PDA

View Full Version : Removing the radio in an 07 X3... Help!

JSY
01-23-2007, 04:14 PM
I assume it's the same as removing it in the 06, etc. Anyway - I have navigation and I need to gain access to the rear of my head unit but I am having difficulty removing the panel that trims the radio and the climate control for fear that I am going to break something. Removing the vents above the radio was easy. Removing the two screws that held the bottom panel frame was easy too, but that is where I got stuck. The top part of the bottom panel is loose around the radio, but the bottom part of it where the climate control is is very snug and tight. I feel that if I try to give it some pressure, the thin frame that surrounds the edge of the radio would snap.

Are there any pressure points around the climate control area that I should be aware of when trying to remove that panel? Like I said, I removed the AC vents above the panel with ease - I just can't seem to get the bottom portion that frames the radio and climate control off, even after removing the two screws that held the top part tight.

And because of this, I can't get to the two screws that hold the radio in place, and I can't get to the back of the radio!

Any help would be appreciated. :)

adc
01-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Try popping out the ashtray and see if there are any screws there that hold the fascia in place. That would be my first guess...

JSY
01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Alright, well I sort of feel stupid thinking that the trim around the radio would be weak. I took a credit card type card and slipped it down the right side and the panel popped off. Later on, I felt that the panel is strong enough to support some bending. :) Anyway, I'm happy I got past this "crisis". LOL!

bobotski
01-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Dont feel stupid, dude. Its better to be cautious than spend big bucks on mistakes of not being careful.

Just curious... what project are you doing that requires access to the back panel?

JSY
01-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks - I kinda felt I made a big deal out of something that I just ended up using a credit card to 'fix'. :) True, I was terrified about breaking something that proved to be quite strong enough.

I had installed the Sirius satellite radio retrofit on my own in my X3 and needed to swap the 12 pin white connector on the back on the head unit with the unused 12 pin white connector that was tied to the wires. Apparently BMW plugged in the wrong connector and without this swap, I got no sound from my Sirius satellite. I'm happy to say that I swapped connectors and viola, now it works great. Thanks to Tom G. from EAS for his assistance. It was quite easy the rest of the way once I figured out how to get access to the radio.

I'd rather have this being the screwed up part rather than what some people have experienced with the incorrectly wiring in the sharkfin. I'm pleased to say that my X3's sharkfin came wired correctly so perhps they have fixed this for all new builts.

Joseph

Sonoman707
01-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks - I kinda felt I made a big deal out of something that I just ended up using a credit card to 'fix'. :) True, I was terrified about breaking something that proved to be quite strong enough.

Don't feel bad - we all go thru that... :)

I had to make the same cable swap to get the signal from the back as opposed to the console when I installed my XM Direct unit.

I'm still trying to get the nerve to remove the left rear door panel to access the speaker housing/mounting.

T

X3_driver
03-09-2007, 06:56 AM
I have an X3 2007 without Nav or DSP. I don't know about the credit card trick, and it would not have worked on my removal. I bought the Sirius receiver from the dealer, and installed it.

Here's how the radio comes out.... You push down on the a/c vents from the top to tension them and the whole thing slides out. Two screws near the top of the radio facing up/the sky hold the heating unit bezel. With those out, and safely in the cupholder, two more screws, facing rear hold the radio in place. That's it.

Anyone know why my "Sirius prewired" X3 is missing the blue antenna connector in the rear?