Tom - thanks for all the detail on these options. I have a 2007 X3 with Business CD only (i.e. no Nav, DSP, Sirius). I am interested in the DICE HD and Ipod option, what is the typical install location of the HD module with this?

Chris

HD module is a bit bigger than the standard DICE module - typically they are placed behind the glovebox out of sight.

ryanpei
04-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Tom,
Will the HD module actually fit under the console?
Seems easier than behind the glove box, as I'd like to keep the ipod in the console.
Thanks
R

tom @ eas
04-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Tom,
Will the HD module actually fit under the console?
Seems easier than behind the glove box, as I'd like to keep the ipod in the console.
Thanks
R

The HD module measures at 9x3x3, it cannot fit underneath the console. There is room behind the glovebox on an e46.

ryanpei
04-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Actually, its for a E83 (2005 X3).
Same response, or is there room under the console in this one.
Thanks again.
R

tom @ eas
04-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Actually, its for a E83 (2005 X3).
Same response, or is there room under the console in this one.
Thanks again.
R

No room under the center console for HD module placement - but it can fit behind the glovebox. If you would like the iPod to reside in the center console area, you will need an extension cable:

Extension cable for DICE iPod Dock connector (6 feet)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=878

Evlengr
04-30-2007, 05:36 PM
I know I am going to get beat up on this one, but I feel obligated to save you all some money. HD is a passing fad that only benefits the radio giants and not the consumer. The processing of HD is actually dumbed down to the same level as analog radio in order to help a process known as "Blending". This is when the digital signal is too weak and it must revert to the more powerful analog signal. If they did not sound the same it would be the approx. equivalent of going from CD to regular radio.

HD will sound clearer, but not better. Another example you mightt be familiar with is when a cell phone cuts out, and then switches to analog. This also benefited the phone companies since it used less bandwidth and thereby less money. It' s relatively the same with conventional radio.

This is just one of many reasons I recommend as an engineer to spend your money on other electronics.

Here is another link that will also shed some insight:

http://fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=396533

In the end run -- up to you.

angina
04-30-2007, 08:04 PM
regardless of whether HD radio is worth it or not, I think the fact that DICE provides ipod integration for both HD and on-HD DICE units is great! i think having HD radio on top of the integration is a plus, but the ipod integration in itself would be worth it...

can't wait to install it in my x3!

tom @ eas
04-30-2007, 08:17 PM
The $40 mail in Rebate just made the deal even sweeter. More info here:

DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod support - $40 MIR for limited time only!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203095