PDA

View Full Version : X3 TO GET 300 Horsepower 335 twin turbo Engine!

z51vette
01-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Anybody hear or can confirm the rumor about X3 getting a mid year engine update. I hear the new N54 twin turbo 335 engine is going in the X3 and the X5. I think that would be absolutely fantastic for the X3. Not so much the horsepower increase but the torque increase. The new engine's torque is 300 ft/lb from 1400-5000 rpm compared to just 225 ft/lb peak at 2750 rpm in the current version. This is exactly what the 4,000+ pound X3 needs. Its the low end grunt that its missing.

I know BMWNA is monitoring this forum. So comon guys give it up.

doubledeclutch
01-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Sorry. This rumor is false. The X3 was just refreshed with new engines and the X5 is brand new.

Bora20
01-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Who cares, give me the 3.0sd engine:D

z51vette
01-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Sorry. This rumor is false. The X3 was just refreshed with new engines and the X5 is brand new.

Well, The X5 is confirmed to get the turbo engine. This is not a rumor. Same as with the 5 series and the 3 series sedan. The X3 is being talked about by people in the know.

How can you say with this is false with such certainty? Do you work for BMW?

z51vette
01-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Who cares, give me the 3.0sd engine:D

No argument here. I've been waiting for the diesels forever. And I'm sure that's in the pipeline down the road. Probably will see it in 08 here. But still, for the ultimate in drivability/economy and sport performance the N54 engine can not be beaten in the X3. It may even be better than a V8 in the X3 that may throw the balance off. I would love to see this happen. And if BMW has a head on it's shoulders they will do it. This will completely obliterate any competition that it may otherwise have. It would just be so above and beyond. Not that it isn't already :)

cbj
01-26-2007, 08:30 AM
The turbo would be so sweet but even more I don't understand why it didn't come standard in the new X5. Its a brand new car and then you can't get the brand new engine. Maybe they are affraid it will steal to much of the V8 X5 sales.

stangmatt66
01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure a turbo petrol engine would be a good idea in a nearly 3 ton SAV. Any amount of turbo lag would make that thing feel more than sluggish off the line. Superchargers work much better in SUVs, just ask Land Rover.

adc
01-26-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure a turbo petrol engine would be a good idea in a nearly 3 ton SAV. Any amount of turbo lag would make that thing feel more than sluggish off the line. Superchargers work much better in SUVs, just ask Land Rover.

I can assure you, it would work like a charm. Test drive the 335 and you'll see there is no lag to speak off.

I mean after all, how much more laggy can it be than the X3 2.0 petrol sold in various other markets? :dunno:

cbj
01-26-2007, 11:41 AM
And the turbo is a double turbo as I remember so avoid any turbo lag.

dfrith
01-26-2007, 12:30 PM

From BMW Technical Info Weight of an X3 is not even close to 3 tons
Weight
Unladen 4012 (4067) lbs
Weight distribution, front/rear - Manual transmission 50.8/49.2 %
Weight distribution, front/rear - Automatic transmission 50.9/49.1 %

sayemthree
01-26-2007, 12:58 PM
I WISH!!!!! but I have only hear the new X5, the 2008 5 series and the 3 sedan will get it. If they did I would definetly get one. :thumbup:

another option - the could keep the 3.0si and make a 3.0tt M type version (like the old X5 4.8is) :thumbup: :thumbup:

z51vette
01-26-2007, 10:12 PM

That's why we even have a BMW petrol turbo now. Because it is completely absent of turbo lag. I remember a top BMW executive a couple of years ago saying BMW would never make a forced induction petrol motor and mocking Mercedes for their 55 supercharged engine. The only reason he was saying that was because of lag. Well guess what, BMW figured out a way to eliminate turbo lag that's why we have the N54 now.

What are you saying here "more sluggish off the line" more sluggish than what? After all this is a 3 liter turbo here not 2.0 or 2.5. So lag or no lag it is never making less power at any given time than the 3 liter one we have in there now.

3 ton? ok even with cargo it is not even approaching. And what is weight have to do with turbo lag anyhow.

z51vette
01-26-2007, 10:13 PM
I WISH!!!!! but I have only hear the new X5, the 2008 5 series and the 3 sedan will get it. If they did I would definetly get one. :thumbup:

another option - the could keep the 3.0si and make a 3.0tt M type version (like the old X5 4.8is) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Maybe they can call it 3.5is.

bargamon
01-27-2007, 02:32 PM
BMW best bec areful with its long term plan.

Its selling a lot of cars off lease. Little maintenance since its being covered by plan means cars are not as well cared for in 3 years. Who changes oil at 15k intervals? This is nuts for long term owners!

Sales in Used car market is very strong for BMW hence the strong residuals.

If they continue this way the long term costs of ownership will rise and lower resale value, thus lease rates will increase and they will be in Audiland for resale purpose!

You really want a twin turbo used vehicle? Or one out of warranty?

Lets get real folks, 260hp is plenty to move this SAV very nice. Diesel power is even better!

US market is filled with "Hemi lusting horsepower whores" and rather than take any savings in MPG and reduce our dependence on foreign oil we prefer to continue our o-60 blood thurst! Oil freakin matters in the global economy and its leverage used against us!

Im a capitalist pig as much as anyone, but since we piss away so much money on petro in our cars it might make sense to tax it even further until we are not so foolish with our waste!

Just cuz the companies offer these silly things is no reason to continue to be manipulated into buying them.

I can just see the posts in a few years about 8k repairs to replace the turbos and boo hooing about how much it costs to fix!

My 530i goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds and gets over 30pmg on the highway keeping it about 10mph over the speed limit. Im not hugging trees mind you, but I ain't pissing it away either.

Keep torquing up the horsepower folks and send your kids to fight for the American right to horsepower! Good job!

AzNMpower32
01-27-2007, 02:36 PM
If it turns out to be true, I wouldn't be jumping for joy. I think the current 260hp is enough, heck even the M54 engine with 225hp was enough. BMW needs to bring over the diesel engines first before worrying about changing model designations for the 3rd time in 4 years. Honestly, BMW comes out with a great N52 engine and they really ought to keep using it before going to the N54 later on. If they put the N54 in the next redesigned X3, that's fine. But they already put a great engine in the facelift......let's keep it that way for awhile. There's no need for 300hp.

adc
01-27-2007, 03:34 PM

FYI, the diesels are also twin-turbo.

And my 98 A4 1.8T (chipped!) did not have ONE single hiccup during its 7 years with me.

So bring on the X3 twin turbo - the chassis just begs for a bigger dose of HP...

MJS
01-27-2007, 04:24 PM
The current 260 HP feels more than adequate to me. Granted I've only done a few test drives, and am currently waiting for my 2007 X3 to arrive. Hopefully by the end of the coming week.

Good points Bargamon.

nigel1228
01-27-2007, 05:31 PM
No one has mentioned gas milage for the diesel - I will buy the X3 once it has a diesel engine and/or decent (meaning 30 plus) MPG!

z51vette
01-27-2007, 06:33 PM
BMW best bec areful with its long term plan.

Its selling a lot of cars off lease. Little maintenance since its being covered by plan means cars are not as well cared for in 3 years. Who changes oil at 15k intervals? This is nuts for long term owners!

Sales in Used car market is very strong for BMW hence the strong residuals.

If they continue this way the long term costs of ownership will rise and lower resale value, thus lease rates will increase and they will be in Audiland for resale purpose!

Lets get real folks, 260hp is plenty to move this SAV very nice. Diesel power is even better!

US market is filled with "Hemi lusting horsepower whores" and rather than take any savings in MPG and reduce our dependence on foreign oil we prefer to continue our o-60 blood thurst! Oil freakin matters in the global economy and its leverage used against us!

Im a capitalist pig as much as anyone, but since we piss away so much money on petro in our cars it might make sense to tax it even further until we are not so foolish with our waste!

Just cuz the companies offer these silly things is no reason to continue to be manipulated into buying them.

I can just see the posts in a few years about 8k repairs to replace the turbos and boo hooing about how much it costs to fix!

My 530i goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds and gets over 30pmg on the highway keeping it about 10mph over the speed limit. Im not hugging trees mind you, but I ain't pissing it away either.

Keep torquing up the horsepower folks and send your kids to fight for the American right to horsepower! Good job!

I beg to differ. The above opinion shows your lack of knowledge about the N54 engine. First of all the fuel economy is identical to the naturally aspirated N52. Heck it's within two percent of even the 328's 230HP engine. And this is EPA specs. I bet in real world driving it will be even more economical than the 328 because of the incredible torque characteristic. It is producing 300 ft/lbs from just 1400 rpm. I don't know of a naturally aspirated V8 that can match that. That means you can spend a lot more time in 5th and 6th.

Second, durability wise it will be more durable than N52 if anything. The new engine has iron cylinder liners and twin turbo system developed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. The utmost experts of turbocharged reliability. Heck what are the most reliable and durable and economical engines in the world? Turbocharged I6s in Tractor trailers. Then you got to remember that the N54 engine is at least a 400-500hp engine potentially, but it is tuned down for durability to produce only 300. The turbos along with direct injection only net a 45HP increase. This far supersedes the potential. I bet that with just slight reprogramming this engine is good for 375HP. But BMW wisely put a limit on it so it wouldn't kill their V8s.

Then you got to think about just one last thing, this engine will need to rev a lot lower to produce the same power so your durability argument goes completely to waste.

Sorry, but I can't agree with you here.

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-27-2007, 06:36 PM
My turbo diesel truck isn't a slug at all. :)

z51vette
01-27-2007, 06:46 PM
If it turns out to be true, I wouldn't be jumping for joy. I think the current 260hp is enough, heck even the M54 engine with 225hp was enough. BMW needs to bring over the diesel engines first before worrying about changing model designations for the 3rd time in 4 years. Honestly, BMW comes out with a great N52 engine and they really ought to keep using it before going to the N54 later on. If they put the N54 in the next redesigned X3, that's fine. But they already put a great engine in the facelift......let's keep it that way for awhile. There's no need for 300hp.

Why keep it if you have something even better. Why slow down progress. And finally who said there is no need for 300hp. I see perfect need for it, but even more I have a need for 300 lb/ft of torque at 1400 RPM.

I applaud BMW for skipping convention and heritage and just making the best product. Like Adrian Van Hooydonk said. BMW is a living company.

AzNMpower32
01-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Why keep it if you have something even better. Why slow down progress. And finally who said there is no need for 300hp. I see perfect need for it, but even more I have a need for 300 lb/ft of torque at 1400 RPM.

I applaud BMW for skipping convention and heritage and just making the best product. Like Adrian Van Hooydonk said. BMW is a living company.
I'd rather see them keep the 3.0si and the N52 engine, and add a V8 variant. Maybe shoehorn the previous X5 4.4i 315hp under the hood somehow ;). IMO we need more variants of the X3 in the US...........Canada gets a 215 3.0i version that I wish we had.

I for one think that BMW ought to stick to its long time traditions. If BMW continues to break them, I will start looking elsewhere.

z51vette
01-27-2007, 08:54 PM
I'd rather see them keep the 3.0si and the N52 engine, and add a V8 variant. Maybe shoehorn the previous X5 4.4i 315hp under the hood somehow ;). IMO we need more variants of the X3 in the US...........Canada gets a 215 3.0i version that I wish we had.

I for one think that BMW ought to stick to its long time traditions. If BMW continues to break them, I will start looking elsewhere.

Why would you want the 215 Canadian version? In my opinion in cheapens it. Makes it more of an econobox. I say take it upmarket instead of down-market. And that is what will probably happen.

Like I said, I hear we will get the turbo but I never said it will replace the N52. N54 will probably be an additional variant. If BMW is listening right now?, Call it 3.5is That will be a perfect name for a new version.

Let me ask you this. What's the reason you want a V8 in the x3 if the n54 gives better performance, better mileage and weighs 150lb+ less? Why would you want more weight upfront to throw the already perfect balance off. I can agree with you on one reason only, for a V8. The BMW V8 sound. :)

AzNMpower32
01-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Why would you want the 215 Canadian version? In my opinion in cheapens it. Makes it more of an econobox. I say take it upmarket instead of down-market. And that is what will probably happen.

Like I said, I hear we will get the turbo but I never said it will replace the N52. N54 will probably be an additional variant. If BMW is listening right now?, Call it 3.5is That will be a perfect name for a new version.

Let me ask you this. What's the reason you want a V8 in the x3 if the n54 gives better performance, better mileage and weighs 150lb+ less? Why would you want more weight upfront to throw the already perfect balance off. I can agree with you on one reason only, for a V8. The BMW V8 sound. :)
I don't think the engine power alone is what makes a luxury car a luxury car. In Europe, nobody buys a 335i........just like almost nobody gets a X3 3.0si. I believe the X3 2.5i is the best selling version worldwide. I mean, if I only cared about engine power, I'd probably go buy an Infinti FX45. More horses, less money, fancier interior.

Its wierd how we couldn't agree less on stuff like this. I've always preferred the BMW Inline-6 sound, best example is the S54 engine in the M3. To each his own I guess :angel:

Richard in NC
01-28-2007, 08:58 AM
The X3 doesn't NEED the 300 hp motor, heck I'm OK with the 225hp in my '06. However, the competition keeps progressing so BMW needs to respond in kind. If BMW still had the 225hp motor as the top choice, a lot of 2007 SUVs would be ahead of it.

I'm sure the 335 models were to counter the IS and other 300hp entry lux cars. Even the '07 Camry has more hp than the '06 330i. The end result is a great engine that could benefit many BMWs.

sayemthree
01-28-2007, 12:30 PM
The X3 doesn't NEED the 300 hp motor, heck I'm OK with the 225hp in my '06. However, the competition keeps progressing so BMW needs to respond in kind. If BMW still had the 225hp motor as the top choice, a lot of 2007 SUVs would be ahead of it.

speak for yourself - I would LOVE an X3 with 300 hp. the TT inline six is sweet. I think a V8 would make it too noseheavy. they should keep the 3.0si and make a M-type X3 with the 300 hp tt. sort of like the older 4.8is x5. CHoices are best -:thumbup:

while they are making choices they might as well bring over the 3.0d for you oil burner fans.

White05X3
02-02-2007, 03:32 PM
I'd love to learn the source of this information...I have heard abundant rumors both ways I sincerely hope it is true!

sayemthree
02-02-2007, 04:26 PM
there is no source- its purely rumor. :dunno:

mateo
02-23-2007, 08:37 AM
A Twin-Turbo-X3 w/an "M-Package" would be so awesome. I would much rather see a turbo I6 than any v8 option.

-Mateo

Richard in NC
02-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Yes, an MX3 (yucky name) or XM3 with 300hp would show the Saturn Redline and new CX-7 how to do a sporty SUV. There's definately a market if they built it, but what premium over the current X3 would one pay?

Brent P
02-23-2007, 04:50 PM

I agree :bigpimp:

JephryB
02-27-2007, 07:14 PM
If the X3 came with the 335i's motor I'd buy it tomorrow, without question.

If you feel that the existing 260hp engine is sufficent, you've likely not had the opportunity to spend time behind the wheel of a car or suv of significantly more power :) The 335i now has tunes available which put close to 330hp to the rear wheels- an X3 with 60hp more on tap isn't attractive?

The one item the X3 is roundly panned for in the US is the virtual completely lack of powertrain options. An M edition or even a spiced up version based on the 335i engine would sell well- you need only look at the other manufactures where such options are available.

I can accomidate a subdued interior; but a bland powertrain isn't very attractive at all, especially at this price point.

atmgr
02-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I would not replace my 225hp '06 X3 3.0i with a 300hp "3.5si" because the current engine is already adequate for 99% of daily driving. Having own the '06 X3 for a year, I haven't found a real situation that I screamed for more power. Higher torque may or may not make a difference on fuel economy, depending on driving style, etc.

It's probably a good thing for enthusiasts (and, marketing), if BMW brings in a 300hp X3. But, majority of the market is probably satisfied with the current version, i.e.: not much incremental sales with 300hp version. Perhaps bring in 3.0d back to US market will make more sense.

OhioX3
02-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Well, they probably didn't design it to handle a v-8 in the engine bay, is a v-8 available elsewhere in the world? The 3.5 turbo is probably all you'll get until the next chassis redesign. My wife just got an '07 and it's pretty darn peppy. If I wanted to race it at club events, well, I wouldn't. I'd race a car, not an SUV/SAV. If you want sport power (300+), you might as well also get sport driving dynamics and get a car.

Richard in NC
03-01-2007, 03:24 PM
If you want sport power (300+), you might as well also get sport driving dynamics and get a car.

I agree but wouldn't it be cool to take an X3 to the track and out run supposed sports cars? They'd have quite a look of suprise. There've been 225hp X3s on track outrunning cars on track, so a 300hp model would be quite fun.

Paul Christian
03-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I think the X3 should get more power and becouse of it size and all..

sayemthree
03-04-2007, 08:40 PM
If the X3 came with the 335i's motor I'd buy it tomorrow, without question..

X2.

we would definitly trade our S4 Avant 6MT for a X3/335i. but as it is now we're not ready to downgrade in terms of power and acceleration.
:thumbup: