PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X3 vs pre-2007 X3's Comparison needed

Southern6er
01-25-2007, 11:34 AM
I currently have a 2006 X3 loaner and have driven other versions with the SP. My question is this though: Fit, finish, performance, style wise, how does the 2007 stack up? Is it roomier inside?

My wife is tired of dealing with her Audi A6's gremlins and was thinking SUV for more space to haul our dogs, kids, etc. The X5 is higher than she is wanting to go, but was disappointed with the pre2007 X3's she's seen.

My loaner is VERY noisy with road noise. How are the 2007's? Quieter?

For those who have driven both, I'd like your inputs on your impressions on how the 2007 has improved in any way or how it may have gotten 'worse' in your views.

Thanks!

pilotman
01-25-2007, 12:16 PM
I currently have a 2006 X3 loaner and have driven other versions with the SP. My question is this though: Fit, finish, performance, style wise, how does the 2007 stack up? Is it roomier inside?

My wife is tired of dealing with her Audi A6's gremlins and was thinking SUV for more space to haul our dogs, kids, etc. The X5 is higher than she is wanting to go, but was disappointed with the pre2007 X3's she's seen.

My loaner is VERY noisy with road noise. How are the 2007's? Quieter?

For those who have driven both, I'd like your inputs on your impressions on how the 2007 has improved in any way or how it may have gotten 'worse' in your views.

Thanks!

I have driven both.

I can't imagine that fit, finish would differ at all. The exterior sheetmetal is the same except for a few very minor cosmetic changes.

Interior and exterior dimensions are also unchanged from 2006 to 2007, therefore the 2007 is not any roomier than a 2006.

I assume they didn't add any more sound insulation either.

If your wife is "very disappointed" with the 2006 model, I doubt she'll change her mind for the 2007 model. It is nearly identical, except for a great new engine and trans...

AzNMpower32
01-25-2007, 01:05 PM
The 2007 is just a facelift: dimensions do not change.

The 2007s get revised head and taillights and bumpers and overall, the look is better exterior-wise. However, there's no mistaking it for only a facelift.

The '07 gets the new engine with Valvetronic, increasing fuel economy. The downside (or upside, depending on what you like) is a quieter engine, as is the trend in all new BMWs. They also seemed to have added some insulation to the doors, which makes the 'thud' a bit more substantial when you shut the door. Also, I think the center tunnel hump is a tad bit lower in the rear foot area, and the back bench seemed to be higher.

There is more wood trim on the dash and leather now graces the interior door panels. So the overall feel is more luxurious inside.

IMO, it sums up to this. If you didn't like the X3 simply because the interior seemed a bit cheap on the plastics, then the facelift will make it better. If you didn't like the X3 because the overall package was disappointing and not luxurious like some other competitors, the facelift won't do anything.

doubledeclutch
01-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Also, I think the center tunnel hump is a tad bit lower in the rear foot area, and the back bench seemed to be higher.

Is this really true? One of the things I like about my '05, is that I can fit tall passengers in the back. I would hate to hear that they decreased headroom in the back by raising the bench.

PhilH
01-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Here's my impressions when I had a 2007 X3 loaner...
So I had a 2007 3.0si loaner yesterday and I though I might as well do a quick comparison with our 2004 2.5i (since I keep writing it in my head anyway).

The front and back bumper revisions are still my favorite part of the facelift. IMO, the black accents give it a more rugged look that fits the X3 better than the full body color bumpers and are a big improvement over the black bumpers of our X3.

The only other thing I really liked was the the nice thick steering wheel that comes standard in 2007.

I was a little disappointed in the new engine. It actually feels less torquey off the line than our 2.5 (hard to believe, but true). They really geared the 2.5 to jump off the line. It jumps in a nice progressive way, not abruptly like an Acura TL does, which is totally out of proportion to how much you are pressing on the gas. Still, when you put your toe into it, the 2.5 immediately gets up and goes. In contrast, the 3.0si seems to rev slowly and then it realizes you're serious and either downshifts or then starts to pick up real speed. Only at high revs is it obvious that the 3.0si has more horsepower than the 2.5, and frankly by the time it got to those high revs, I wasn't interested in going faster anymore. I just don't feel like zooming around much when I'm driving an X3, it seems more like a nice sporty, tall luxury sedan, not so much like a real sports sedan.

I guess it's pretty obvious to most people that they didn't really revise the interior much, and my drive confirmed that impression. One extra piece of wood on the passenger side of the dash, that's pretty much it.

The new standard 17" wheels are decidedly downmarket IMO. Up close they have a nice shape to them, but from a little farther away, they look too flat and featureless. Of course, the optional 19" wheels are a new highpoint in X3 wheels if you opt for them, and there's nothing wrong with the optional 18" wheels either.

If they changed the ride/handling balance from my 2004, I couldn't feel it. I know everyone says the 2004 with sport package was really harsh, but as we don't have the sport package, I've never had a problem with the ride. The steering felt like it might have been a little quicker, but that might have been my imagination, I'm not sure.

All in all, if I was making a choice between a leftover 2006 and a 2007, I would get the 2007 just for the nicely updated bumpers. Other than that, I don't feel like I'm missing anything. OK, I feel like I've made my brain dump now...

AzNMpower32
01-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Is this really true? One of the things I like about my '05, is that I can fit tall passengers in the back. I would hate to hear that they decreased headroom in the back by raising the bench.
I'm not completely positive, but the one I sat in at an Ultimate Drive event sure felt like the bench was slightly higher, although not much. One reason why the back bench is so uncomfortable for me is cuz the bench is far too low and flat. I don't think rear headroom should be an issue at all in the X3.

Southern6er
01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the input. My pre-07 experiences were VERY limited, so wasn't sure about what all had been done.

I like the idea of the twin turbo engine or a possible diesel going into the X3 and X5 lineups, so waiting a bit may be a good thing. :)

pilotman
01-26-2007, 10:09 AM

Not true.

the measurements appear to be exactly the same according to BMW. Headroom remains untrue. If the bench moved the dimensions should be different.

Still based on the e46 chassis.

Sonoman707
01-26-2007, 02:11 PM
IIf your wife is "very disappointed" with the 2006 model, I doubt she'll change her mind for the 2007 model. It is nearly identical, except for a great new engine and trans...

True...

Engine, transmission, a bit of wood and a bit softer ride on the non-sport package.

Sonoman707
01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Most comprehensive write up I have encountered...

What's new for 2007

*** 260-hp 3.0-liter inline-6, with aluminum/magnesium composite construction, Valvetronic valve-lift control, 3-stage induction and double VANOS steplessly variable valve timing, electric water pump and volume-controlled oil pump

*** 260 hp @ 6,600 rpm; 225 ft-lb. @ 2,750 rpm

*** New 6-speed STEPTRONIC automatic with Normal, Sport & Manual shift modes

*** New standard Star Spoke 17 x 8.0-inch wheels (Design #204)

*** New optional Double Spoke 18 x 8.0-inch wheels (Design #205)

*** New optional V-Spoke 19 x 8.5-inch front / 19 x 9.0-inch rear wheels (Design #191M), available in conjunction with the Sport Package.

*** Enhanced Dynamic Stability Control now includes Brake Fade Compensation, Brake Standby, Brake Drying and Start-off Assistant

*** Xenon Adaptive Headlights option now includes new cornering lights (via foglights) and Corona light rings

*** New front-end styling including revised kidney grille with titanium silver vertical slats, new headlight design, relocated DOT indicator lights.

*** Revised rear-end styling now includes chrome exhaust pipes, redesigned rear bumper and new taillight design

*** Retractable headlight washers (in Cold Weather Package) provide a smoother front-end view

*** Reworked interior includes richer, more refined materials on instrument panel and door panels. New dashboard grain provides better tactile feel, and Pearl Gloss highlights on climate-control vents give a warmer appearance.

*** Instrument hood now integrated into upper dash

*** New standard 3-spoke steering wheel

*** Door panels and armrests are now wrapped in leather or leatherette, and include soft-touch paint behind door handle and smaller window-lift switch bezels

*** Mesh net in lower front door replaced by dual storage bins for better small-item storage

*** More luxurious Nevada leather replaces Montana leather

*** Dark Ash Wood trim now standard; Gray Poplar and Light Natural Poplar wood trim are no-cost options

*** Tire Pressure Monitor replaces the previous Flat Tire Monitor

*** 16-way adjustable Comfort Seats are optional

*** Standard audio system now includes built-in auxiliary input for iPod or MP3 player and preparation for Sirius satellite radio

*** Premium Package now includes auto-dimming, power-folding exterior rear view mirrors, and auto-dimming interior mirror includes built-in compass

*** Premium Package also adds BMW universal transceiver (garage-door opener)

*** Premium Package now includes a 4 year membership for BMW Assist instead of the previous 1 year

*** Cold Weather Package now includes front and rear heated seats

Bada Bing
01-26-2007, 04:04 PM
I saw new 2006 and 2007 X3's parked side by side on the dealer lot and compared the interior in great detail. While the basic layout is unchanged, the 2007 looks and feels much better. The plastic grain on the dash and door panels seems to be higher grade. The middle part of the door panels is in leather (or perhaps leatherette) with nice stitching. There is also much more wood trim on the dash. The 2007 has a much nicer looking 3-spoke steering wheel. Frankly, I had never studied the interior of the pre-2007 model to see how cheap it looked. The 2007 version is much improved and seems much more worthy of a $40K+ vehicle. The stock 2007 17" wheels, however, do look small for the car and the standalone 18" wheels appear to be a worthwhile option for $500.

UncleJ
01-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks Sonomaman for the list. Best one I have seen. Went down to Stevens Creek BMW and looked over the 07 with an eye toward comparing it with the 06. I was hoping for an improvement in the ride quality but alas no such luck it appears to be the same harsh ride over rough pavement. My short test drive was interesting in that I felt the take off suffered a bit of hesitation. The dreaded "Audi tip lag" perhaps? Anyway it was not the end all be all that would cause me to trade in my 06 for it. Nicer yes, better certainly with the new powertrain, but I will motor on in my old 06 for a couple more years with no regrets (except about the rough ride). Sonomaman, I note you are from Healdsburg. Great little town full of wonderful resturants. Cyrus and Ralph's are two of my favorites!

Southern6er
01-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Nice comparo.

So is the 07 quieter? My X3 loaner is terribly loud, and I'm not exageratin when I say it is nearly as loud as my 4x4 vehicle! :O

cbj
01-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Loud in what way? The X3 I test road was nice and quite.

AzNMpower32
01-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Nice comparo.

So is the 07 quieter? My X3 loaner is terribly loud, and I'm not exageratin when I say it is nearly as loud as my 4x4 vehicle! :O
Like someone else asked, loud in what way? If its road noise, then check the tires. The Bridgestone Turanzas are the worst of the 3 OEM tires. In addition, the X3 will not be as quiet as a 3-series and BMW obviously did some cost cutting so some wind noise is apparent in the highway, although IMO it's never to the point where it's annoying.

If its "the engine is too loud"........well I've said this before. BMW is on an unfortunate trend of making whisper-quiet luxury cars that don't make pleasing sounds until 4500rpm. Older BMWs always had a pronouced exhaust note at any rpm, and the 2004-06 X3s were, IMO, blessed with excellent engine music all the time from the M54 engine. I really think its the nicest sounding SUV er- SAV out there. However, if you don't like the engine note, the 07 is quieter with the new N52 engine. However, it is always louder than a Lexus RX350 or an Acura RDX (which btw I just found out, is made in Ohio, not Japan like I thought)

stangmatt66
01-29-2007, 03:03 PM
From my brief drive in a 2007 3.0si the other day, the lag in the throttle seems as if the tranny starts in second gear. I assume (I didn't get a chance to try) the sport mode would force the tranny to start in first.

Anyone know for sure?

chuck92103
01-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Will the X3 and Z cars ever get iDrive? :dunno:

stangmatt66
01-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Will the X3 and Z cars ever get iDrive? :dunno:

Not until the next complete redesign around 2010.

chuck92103
01-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Not until the next complete redesign around 2010.

Wow, I did not realize how far behind they were. Another 3-4 years?

AzNMpower32
01-29-2007, 06:49 PM
From my brief drive in a 2007 3.0si the other day, the lag in the throttle seems as if the tranny starts in second gear. I assume (I didn't get a chance to try) the sport mode would force the tranny to start in first.

Anyone know for sure?
Its true.

stangmatt66
01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Its true.

Awesome, looks like my 3.0si will always be in sport mode... :D

dug01
01-29-2007, 07:28 PM

Anyone know for sure?

My '07 always starts in 1st but shifts to 2nd quickly--but still enough power in second for good getaway--just push the throttle further to hold 1st longer--I get no lag--and I think sport mode holds in the gears too long for normal driving.

AzNMpower32
01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
SD works well even in normal driving BUT it sucks too much gas in 1-3rd gears. SD does lock up the torque converter earlier and it *feels* better........but I don't need the early engine braking when I stop at a redlight. I drive slowly anyway so normal D is just fine most of the time :D

Of course, I never recommend D when driving enthusiastically. It's too dimwitted and can't make up its mind.

Sabado Gigante
01-29-2007, 10:23 PM
I sat in the back of the 2007 at the DC Auto Show. My brother-in-law is thinking abot trading in the Land Rover. Stadium style setaing for sure, but I am 6'1" and did not notice a headroom problem.

AzNMpower32
01-30-2007, 03:00 PM
I sat in the back of the 2007 at the DC Auto Show. My brother-in-law is thinking abot trading in the Land Rover. Stadium style setaing for sure, but I am 6'1" and did not notice a headroom problem.
The backseat is definately higher on the 2007. I verified this at the DC auto show on Sunday..........BMW gets too lazy to fully update its brochures and website. Heck it even looks higher.

I love the angel eyes shot............took this one at the auto show. :bigpimp:

Pocket
02-06-2007, 04:54 AM

Anyone know for sure?
I picked up an '07 loaner yesterday while the '06 is in the shop for repairs.

Definately VERY laggy at take off, and I happen to find it extremely annoying compared to driving the '06. BMW didn't get the shift parameters correct on this new transmission. On take off it's in 1st gear, but shifts way too early to 2nd. The shift is also drawn out too long, making the launch very laggy until the rpm's start to rise while in 2nd. The 5 speed shifts much faster than the new 6 speed. Even in sport mode it's still a bit laggy, but not as much. The only way to completely get rid of the lag is to manually shift, then it's a much smoother and better take-off. Or the other, less environmentally friendly way, is to give it 3/4 throttle or more from the stoplight.

There's more power than the '06, too bad BMW didn't quite adjust the shifts just right. I'd rather stick with the '06 just for the transmission. Sorry.

My 2 cents.
:confused:

dug01
02-06-2007, 05:41 AM
I picked up an '07 loaner yesterday while the '06 is in the shop for repairs.

Definately VERY laggy at take off, and I happen to find it extremely annoying compared to driving the '06. BMW didn't get the shift parameters correct on this new transmission. On take off it's in 1st gear, but shifts way too early to 2nd. The shift is also drawn out too long, making the launch very laggy until the rpm's start to rise while in 2nd. The 5 speed shifts much faster than the new 6 speed. Even in sport mode it's still a bit laggy, but not as much. The only way to completely get rid of the lag is to manually shift, then it's a much smoother and better take-off. Or the other, less environmentally friendly way, is to give it 3/4 throttle or more from the stoplight.

There's more power than the '06, too bad BMW didn't quite adjust the shifts just right. I'd rather stick with the '06 just for the transmission. Sorry.

My 2 cents.
:confused:

It gets better as you pile up some miles--I have 4000 miles and it really launches strong and the shift to second is not as soon as it was new. At about 800-1000 miles it starts to improve--but I would like the downshifts to be quicker.

stangmatt66
02-06-2007, 09:35 AM
It gets better as you pile up some miles--I have 4000 miles and it really launches strong and the shift to second is not as soon as it was new. At about 800-1000 miles it starts to improve--but I would like the downshifts to be quicker.

Are BMW's transmissions adaptive and learn your driving habits?

cbj
02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Accourding to BMW it is adaptive nothing about how adaptive it is.