PDA

View Full Version : Wow, how I've missed my car!

DrBimmer
01-03-2003, 02:47 PM
I really missed my car these past two weeks while I've been in Portugal. I cheaped out again on my rental, and it sure was an "adventure" (read: dull and boring)

On a side note: It is very expensive to drive a nice car over there. Gasoline is expensive as always (prices per liter: 0.95 euro for 95RON, 1.00 euro for 98RON, versus 0.70 euro for diesel) and the tolls on the major highways are insane (16.65 euros one way from Lisbon to Porto on the A1). Add to that the 19% VAT and the Automotive Tax on all new car purchases, as well as the generally low salaries compared to the rest of Europe, and it is a surprise that anyone over there drives a car.

I have never driven a current-gen Jetta, but if it drives anything like this did (they are on the same platform), I am ashamed for VW. I guess the weak engine (1.6) didn't help it out either.

DrBimmer
01-03-2003, 02:50 PM
However, to make things a little better, I did get to borrow this a few times. I continue to be impressed with BMWs diesel engines. This one is a 320d, and it has exceptional performance for a 4 cylinder.

Parump
01-03-2003, 04:52 PM
It is easy for me to forget that we are blessed with relatively inexpensively priced cars and fuel compared to the rest of the world.