PDA

View Full Version : New update on damages

in_d_haus
01-02-2003, 01:01 PM
I went to the body shop today to talk over the damages with the body shop manager. The cars AFU.

The manager starts out by saying the $4000 is "way low" of the actual damage. He proceedes to take me into the shop to my car.
They had removed the bumpercover, taillights, bumper, and exhaust as well as the trunkliner and spare.

He started out by pointing out theat the left side of the spare tire well was shoved in by the exhaust. He also mentioned the exhaust hangers were not only broken but torn off in the impact.
He showed me numerous body misalignments and said the frame (unibody) was bent and needed to be pulled back into shape.
He also pointed to the rear body panel and said it had to be cut off and a new one welded in it's place.

At least 3 weeks of work.

The car also has to go to a exhaust shop to fit the new exhaust and to the dealer to have the alignment, wheels, and other mechanicals examined for damages.

:bawling:

Kaz
01-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

[...]
He showed me numerous body misalignments and said the frame (unibody) was bent and needed to be pulled back into shape.
[...]

Ouch. :thumbdwn:

That's usually a sign that its pretty bad. If the impact was hard enough to do that, the other damage is far from surprising.

in_d_haus
01-02-2003, 01:12 PM
On the up side I'm very impressed with the shop I chose. They are very professional and the shop was nearly spotless even with all the work going on. There was an E46 M3 in there, guy spun it off the road, a E38 740, and a couple E46 330s.

Rick, the shop manager, was very helpful and sympathetic to my baby.

Good news, since I'm in need of an exhaust I'm getting the AA Gen 3 put on in place of the factory unit. :thumbup:

TD
01-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Damn, that really sucks haus. It's really too bad that the odds are very slim of getting the damage number high enough for it to be totalled instead. Obviously, frame damage is permanent. As someone posted here once after CD-55's accident (and I'm sorry for not remembering who), frame damage means the frame is bent TWICE, once during the damage and again when straightened. Bending metal will always reduce it's future strength.

Make sure to try to get through her insurance some form of compensation for the value you will certainly lose at resale time.

in_d_haus
01-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by TD
Make sure to try to get through her insurance some form of compensation for the value you will certainly lose at resale time.

I don't think we can push it up to the totalled value. It will probably come in at $8000 - $10,000.

I'm absolutely going after "lost value" on the car. I'm going down to my dealer to get info from them (since they CPO'd it) and see if they can give me something in writing on how much less the car is worth. I'll also talk to the shop about this.

Any advice from the legal beagles out there?

·clyde·
01-02-2003, 01:31 PM
If you could get it totalled, would you want to? It's kind of hard to tell from your comments. If, given the choice, you'd rather it be totalled, you might want to see if you (or insurance co.) can find a buyer for the wrecked car. Between the sale and the money for repair costs you might be able to get fair market value or better. It may not be an easy thing to do, but it could be an option. It worked out well for me on my 1984 318i.

Cliff
01-02-2003, 01:31 PM
Here's a link to an interesting article on diminished value: http://www.accidentcheck.com/add001.htm

CD-55
01-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
I don't think we can push it up to the totalled value. It will probably come in at $8000 - $10,000.

I'm absolutely going after "lost value" on the car. I'm going down to my dealer to get info from them (since they CPO'd it) and see if they can give me something in writing on how much less the car is worth. I'll also talk to the shop about this.

Any advice from the legal beagles out there?

When I was unsure of the final outcome of my 330Ci, I asked a local dealer. They told me that even if the frame damage repair was done well... they would not accept it as a trade it at all! How much loss value is that! I am sure that for some price they would have really accepted it?

jw
01-02-2003, 02:41 PM
From what I saw of the original pictures I'd say your bimmer held up quite nicely. Wasn't the bumper off the other car? I still can't believe a person could move your car that far in a parked spot. Must have really clipped the end hard.

My wife's minivan had over $10k damage on it and they wouldn't total it. New front end, new front engine, and it's been running fine for the past 2 years. (knock on wood)

pdz
01-02-2003, 02:43 PM
the initial accounting of when the side of my e36m3 got t-boned by a mother rushing to daycare at the end of the day was....$12,000. the adjuster forgot to look inside and account for the damage. this held up the repair work. total damage after it was all accounted for? $21,000. on a $42,000 car and they insisted on repairing it as opposed to totaling it.

nice to hear you have a good bodyshop to deal with.

(sigh).

accidents are just plain miserable to deal with.

Eugie Baange
01-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Jeez, 'haus, 10 grand that sucks...
I dunno, I think you'd be better off with a total :dunno:
Still, when I got my body work done a year ago, the shop showed me an E36 that they welded a whole new back end to.
It was stone immaculate.
The frame goes beyond body panel damage though :tsk:
Sheeeit.

hblair
01-13-2003, 04:06 PM
The car also has to go to a exhaust shop to fit the new exhaust and to the dealer to have the alignment, wheels, and other mechanicals examined for damages.

That sounds a lil concerning. Makes me wonder why the shop is subbing out the exhaust work. Usually shops do that if they're having aftermarket exhaust installed. It's best to do all the stuff in-house if possible.

As far as the other car hitting yours at 40mph. I don't buy that for a second. A stationary car getting hit by another traveling 40mph usually rtesults in at least one total loss. Looks like 20mph to me.

On the LOV (loss of value) you prolly have a prretty good case. Many insurance companys pay it. Especially seeings how you're a claimant hit by their insured (assuming her ins. admits liability, don't see how they could get around it) and have a late model bmw.

Also, seen some posts from people claiming your car wouldn't be the same. If your car is repaired correctly, you should have no problems with it. "Undectable repair" is the term we use here. :)

hblair
01-13-2003, 04:07 PM
BTW, how's your car coming along?

in_d_haus
01-13-2003, 04:23 PM
Work continues, I am having an aftermarket exhaust installed hence the subbing out of the exhaust.

The current expenditures is around $6000 with another couple weeks to go.

30 - 40 is not the impact speed, more like the entry speed. She left 12 ft skid marks prior to hitting the car...impact was probably around 20 -25mph

Cliffs article on Diminished value is very interesting.

03BMW330
01-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by TD

Funny I tried to push that issue with insurance agent when my car got hit in parking lot. They told me “No Way Amigo” than I called NY DMW to complain and they told me they couldn’t do anything that is between insurance and me. How would you get them to pay you????

HT
01-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by 03BMW330
Funny I tried to push that issue with insurance agent when my car got hit in parking lot. They told me “No Way Amigo” than I called NY DMW to complain and they told me they couldn’t do anything that is between insurance and me. How would you get them to pay you????

"Diminished value" is excluded from your policy, if you are in New York and most other states.