PDA

View Full Version : Report on 3000 mile breakin trip

dug01
01-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Drove our '07 X3 with step trans and 300 miles from Buffalo to Winterhaven, FL then to west NC then back to Buffalo. Best mileage was leaving FL--dry cool (no A/C) and flat roads--got 26.5 at 70 MPH average(come cruising at 80--seen 100 during passing)--dropped to 25.5 in mountains and 24.5 in mountains and cold rainy weather--ran 89 octane most time--one or 2 fillups with 93 Not bad for a new car-2 adults and 100lbs of luggage. Car was very comfortable to drive and went down the road nicely. Cruise at 55 or 85 and car is unflappable. Ride is slightly bouncy compared to our Audi Allroad but felt more stable and took the rough roads better--It was as quiet as the Audi and as roomy. Wife confirmed back seat was roomier and more comfortable. X3 got better mileage than Audi(22-23 on allroad)..Audi had more luggage space behind back seat but X3 is sufficient enough. Sirius radio, MP3 CD's and nav were a joy to have--nav got us out of trouble a couple of times when we went off the course exploring--it was helpful finding places to eat. Only one glitch the whole trip--the map screen on the nav went blank! I removed the DVD twice and restarted it--after the second try it worked and performed flawless since. Platinum Bronze still looked good with road grime on it--I noticed how bad black looked with dirt on it.-Black was my second choice--glad I passed. Overall we are happy with the car--it equals the Audi in many respects and surpassed in some(tightness,--response from dead stop and mileage) to name a few. A few minor gripes--cruise control is very aggressive on hills causing 1 or 2 gear downshifts--trans did not always find the right gear or hung too long in a gear at times. Also downshifts delayed often--pushing into SD caused abrupt downshift and acceleration. 2nd to 3rd up shifts harsh until fully warmed up. Auto wipers did not always perform consistently as the rain amount varied.
We are happy:D

Ishniknork
01-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Congrats dug! I love the X3 on the highway. Give the trans programming a little more time to adapt and it willo probably smooth out some. :thumbup:

vern
01-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Congrats dug! I love the X3 on the highway. Give the trans programming a little more time to adapt and it willo probably smooth out some. :thumbup:
Glad your enjoying your X3 we enjoy ours as well. Why are you using 89 octane? You should get better MPG using 93.
cheers
vern

dug01
01-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Glad your enjoying your X3 we enjoy ours as well. Why are you using 89 octane? You should get better MPG using 93.
cheers
vern

Didn't seem to make much difference on mileage--I did the same with the bi-turbo Audi--89 same as 93 on mileage but a noticeable diff in performance--X3 seemed to like the 89-
I think If I could compare the 2 grades running the same route(same terrain and temps) I might see a difference--But the .01 a gal difference compared with 1 MPG would have to be considered.