PDA

View Full Version : Test The Assist

WHITEX
01-25-2007, 04:58 PM
I have not tested my BMW ASSIST unit for about 5 months. Today was the day. Pushed the non-emergency button and the Nav screen replied BMW ASSIST inactive. Called BMW and it has to go in for service. SO, Please test your Assist system monthly. Know that it is working are you are familiar with the operation. Thanks, Frank

chuck92103
01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I have not tested my BMW ASSIST unit for about 5 months. Today was the day. Pushed the non-emergency button and the Nav screen replied BMW ASSIST inactive. Called BMW and it has to go in for service. SO, Please test your Assist system monthly. Know that it is working are you are familiar with the operation. Thanks, Frank

A lot of them don't or never worked which is one reason why I never renewed. Poorly executed system IMO.

The system is so dumb it won't even test itself or display a fault light.

vern
01-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Had the same problem on my 530i. Its probably your TCU Unit. They installed 4 or 5 in mine before they got it right in about a 9 month period. They gave me 6 months free time.
Good luck
cheers
vern

vern
01-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Had the same problem on my 530i. Its probably your TCU Unit. They installed 4 or 5 in mine before they got it right in about a 9 month period. They gave me 6 months free time. Thats why you should test it every so often
Good luck
cheers
vern

Icealicy
01-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Pushed the non-emergency button? Wait, there is a non emergency button? I drive a 2007 BMW X3.

kjboyd
01-25-2007, 06:35 PM
you have to activate the the assist feature within so many days by calling the first time and confirming your name and information. otherwise, it get's cancelled.
at least it was that way on the 06s

WHITEX
01-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Mine was active & functioning. I must be a big dreamer. I thought there was one thing in the world that might work when it's needed. Know what else?....the stupid little door that covers the sos switch fell off.

AzNMpower32
01-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Well, we did push the SOS button and activate the BMW Assist account back when we still had it. We didn't renew after the one year period, so eh, whats the point?

X3_2007
01-26-2007, 09:26 AM
There is a TSB on non-functioning BMW Assist for pre-2007 models (all series).

WHITEX
01-26-2007, 12:29 PM
We didn't renew after the one year period, so eh, whats the point?

If it's needed for an emergency it's worth the price of admission. I bought mine for emergencies.

vern
01-26-2007, 02:07 PM
If it's needed for an emergency it's worth the price of admission. I bought mine for emergencies.

+1
cheers
vern

chuck92103
01-26-2007, 02:44 PM

Sorry but you would be a fool to rely on Assist. BMW has known for sometime that there are a lot of faulty modules. Yet they did not do a major recall effort. So there are thousands of folks who are relying on a technology that is broken on their cars.

I sent BMW a letter regarding this issue. I was ignored was some crappy response.

Taking care of broken TCU's when folks come in for oil changes is rediculous. And even more so when they only replace the unit if the customer happens to notice that Assist is broken.

Read the fine print. BMW guarantess nothing with regard to Assist.

gojira-san
01-26-2007, 03:07 PM
A lot of them don't or never worked which is one reason why I never renewed. Poorly executed system IMO.

The system is so dumb it won't even test itself or display a fault light.

True enough. The accounting side is pretty dumb too. I got the first two years free (the car didn't have Assist on delivery, then it failed once), and got a ton of letters about renewing. Finally I figured OK, I will renew. Call up BMW said I will renew, OK no problem... they never renewed it and it got shut off. I think I will probably just pull the module and put a Bluetooth module in. That's worth more to me.

WHITEX
01-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Sorry but you would be a fool to rely on Assist.
Read the fine print. BMW guarantess nothing with regard to Assist.

CHUCK...you are correct. SO>>>The purpose of this thread is to inform Assist owners that the unit is not dependable if needed. Everything has fine print...nothing works when we need it. I know that. NO GUARANTEES IN LIFE OR CARS. But it will get repaired and kept in operable condition. And I will renew the service. Assist unit is paid for...$199 a year does't break the bank.