PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X3 -- FM reception problem

sharcboy
01-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Greetings to all... I'm a brand-spankin' new 2007 X3 owner (just picked it up today; monaco blue exterior, black|sand interior). In spite of my best efforts at pre-sale inspection, I didn't play with the radio as much as I should have, and on the drive home I noticed an unusual (and highly annoying) "paper crackling" sound emanating from all FM stations on the radio. The sound is volume-dependent (turn up the volume, the sound gets louder). The sound does *not* appear on AM, CD or Aux input playback. I don't believe the sound is a result of being out of reception range--our other cars don't exhibit such FM behaviour, and at one point I was practically next door to one of my local FM station's transmitters.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Other than that, the car rocks... can't wait to take the sucker into the snow & out to the desert for some serious driving adventures.

FYI (should it help analyze my problem), the X3 is configured premium|sport|nav|xenon|premium sound.

Again, thanks in advance for any insights anyone can offer.

Sonoman707
01-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Maybe the FM antenna lead is loose at some point...?

Try listening to FM without the car running or in motion and see if the crackle disappears. If so - I'd bet on a loose connection...

sharcboy
01-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I tried that... sound is still there. :(

Maybe the FM antenna lead is loose at some point...?

Try listening to FM without the car running or in motion and see if the crackle disappears. If so - I'd bet on a loose connection...

OhioX3
02-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Any resolution to this? Other people having same problem?

sharcboy
02-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Took it into the dealer the other day... they were a bit baffled. Not an antenna issue (they tried replacing that), doesn't seem to be a wiring issue. They've ordered up a new radio unit which should arrive in a couple of days. Hopefully, that'll fix the problem.