PDA

View Full Version : Xenon's Headlights

dantheman
01-05-2003, 08:06 AM
I just purchased a set of Xenons from www.BmwXenon.com (www.Jimmy540i.com). They are excellent. They are absolutely wonderful. I think they are the closest thing to the real HID Xenons. My low beam and high beams are now much brighter and light output is now white instead of the yellowish light from the previous standard halogens that it had in there. Highly recommended. My next purchase now will be to replace the Fog Light bulbs with these Xenons.

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Wonderful, now you can blind other drivers with your massive blue light scatter.

Patrick
01-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Wonderful, now you can blind other drivers with your massive blue light scatter.

:confused:

Sounds like you and TD spent some time together this weekend ... :D

Patrick

dantheman
01-05-2003, 08:47 AM
What hurts peoples eyes are improperly aimed headlights. Not the brightness or the intensity of it. The light beam should be aimed towards the road and not towards the drivers eyes. Even standard halogens if aimed poorly will blind anybody. Similar to the 100W halogen lights in the kitchen of most peoples homes. Since its aimed downward or away from peoples eyes, even though they're very bright, the're just fine. Imagine if those were aimed directly at your eyes, it would blind you too. Same principle with regards to headlights in cars.

CD-55
01-05-2003, 08:52 AM

Talk about glare, these things are hideous!!!

OEM HIDís on passenger cars have never bothered me, but every now and then I see some dumb ass with the over bright / aimed too high fake ones!

The problem with the X5 and other SUVís with HIDís is that current styling trends are such that the headlights are mounted higher than they are on passenger cars, so of course they are going to be more annoying!

Patrick
01-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by CD-55
Talk about glare, these things are hideous!!!

I will tell you how hideous after I install low/high and fogs! :D

Patrick

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by dantheman
What hurts peoples eyes are improperly aimed headlights. Not the brightness or the intensity of it. The light beam should be aimed towards the road and not towards the drivers eyes. Even standard halogens if aimed poorly will blind anybody. Similar to the 100W halogen lights in the kitchen of most peoples homes. Since its aimed downward or away from peoples eyes, even though they're very bright, the're just fine. Imagine if those were aimed directly at your eyes, it would blind you too. Same principle with regards to headlights in cars.

And now that you have blue tinted halogens in your car, there is DRAMATICALLY more light scatter. It is a known FACT that blue light scatters more easily than longer frequencies. When you have a LOT of blue light, you NEED to have a much sharper cutoff to avoid blinding other drivers. You have HALOGEN assemblies with bulbs that probably have more blue than proper HIDs. Therefore you have poor cutoff and are screwing with other driver's vision.

If you want xenons, suck it up and retrofit them properly. Don't do it the half-assed, stupid way. It's incredibly discourteous to other drivers. People with fake xenons are almost invariably more irritating on the road than people with real ones.

TD
01-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT
:confused:

Sounds like you and TD spent some time together this weekend ... :D

Patrick

Nope.

But on the subject of lighting, JST just left here after helping me install my Euro ellipsoid headlights (ZKWs).

Patrick
01-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by TD
Nope.

But on the subject of lighting, JST just left here after helping me install my Euro ellipsoid headlights (ZKWs).

Does that help to get rid of the yellow-ish, "melted" look on the inside of the plastic? A friend of mine that just purchased a 318iT (1996) would like to replace whatever is needed to fix that. It does look pretty bad!

Patrick

TD
01-05-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT
Does that help to get rid of the yellow-ish, "melted" look on the inside of the plastic? A friend of mine that just purchased a 318iT (1996) would like to replace whatever is needed to fix that. It does look pretty bad!

Patrick

The US-spec headlights suck in MANY ways. But, yeah, the ellipsoids have glass front lenses that won't yellow.

∑clyde∑
01-05-2003, 09:35 AM

And add to the perception that factory installed HIDs are a problem.

Bill97Z
01-06-2003, 12:41 PM
interesting....a lot of guys that tried bmwxenon lights said they are no brighter than stock, just cool looking.....hmmmmmmmm