PDA

View Full Version : Radio removal question, sorry.

luvmybeemerbike
01-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Hello all:
My name is Yarvis Torres, go by the name of Luvmybeemerbike here. As you can guess by the screen name, I own a 2001 BMW R1200c Phoenix. If you aren't aware, it was the bike that James Bond used in the film, Tomorrow Never Dies. My bike happens to be the 2 tone version of that bike in a beautiful mandarin and graphite color scheme. In any event, this is my very first post here on this forum so please, be gentle. I have seen one or two posts about radios. more importantly Sirius sat. radios. I happen to own a Sirius Sportster replay radio. I was using this radio in my 2005 X3 with NO problems up until a few months ago then all of a sudden, I can't get good clean reception in my X3. I have this same exact unit playing in my work car, a 2000 Mitsubishi with no problems. I also use this unit in my home with an optional boombox, again, no problems. A co worker showed up today with a device made for Sirius radios that helps to eliminate static and noise in cars using the modulator. I can atest that in his car, a 2006 Expedition, the unit worked as advertised. (I helped him install it) In any event, I need to get to the back of the OEM BMW head unit so I can remove the antenna lead and install this black box, which will install into the OEM radio antenna lead. The factory radio antenna will then plug into the black box. Main question is, how do I get to the back of the OEM radio, any special tools needed? Has anyone else done this type of install that I am contemplating? Any and all help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is a repest question. I'm glad I found the site, it looks to be very promising here!

luvmybeemerbike
01-26-2007, 02:54 AM
Any help please?

drumandance
01-26-2007, 11:45 PM
hey i work in the car installation bay at best buy and install those all the time. you will need a forward and reverse bmw antenna adapter because the bmw plugs are different than the ones on the modulator. You can pick those us at any best buy or car audio place, they are like 12 bucks a piece. to get the radio off, i believe you just gently pull the a/c vents above the radio out and there should be two screws that you have to undo and the radio should pop out after that. Good luck.

jdeday
01-27-2007, 05:15 AM
Welcome Yarvis,

Review this link to help you with the radio removal: http://www.x3world.com/articles/x3/stereo/9575-installing-aux-input-bmw-x3.html

I think the sportster will support an AUX connection, have you thought about installing this type of connector?

Jeff

luvmybeemerbike
01-27-2007, 02:51 PM
hey i work in the car installation bay at best buy and install those all the time. you will need a forward and reverse bmw antenna adapter because the bmw plugs are different than the ones on the modulator. You can pick those us at any best buy or car audio place, they are like 12 bucks a piece. to get the radio off, i believe you just gently pull the a/c vents above the radio out and there should be two screws that you have to undo and the radio should pop out after that. Good luck.

Drum:
Are these adapters actually called a forward and reverse adapter? I plan to go into CC or BB tomorrow to see if they have them. How many of them am I going to need? Thank you so very much for your response.

luvmybeemerbike
01-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Welcome Yarvis,

Review this link to help you with the radio removal: http://www.x3world.com/articles/x3/stereo/9575-installing-aux-input-bmw-x3.html

I think the sportster will support an AUX connection, have you thought about installing this type of connector?

Jeff

Jeff:
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I didn't think of doing the type of install you mentioned because quite frankly I'm trying to do the least amount of money spending as possible. The item I bought cost me $19 and now I need to spend another $12 or so bucks. (I'm not complaining, just trying to keep my costs down and to be able to keep using my Sportster from each car and the house with as much ease as possible.)

drumandance
01-27-2007, 09:15 PM
yes they are called forward and reverse bmw anntena adapters they are 12 bucks each at bby

luvmybeemerbike
01-28-2007, 04:20 AM
yes they are called forward and reverse bmw anntena adapters they are 12 bucks each at bby

Thanks again Drum.

luvmybeemerbike
01-28-2007, 01:48 PM

drum:
Just wanted to let you know the deed is done. I didn't have such an easy time finding the item though. I went into BB first and the girl behind the counter in the mobile electronics dept. looked at me as if I had two heads. She had to call one of the installers from the bay who promptly told me they didn't have what I needed nor was he very friendly. I next went to Circuit City, the kid there knew what it was that I needed, but had none in stock. I was starting to get a bit annoyed as I can't believe two of the areas biggest electronics chains couldn't help me out. The kid in CC was at least a bit more friendlier and knew what I was looking for and proceeds to tell me where he thought I was guaranteed to find them, another rival electronics place called 6 Avenue Electronics. I try to avoid this place because I had some problems with them in the past with a VERY SLOPPY and half assed "deck and two" they did for me several years ago. I go in and the same thing, the salesman looks a bit perplexed, then tells me he knows what it is I need and gives me a price of $40!!!!! I'm like, WTF? He tells me that with bimmers you never know what part it is you are going to need until you open her up. I'm so damn pissed at this point and just about ready to start scolding him when I get this other guy who I actually know from another store and he starts telling me in spanish that the kid just doesn't know. He asked me a few questions and tells me I need the Metraworks European antenna adapter kit, part number 40-EU30. Not $12, but $16.99. I'm so happy to get the damn thing I don't even try to haggle him down to $13, I just want to leave the damn place.
I get home and start opening things up, (thanks to all who sent the links) it was a piece of cake. The Sportster sounds much better with this FM direct adapter. It's made by Directed electronics and the part number is FMDA25. I think this is a great way to get Sat radio in the bimmer, especially if you own more than one car and want to listen at home as well.

drumandance
01-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Damn sorry about the hassle man but im glad you finally got it done.

luvmybeemerbike
01-29-2007, 12:48 AM
You're right, a bit of a hassle, but now done. Next time, i'll just go into my buddy's stereo store and let him help me out. Live and learn. Thanks again!