PDA

View Full Version : Driver's Window Froze...

x3ronnie
01-25-2007, 10:15 AM
I pulled up to the drive thru yesterday night at about 7:30 and it was about 25 degrees F. My driver's side window was frozen shut and would not open. There was no snow or ice on the window anywhere including on the rubber at the base of the window. This seems very odd to me. I have had the window freeze in the past, but there was snow or ice at the base of the window, and the temps were colder as well. This is my third winter with my '04 X3 and my last as well. I tried opening and closing the window about five times or so, and it did eventually open. Very frustrating though.

PhilH
01-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Maybe the window regulator just died, or is too weak to move it because of some small amount of ice inside the window mechanism. We have to replace the passenger side window regulator on our X3 because it'll go down, but won't go back up all the way without grinding to a halt. Window regulators are a common BMW problem area in all their models, and it's been a problem for years (Volkswagen and others have the same problems-must use the same parts suppliers...).

x3ronnie
01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Maybe the window regulator just died, or is too weak to move it because of some small amount of ice inside the window mechanism. We have to replace the passenger side window regulator on our X3 because it'll go down, but won't go back up all the way without grinding to a halt. Window regulators are a common BMW problem area in all their models, and it's been a problem for years (Volkswagen and others have the same problems-must use the same parts suppliers...).

I hope it's not the regulator. I have 8 months left on my lease, and don't want to be bothered with a trip or trips to service. Seemed to be okay once it opened, but now I will be watching the operation of the window.

vern
01-25-2007, 12:15 PM
I hope it's not the regulator. I have 8 months left on my lease, and don't want to be bothered with a trip or trips to service. Seemed to be okay once it opened, but now I will be watching the operation of the window.
Did you have your car washed recently ?
cheers
vern

x3ronnie
01-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Did you have your car washed recently ?
cheers
vern

Not washed in a while.