PDA

View Full Version : Small paint chip with rust

HVACman
01-21-2007, 08:21 PM
I've found a pin head sized chip on the trunk lid that appears to be rusted. Can I fix this myself with the Dr. Color Chip product ? (I'm not sure of the name) Do I need to remove the rust or can I simply paint over it? :dunno:

Thanks.

picus
01-22-2007, 07:04 AM
You can paint over rust, but that will not stop it from spreading. You need to remove the rust to stop it. Here is how I deal with rusted chips:

1) Grab a bottle of rust converter, most auto places will have this. It's a viscous green liquid; wear gloves when applying.
3) Carefully take any lose sections of paint off, use tweezers or a toothpick.
2) Apply the converter to the area liberally (read the directions of course, but it'll basically say apply liberally and let sit), let it sit for a few minutes then wipe off. Repeat until all visible rust has turned grey/whitish.
3) Get a pencil, pen or other implement of similar size and attach a tiny bit of high grit sandpaper (2000+) to the end, and lightly rub the effected area. Try to avoid good paint, you're removing left over rust. Alternatively some auto places sell "rust pens" which are pens that have glass tips which are used to sand away rust.
4) Repeat the rust converter *again*.
5) Clean with alcohol and water (50/50 in a sprayer). Spray liberally and remove.
6) Use a primer pen to prime any bare metal, let dry 1 hour.
7) Use color matched touchup and apply as carefully as possible.

You can use the color chip product, but make sure to perform steps 1-5 regardless to remove the rust as thoroughly as possible.

HVACman
01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks Picus. I appreciate your reply.