PDA

View Full Version : make cut in trailer hitch???

casex5
01-26-2007, 10:13 AM
I just picked up a trailer hitch after reading up on how to install it on x3world. It seemed pretty easy to do, but the instructions that came with my hitch tell you to cut an angle off the hitch and to be careful not to cut into the weld... I won't be doing this, but has anyone run into this or can I just ignore to cut the piece off the hitch? I compared to the pictures posted, and my hitch indeed has some extra material (and a hole) in an area where the others don't have this configuration. It is on the L-bracket that screws onto the car. The area where the bolts are is the same, but near the weld I have an upper and lower hole (holes are not used) where the posted pictures/hitches only have the upper hole. My instructions tell you to cut off the lower hole and re-paint the cut area... I think this is very strange to do on a factory hitch...

Anybody else run into this? Thanks!

berbutler
01-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I just picked up a trailer hitch after reading up on how to install it on x3world. It seemed pretty easy to do, but the instructions that came with my hitch tell you to cut an angle off the hitch and to be careful not to cut into the weld... I won't be doing this, but has anyone run into this or can I just ignore to cut the piece off the hitch? I compared to the pictures posted, and my hitch indeed has some extra material (and a hole) in an area where the others don't have this configuration. It is on the L-bracket that screws onto the car. The area where the bolts are is the same, but near the weld I have an upper and lower hole (holes are not used) where the posted pictures/hitches only have the upper hole. My instructions tell you to cut off the lower hole and re-paint the cut area... I think this is very strange to do on a factory hitch...

Anybody else run into this? Thanks!

I am very curious as well as I will be installing a hitch as soon as I take delivery next month.

BB

casex5
01-26-2007, 02:10 PM
The dealer just called back and told me that they are running into the same problem as well. Some hitches come with the corner, some without the corner... I think it is sad that if you buy a BMW part, you have to start cutting into it. Dealer said that sometimes the kit fits without cutting the corner off. I'll try it, and hopefully it will fit... Still very strange though.

casex5
01-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Just finishing up the install. I did need to cut the corners off, else the bumper would not fit...
Lessons learned:
- need 18mm socket for bumper removal. install
- buy a torques wrench ($24 at sears), that 71Nm is quite the torque...
- do not forget to remove the torx screws right under the plastic rivet
- when you install the plug near the right side bin, the plug is in a vertical position.
- install hitch, if bumper does not fit, it is realtively easy to cut the corners off, I used a hacksaw.
- Do yourseld a favor and buy a few torx screwdrivers, makes the job a lot easier
- For the cutout, I just measured around the hitch/connector area to see how wide I wanted to cut, then I left about 1/2inch on the bottom and I went up to the crease in the black part.
- You can buy the diffuser (black part) with a cutout as a seperate part, but I think that cutout is way too big. If you mess up, you can always buy that part later, but I think you can easily save the $50-some bucks for the price of the diffuser.
- Inside white grey bumper liner seems to have a cutout line now (06 model).

It took me probably 4-6 hours messing around and making sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. The x3world instructions are GREAT!!!! I hope this helps future installs even more.