PDA

View Full Version : Rear Windshield Shattered

banditca
01-22-2007, 04:34 PM
I woke up yesterday and found the rear windshield in my 2006 X3 shattered. There is nothing inside, and there is no mark indicating that something hit it. It was particularly cold (for LA) for the last few nights, below freezing, but obviously the glass should withstand it. Does anyone know if this qualifies as defective glass that would be covered by the warranty? Thanks.

kjboyd
01-22-2007, 04:47 PM
My nieghbor had a loaner Audio wagon do that same thing a few weeks ago on a particularly cold night here in Sacramento. Nothing hit it, it just imploded.

NateXTR
01-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Any glass outside the car? Or was it all inside? If there was any outside, I'd bet that it was bad glass.

Sorry it happened, good luck.

Bobert
01-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Sure it wasn't a pellet gun or b-b gun? I would check under the seats in case it the projectile rolled underneath, and throughly check the back side of the front seats and rear seats for any small hole or dent.

Be Em Double Yu
01-22-2007, 11:37 PM
We recently went through 10-20 degree lows in Washington State and I left my X3 outside for everyday of that Artic blast and the rear window was fine. Of course, if this was truly a defect in the 2006 model, then they may have fixed it for 2007.

jcarlilesiu
01-24-2007, 07:18 AM
I have a 2004 X3 that I just got 2 weeks ago. It has been mid 20's at best here in Chicago lately. No problems with any of the glass, nor have I heard of that kind of problem (exploding glass) on any car in the past. There have been instances where glass will crack and cracks will expand when in extreme cold, but a complete blow out like that just doesn't seem the case. I would double check for vandalism, and Ill bet thats what the dealership is going to tell you.

banditca
01-24-2007, 10:34 AM
The car was thoroughly checked - nothing inside. When I first saw it, there was no hole, just completely cracked glass - no indication of any mark on the outside. I've since come across a few people who had the same experience (including one 04 X3 on this board).

Anyway, the BMW factory rep refused to cover it as a warranty issue, but the dealer decided to fix it as a goodwill gesture. Not sure if there is something more going on here, or if the dealer just decided it was smart business to keep the customer happy, since a case for possibly defective glass could certainly be made. Either way, the dealer scored big points with me.

NateXTR
01-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear that it worked out in the end. I hope that this is the end of the issue.

Brent P
02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
It doesn't take much to make tempered glass explode (sunroof & side and rear windows). The slightest nick in the surface will eventually lead to failure of the glass either during temperature changes or at speed on the highway when there is a significant pressure differential between the exterior and interior of the car. It happens all the time, particularly with sunroofs that have been slightly chipped or scratched by a flying stone. And no, it's not an X3 problem; it happens on every kind of vehicle. It's the way tempered auto glass is designed to shatter for safety. Unfortunately it can be caused by minor scratches in the surface as well.

If it happens soon after delivery of a new car, there is a good chance the glass was damaged during transit, and you should go after the dealer (who will often replace it as a goodwill gesture).

d-rive
02-02-2007, 01:17 AM
maybe some internal tensions...

vern
02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
The car was thoroughly checked - nothing inside. When I first saw it, there was no hole, just completely cracked glass - no indication of any mark on the outside. I've since come across a few people who had the same experience (including one 04 X3 on this board).

Anyway, the BMW factory rep refused to cover it as a warranty issue, but the dealer decided to fix it as a goodwill gesture. Not sure if there is something more going on here, or if the dealer just decided it was smart business to keep the customer happy, since a case for possibly defective glass could certainly be made. Either way, the dealer scored big points with me.
Being that the dealer did replace it and made you a happy customer don't you think it would be nice on your part to mention the dealers name. Very few people mention there dealers name even when they do something good for them,this is one thing I'll never understand why.
cheers
vern