PDA

View Full Version : X3 Tire Life

OCNYBMW
01-26-2007, 06:57 AM
I have the Bridgestone Turanza's and I have about 33,000 miles. I am noticing that my back 2 tires are close to the replacement wear marks. I am leasing this car, so I am not sure if they are going to last another 12,000 miles (I have a 45,000 mile lease). What is your experience with leasing and the X3 tire life?

Thanks!

casex5
01-26-2007, 01:21 PM
It is probably a little late, but you could swap the front and rear tires to get a little bit more out of them.

Sonoman707
01-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Coming up on 42,000 miles on the original 17" Pirelli Scorpions.

Will definitely hit 45,000 - probably more - before the wear bars. Outside shoulders of the fronts show the most wear.

vrrooom
01-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Scorpion STR
(All Sizes) Not Valid For Eurometric and LT Sizes

Interesting warentee on the Pirelli's , this information is on the Pirelli web site. I also have Scorpions on my '04 X3 with 38,000 miles and slightly more than 1/2 the tread left.

exthree
01-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Just installed the third set of Turanza's at 58,000 miles.

AzNMpower32
01-26-2007, 06:29 PM
The Turanzas suck, and are the worst of the three possible OEM tires you could have gotten. Try and rotate them and see if you can't get any more mileage before your lease is up.

judybe83
01-26-2007, 08:19 PM
The Turanzas suck, and are the worst of the three possible OEM tires you could have gotten. Try and rotate them and see if you can't get any more mileage before your lease is up.

:mad: ours had some tread left @35000 miles but we dumped them because of the rough noisy ride

Brent P
01-27-2007, 05:44 AM
We have the Bridgestone Turanza's and they are pathetic. Although we only have about 14,000 miles on them, I estimate the tread is about half gone, but the biggest beef I have is how noisy they have become in such a short period of time. They are so loud and annoying that I'm tempted to replace them now. How could BMW have spec'd such a piece of crap tire on the X3???? :mad:

OCNYBMW
01-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your amounts. I also think that the Bridgestone's are not that great also. I may try to rotate them, but I do not like the more worn tires in the front, but I will see. I think that front still has about 10,000 or so left.

I think that the back ones may only have 5000-7500 left.

I am also seriously considering keeping the X3 after the lease. It really is one of the best vehicles that I ever owned and I have owned many BMWs and Japanese vehicles.

chuck92103
01-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Agree with everyone. Turanza no good.

Potenza are much better.

anniec61
02-07-2007, 04:16 PM
We have the Bridgestone Turanza's and they are pathetic. Although we only have about 14,000 miles on them, I estimate the tread is about half gone, but the biggest beef I have is how noisy they have become in such a short period of time. They are so loud and annoying that I'm tempted to replace them now. How could BMW have spec'd such a piece of crap tire on the X3???? :mad:

You might as well get rid of them now. I got 27,085 miles on my set but the last couple thousand miles were just agony. I dreaded driving my X3. A friend noticed the wear bars on the rear so I decided to get rid of all 4 tires. The Tire Rack suggested Continentals but based on previous experience with "Continentals" on my 325i I decided against them.

I finally chose Yokohoma YK520's sold through Discount Tire. I also checked on the internet on another BMW forum and someone confirmed he was pleased with his purchase of these Yokohoma's. I don't know what the overall life of the tires will be but so far what a noticeable difference. My husband and I are so far pleased with the YK520's. The vehicle is actually pleasant to ride in. Good Luck!

pschnack
02-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I have had the same experience - terrible tire noise and high tire wear. I discussed this again and again with my BMW service advisor, who, this week told me, that Bridgestone was finally caving in and offering free replacements for these tires if you have under 20,000 miles on them.

I happen to have 23,000 miles on mine, but I have several times written to BMW North America and every time gotten the stereotype routine letter that they are making a note of it and taking it into consideration for the future.

I am still trying to go for replacements, even if it is going to cost me an attorney.

Peter

OCNYBMW
02-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I have had the same experience - terrible tire noise and high tire wear. I discussed this again and again with my BMW service advisor, who, this week told me, that Bridgestone was finally caving in and offering free replacements for these tires if you have under 20,000 miles on them.

I happen to have 23,000 miles on mine, but I have several times written to BMW North America and every time gotten the stereotype routine letter that they are making a note of it and taking it into consideration for the future.

I am still trying to go for replacements, even if it is going to cost me an attorney.

Peter

Sorry to hear about your tires. On the X3, the Bridgestone's are Turanzas EL42, but they are not run flats. But they are very crappy. I just replaced my set at 34,000. I think that I went a little too long with mine.

On a separate note, I installed the Pirelli PZeros, and I am extremely happy with them. I driven about 500 miles on them, and the have a better grip than the Turanzas. I am curious to how they work in the snow. For $79/tire, I would recommend them to all X3 owners, especially for those who driven a little fast :)

BMWNA
02-13-2007, 12:55 PM

Peter

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

crazybelgian
02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Just called my service advisor and they said that bridgestone will cover 50% of the cost if you have over 10,000 miles. You end up with the newer model bridgestones though.
Basically, installed it would be around $ 510 at the dealer for 4 new bridgestones...
Not sure what I am going to do.

Can BMW of North America confirm what my dealership says?
Thanks in advance!

jcarlilesiu
02-13-2007, 01:21 PM
I have a 2004 X3 with 17,880 miles on it. If it is true that they are offering replacements on the bridgestones, how do I go about getting them? Can somebody (or the BMWNA person) let me know what appropriate steps to take. Thanks!

OCNYBMW
02-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Duplicate Post

OCNYBMW
02-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Just called my service advisor and they said that bridgestone will cover 50% of the cost if you have over 10,000 miles. You end up with the newer model bridgestones though.
Basically, installed it would be around $ 510 at the dealer for 4 new bridgestones...

Thanks in advance!

Is there an upper limit of miles? I just installed new Pirelli's for only $79/tire. They are MUCH better than the Bridgestones. For $510, I do not think that is a good deal, and you will end up with Bridgestone's again.

judybe83
02-13-2007, 07:39 PM

Thanks in advance!

put a couple hundred with your 510 and you can get a MUCH better tire

ab