PDA

View Full Version : do bmw head units have older lasers?

///M3 Wes
01-05-2003, 11:59 PM
my head unit is fine on regular cds, but on burned cds it skips going over the slightest bumps!!! is mine alone, or do all head units have this issue? is it the laser?

thanks,
Wes

Faheem Daddy
01-06-2003, 12:44 AM
I've noticed the same problem with burned CDs...

Kaz
01-06-2003, 01:09 AM
Mine will skip on any old CD. :dunno:

Clarke
01-06-2003, 03:13 AM
At what speed are you burning them? Railroad tracks and washboard dirt roads don't seem to bother mine at all.I always burn at much lower speeds than my TDK Velo 48/24/20 is rated for at max and get no coasters. A couple more minutes taken burning can pay dividends. Of course it might just be luck or softer springing than your M.

Terry Kennedy
01-06-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by ///M3 Wes
is mine alone, or do all head units have this issue? is it the laser?
Some drives are pickier than others about media type. The major types of media (the dye layer that is "burned", not any funky colors in the plastic itself) are gold, green-gold, and purple.

The newer, cheaper CD-R media often has a much more transparent dye layer, compared to "classic" media like Kodak Infoguard. This media might be harder to read due to less difference between a "0" and a "1".

I'm using Memorex "Black CD-R" media in my 2003 325xiT and it seems to work fine. I've tried it in the dash unit (behind the NAV LCD) as well as in the changer in the back. The normal color (pale green-gold) Memorex media works in the NAV drive (map data) as well. For various reasons, none technical, I didn't try the black media in the NAV map drive.

I didn't pick the Memorex Black CD-R media for any technical reason - it was on sale for something like $14 for 50 and had a protected writing surface.

bten
01-06-2003, 06:53 PM
I have heard that the darker surfaced CD-R's work better in older units or those that don't specifically state that they play CD-R's.

///M3 Wes
01-13-2003, 04:19 PM
now i notice it skipping on non-burned cds as well -- is this something I can have taken care of under warranty?

Alex Baumann
01-14-2003, 04:11 AM
I'm burning music CDs on TDK Reflex Ultra X CD-Rs, and never had problems with skipping. But I have a changer and it's trunk mounted. Maybe they're different.

Artslinger
01-14-2003, 06:52 AM
MY CD's skip all the time driving over railroad tracks and larger bumps, my FM reception also stinks. I have a replacement radio on the way to fix these problems (backordered) knowing my dealer it should be in right around the time I'm ready to trade my car in.

///M3 Wes
01-14-2003, 10:15 AM
cool - under warranty or did you have to buy it outright? i have a seller that wants to sell me the head unit out of his 2002 330ci for $220...

Artslinger
01-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Warranty replacement.