PDA

View Full Version : 5th "service engine soon" light on new 2007 X3

colorwolfy
01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I purchased my new 2007 X3 on December 12th, 2006, within 2 days, the "service engine soon" came on, I took it in and the sales found a technician to look at it so I didn't have to make an appointment.

About a week later, the light came on again, this time I followed proper procedure and talked to a service advisor about it. They fixed it and said it was some connector on a blower that went bad, and was told it was fixed.

Another week later, the light came on again, I took it in and was told it was the blower again, and they had it replaced this time.

AND another week later, the light came on once again, I took it in, and they blamed it to a loose gas cap - fine, I'll take it this time.

BUT, it was about another week since the last visit, and the light came on again. I have attempted to retighten the gas cap and let it run for three days before I attempted to contact my service advisor again.

I have called him but have not recieved a return call yet. I am asking everyone here what should/can I do? Did the 110 miles on my X3 before I even bought it signify anything? I was told it was a dealer trade so I accepted it even with a relatively high mileage on it. Is it possible to invoke the lemon law upon them? I am getting extremely frustrated with this car; I have been going to the dealer to get it serviced week after week to no avil.

ycrazyy
01-23-2007, 12:46 PM
IMO if you purchased the vehicle (not leased) I would certainly try and invoke the lemon law on it if you can. It would scare me that the car has had that many problems this early on. Maybe the one time it was the gas cap, but clearly there are other issues with the car.

Also, 110 miles on the car when you got it? That is ridiculous if you ask me. When I got a dealer trade of my 05 325 convertible it had about 15 miles on it and I've never had more than 25 miles on any dealer trade car I've ever gotten.

If they give you problems I would recommend calling BMW NA and voicing your concerns to them.

stangmatt66
01-23-2007, 02:49 PM
With 110 miles on the odo when you got it, I would make the assumption your X3 was some sort of demo car or loaner before your dealership traded for it. But that's beside the point. Hope you get the CEL problem worked out soon.

colorwolfy
01-23-2007, 05:23 PM
An update on the situation;

Took the car in again today, after running diagnosis with me besides my car, the computer shows a 0.5mm superfine leakage.

Was told again this may be caused by the gas cap, or any leakage in the gas tank. After I told them I know how to turn the gas cap till it clicks, we scheduled an appointment to have the car thorougly inspected next week.

Hope everything turns out right after this time.

stangmatt66
01-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Would the next logical step include ordering and trying a new gas cap?

Sonoman707
01-25-2007, 10:03 AM
The X3 has a specific light for the gas cap if it isn't tightened... (Check Gas Cap)

Odd that it is throwing the SES if that is the problem.

X3_2007
02-05-2007, 03:24 PM
My "service engine soon" just came on as well (at slightly over 4k miles). Haven't noticed any problems with the car. Haven't filled in in the past 5 days either (I still have 1/2 a tank). Made appointment for tomorrow morning. Will see what they find.

Evlengr
02-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Lemon Laws vary from state to state, but it is usually 3-4 times for the same problem within the fist year or 15k miles. Plus the delership pays your lawyer if they lose. Look it up. I recently got rid of a nightmare of a vehicle (Grand Cherokee 2005) at a lose in favor of a 2007 X3. I should have pressed it the 4'th time in within 30 days. Don't let this go.

X3_2007
02-13-2007, 02:19 PM
According to the dealer, my "Service Light" problem was caused by a small leak in the gas tank. My service adviser said that it was possibly due to the gas cap not being screwed in tight enough. :o|

That was BS. I know how to close the gas cap, and I make sure it's tight every time I fill up. Really! Besides, the light came on two weeks after I filled up, with at least 1/2 a tank left. I suspect, that eventually it will turn out to be a wide-spread problem with faulty gas caps, gas tanks, seals, computer, sensors etc.

jcarlilesiu
02-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah... if you look at your gauges just right, there is a dedicated light that says "Check Gas Cap". Its located between your fuel gauge and your tempurature guage. I would double check and make sure that a loose gas cap will cause the "Service Engine Soon" light as that just doesn't seem right. Why else would they have a dedicated light then. I think your dealer isn't being completely truthful.

Evlengr
02-13-2007, 03:40 PM
In a vehicle that is as electronically dependant and sophisticated as a BMW.,don't wait too long. I got hosed by Jeep with a "Lemon Vehicle" since they managed to way lay me until the statue of limitations wore out. In MD it's 15k or 1 year. If you have the same problem 3 - 4 times (and no don't let them tell you it has to be life threatening...that's a lie) you can force them to replace the vehicle.

dbtheo
02-15-2007, 02:42 PM
With 110 miles on the odo when you got it, I would make the assumption your X3 was some sort of demo car or loaner before your dealership traded for it.

Normally not true, it is VERY easy to rack up miles just from test drives. It is not unusual to have several cars in stock with over 100 miles. It was probably traded BECAUSE of the miles, or because it was sitting on their lot for a while. BMW centers almost never trade loaners or demos.

dbtheo
02-15-2007, 02:42 PM
With 110 miles on the odo when you got it, I would make the assumption your X3 was some sort of demo car or loaner before your dealership traded for it.

Normally not true, it is VERY easy to rack up miles just from test drives. It is not unusual to have several cars in stock with over 100 miles. It was probably traded BECAUSE of the miles, or because it was sitting on their lot for a while. BMW centers almost never trade loaners or demos.

rossmelvin
02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
i did the lemon law 2 times with 2 vw jetta's a 01 and an 02. just do it and get a new car its the best way to go

ycrazyy
02-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Did they ever figure out what the real story was on this? I am a bit nervous because yesterday my "Check Gas Cap" light came on and went off a few times (checked the cap, it was fine and on tight and redid it just in case). Then today I started the car and the Check Gas Cap and Service Engine Soon lights both came on. The gas cap light went off after a few minutes, but the Service Engine light has been on all day. Sounds to me like they have some issues in the '07...

Only had the car since mid-October and have 2600 miles on it. Shouldn't have to go in for service so soon.

bobotski
02-20-2007, 01:25 PM
My 07 X3 is also behaving strangely, with the EML, oil pressure and battery lights remaining lit after I start the engine. However, when I turn the engine off and on again, it goes out. Pretty weird, huh? Has happened probably 5 times already during my 4 months of ownership.

07X3platinum
02-28-2007, 06:42 PM
That's strange. I have an 07 X3, took delivery late November 2006, and luckily I have not had any of these problems. Just over 2000 miles on the car.