PDA

View Full Version : Spins in a SMG car

ed325i
01-02-2003, 05:03 PM
I am curious regarding the technique that drivers of SMG equipped cars would use to recover from a spin. With a regular manual transmission car, the driver would press the clutch during a spin. What does one do in a SMG car? There is no manually operated clutch. Is there a quick way to pop into neutal? Just curious. Not like I have any money to buy a car with SMG!

Ed

The HACK
01-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Well, the Ferrari SMG allows you to pull both paddles to put the car in NEUTRAL. :dunno:

Mr. The Edge
01-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by The HACK
Well, the Ferrari SMG allows you to pull both paddles to put the car in NEUTRAL. :dunno:

No such thing as Ferrari SMG

:dunno: :dunno:

:p

The HACK
01-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by atyclb
No such thing as Ferrari SMG

:dunno: :dunno:

:p

Okay, the Ferrari F1 paddles...Better?

Where's that picture of semantics police when I need it? :flipoff:

doeboy
01-02-2003, 05:38 PM

Doesn't the SMG have something similar? ...like push the shifter to one side or something? :dunno:

Jspeed
01-02-2003, 06:09 PM
I have an idea. I think the next SMG should have a clutch pedal. It would be a DBW pedal that can temporarily disengage the clutch for odd instances like so described. Its use would be totally optional. Imagine, it would be even more intuitive to invoke launch control with this electronic pedal.

·clyde·
01-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Okay, the Ferrari F1 paddles...Better?

Where's that picture of semantics police when I need it? :flipoff:

This one?

http://i.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/wef/police.jpg

:D

Stuka
01-02-2003, 07:13 PM
SMG by design will clutch in when it detects spin. However, it is best if you put the SMG in neutral. Since I have managed to stall the SMG twice now by braking too fast in higher gear to a stand still.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

doeboy
01-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Stuka
SMG by design will clutch in when it detects spin. However, it is best if you put the SMG in neutral.

So how does one do this? Is it something like pushing the shifter to one side? or pull both paddles or something?

Stuka
01-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by doeboy
So how does one do this? Is it something like pushing the shifter to one side? or pull both paddles or something?

Push lever to the left.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

doeboy
01-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Push lever to the left.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

Thanks! I thought that was it... :)

The HACK
01-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Push lever to the left.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

I like Ferrari's solution better...Still leaves the choice to stall the car in your "hands".

Now how would it know which gear to go back into once you LEAVE neutral? Does the SMG automatically go back to the previously selected gear, or does it default back to 1st? How about the Ferrari's F1 gear shifter?

EDIT: What I mean is Ferrari's paddle still allow you to sort of clutch into neutral by keeping both hands on the wheel...Where as the BMW SMG require you to take one hand off wheel to put the car in neutral.

OBS3SSION
01-03-2003, 06:05 AM
What kind of sequential manual system do the WRC cars have? They've got either paddle-like devices or shift fobs (or both) AND they have a clutch pedal for launching.

CD-55
01-03-2003, 07:20 AM
When you are spinning you better not press the clutch until you have given up and pushed the brake pedal to the floor. Since you are locking the brakes… I think the SMG should react the same as it would any other time you lock the brakes and go into neutral before stalling the engine.

Pinecone
01-03-2003, 11:26 AM
CD-55 is right. SMG goes to neutral when you lock the brakes.

If you do a PC delviery you will spin one a couple of times or so. No big deal. I did manage to stall ours once on the skid pad during a school. I was trying to hang the tail out and just got it out when the inside front tire hit a dry patch. That time it did stall.

But considering the number of spins I have seen (watching others at the PC) and done, klilling it once is not bad. Most people will kill it more times by not getting the clutch in quick enough.

ed325i
01-03-2003, 11:33 AM
Push lever to the left.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

Doesn't sound like a convenient thing to do in a spin! Both your hands should be on the wheel!

Ed