PDA

View Full Version : LOL, my car is great (fun) in the snow

Jetfire
01-06-2003, 06:20 AM
So instead of the predicted 1" flurry, yesterday my area was treated to 3" - 4" of the white stuff. Most of it was well plowed or just gone, but we also got maybe .5" this morning. My neighborhood roads were just slightly snowy (main roads were/are fine) so I decided to head over to my carpool in the M. Can you say "oversteer at 15 mph?" :D All it took was a gentle stab on the gas to make my Pilot Sports lose grip around the corners. I never really had trouble, though, until trying to park on my friend's unplowed and slightly sloped driveway. I had to back up and gaina little momentum before going high enough on the driveway to be safe. Had I shown up earlier, and therefore been required to park in the garage (usually my preference), there may have been a problem.

But I more or less expected that. What surprised me was how ABS kicked it at almost every stop sign and light. I guess it was a combination of the big brakes, summer tires, and light car. My Grand Prix' ABS only activated itself when I made harder stops in the snow, and the Civic's ABS barely comes on unless I want it to. :dunno: Either way it was quite entertaining.

DrBimmer
01-06-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Jetfire
So instead of the predicted 1" flurry, yesterday my area was treated to 3" - 4" of the white stuff. Most of it was well plowed or just gone, but we also got maybe .5" this morning. My neighborhood roads were just slightly snowy (main roads were/are fine) so I decided to head over to my carpool in the M. Can you say "oversteer at 15 mph?" :D All it took was a gentle stab on the gas to make my Pilot Sports lose grip around the corners. I never really had trouble, though, until trying to park on my friend's unplowed and slightly sloped driveway. I had to back up and gaina little momentum before going high enough on the driveway to be safe. Had I shown up earlier, and therefore been required to park in the garage (usually my preference), there may have been a problem.

But I more or less expected that. What surprised me was how ABS kicked it at almost every stop sign and light. I guess it was a combination of the big brakes, summer tires, and light car. My Grand Prix' ABS only activated itself when I made harder stops in the snow, and the Civic's ABS barely comes on unless I want it to. :dunno: Either way it was quite entertaining.

It is amazing what real snow tires will do. I have had the same driveway problem as you before. A few years ago I figured we didn't get enough snow to justify snow tires and I attempted to use my summer tires. I didn't make it 5 feet up the driveway before the car wouldn't go any further.

As soon as I got my winter tires, I noticed an immediate improvement. I have never had any problems in the snow. I think I have seen my DSC go on a handful of times this season, unlike a few years back where I would see it several dozen times daily.

·clyde·
01-06-2003, 06:27 AM
I guess it was a combination of the big brakes, summer tires, and light car.

My bet would be that it's almost entirely the tires. Second biggest factor, heavy braking foot.

Looks like the snow has stopped for now, but looking at the radar on weather.com it looks like it's going to be off and on all day. Can't believe this...first week of January and there have already been three significant snow events in/around DC. Wonder what it's going to be like in February. :yikes:

btw...right now it's looking like there may be a good bit of snow on Saturday between here and Detroit. :eeps:

CD-55
01-06-2003, 06:34 AM
So instead of the predicted 1" flurry, yesterday my area was treated to 3" - 4" of the white stuff. Most of it was well plowed or just gone, but we also got maybe .5" this morning.

Wow weather is funny, I live only 2 miles away and have over 5" at my house!

Jetfire
01-06-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by DrBimmer
It is amazing what real snow tires will do. I have had the same driveway problem as you before. A few years ago I figured we didn't get enough snow to justify snow tires and I attempted to use my summer tires. I didn't make it 5 feet up the driveway before the car wouldn't go any further.

As soon as I got my winter tires, I noticed an immediate improvement. I have never had any problems in the snow. I think I have seen my DSC go on a handful of times this season, unlike a few years back where I would see it several dozen times daily.

Oh, I have no doubt that snow tires would have made the commute a breeze. I just don't want to spend the money on them, and when it does snow around here (used to be a rare occurrance) I either have a very short ride to my carpool or a longer rider in the wife's Civic. If the D.C. area suddenly decides to have heavy winters, then I guess I'll look into some Alpins.

Jetfire
01-06-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Clyde@work
My bet would be that it's almost entirely the tires. Second biggest factor, heavy braking foot.

Looks like the snow has stopped for now, but looking at the radar on weather.com it looks like it's going to be off and on all day. Can't believe this...first week of January and there have already been three significant snow events in/around DC. Wonder what it's going to be like in February. :yikes:

btw...right now it's looking like there may be a good bit of snow on Saturday between here and Detroit. :eeps:

This kind of snow reminds me of the winter weather we had around here when I was a kid. Maybe the weather cycle is about to turn. Snow was more fun when you didn't have to shovel it yourself, though. :p

CD-55
01-06-2003, 06:42 AM
Oh, I have no doubt that snow tires would have made the commute a breeze. I just don't want to spend the money on them, and when it does snow around here (used to be a rare occurrance) I either have a very short ride to my carpool or a longer rider in the wife's Civic. If the D.C. area suddenly decides to have heavy winters, then I guess I'll look into some Alpins.

DC winters are becoming so much colder and snowy; it must be global warming!

CD-55
01-06-2003, 06:52 AM
I was out driving the GF’s Neon in the thick of the snow yesterday. Some poor guy with summer or all-season tires was driving an E-46 323I out of the Lowes parking lot… up a slight hill. By seeing his rear tires spinning really fast… knew this was going to be ugly. He kept his foot in it and started to make the left turn in the intersection but quickly spun a 180. As he is backwards in the middle of an intersection and trying to turn around the other cars weren’t slowing down at bit. He had to fight his way out and was nearly hit by 3-cars.

So, it looks to me like the rule of thumb is, if you spin out… don’t expect people to give you some room to get going.:thumbdwn:

Jetfire
01-06-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by CD-55
I was out driving the GF’s Neon in the thick of the snow yesterday. Some poor guy with summer or all-season tires was driving an E-46 323I out of the Lowes parking lot… up a slight hill. By seeing his rear tires spinning really fast… knew this was going to be ugly. He kept his foot in it and started to make the left turn in the intersection but quickly spun a 180. As he is backwards in the middle of an intersection and trying to turn around the other cars weren’t slowing down at bit. He had to fight his way out and was nearly hit by 3-cars.

So, it looks to me like the rule of thumb is, if you spin out… don’t expect people to give you some room to get going.:thumbdwn:

I saw something similar to a guy in an Infiniti trying to go up a steeper slope. He kept slipping, then rolling back further, then trying to get enough momentum. Poor guy. Meanwhile, the wife and I merrily plowed along in our little Japanese wonder. I gotta get me an SUV. ;)

pdz
01-06-2003, 07:17 AM
...has me absolutely convinced that AWD is great, and that there should always be, regardless, "winter" tires and "summer" tires.

there is a huge difference, even with AWD.

also: even with 8 inches at a time in eastern massachusetts, i still have yet to see how mechanical AWD is superior to the BMW xi system. if there is a superiority, it is not quite a full quantum difference because both cars go anywhere, plowed or not.

have tested it. :D

beauport
01-06-2003, 08:25 AM
I was going to "brave out" DC's winter with the summer tires until we got our first good snowfall before the holidays. Not able to get 50 feet from the house up a slight grade convinced me othewise. I order up some Blizzak LM-22's and the weather clears and the roads are day - until yesterday. What a great handling car with the right tires. I don't have the "am I gonna make it factor" going out now. btw, given enough gas in an empty parking lot still allows for some fun.....

Bob330Ci
01-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Yeah...I've got LM-22's on my 330. Given 3" of wet snow in an empty parking lot I was having some fun. The car would just spin around an axis halfway between the two front wheels as long as I wanted. And then when I wanted the Blizzaks just dug right in and pulled me back to cleared pavement, no problem.

I'm sure the guys looking on from the Taco Bell nearby had some amusement...

B.