PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see the new 7-Series ad?

ChadS
01-06-2003, 07:29 AM
Today there is a full page ad in the WSJ. Basically a side profile of the 7-Series with the headline below: "Thanks to this car, more than 21,000 people are now taking the long way home." At the bottom of the page it has the text: "Its design is breathtaking. Its technology is simply revolutionary-from its innovative Valvetronic V-8 engine for dramatically more power and efficiency to a suspension that virtually eliminates body-roll. With over 21,000 sold in 2002, the BMW 7-Series is the most popular 7-Series ever. Come see why the 7-Series is the choice of driving enthusiasts by taking a test drive at your local BMW center.

I am holding back my opinion, but I just thought I would throw some gas into the ongoing E65 debate. http://www.howardforums.com/images/smilies/flame.gif

PhilH
01-06-2003, 07:35 AM
They might as well hype the record sales while they can. For some reason, I doubt they'll top it in 2003.

However, people are getting used to it. The Executive Director in my firm, who loved the E38 and was excited about maybe buying the E65 before he saw it, has finally said that it doesn't look "that bad" in silver. He always talks to me about how he wishes it was better looking so that he could consider buying one.

Mathew
01-06-2003, 08:41 AM
I do enjoy driving the E65, but it doesnt want to make me take the long way home. In fact, on occasion ill take the long way home in my E46.

OBS3SSION
01-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Both my wife and I thought the new 7 was hideous when we first saw it. Now... we can't help but like it when we see them. Don't know why, but it grew on us over time, especially in certain colors.

I also have to say it's at least as good looking as the other luxury boats out there... or better, in fact. But, I can't quite envision myself piloting a yacht down the 4-lane anyway.

I would still say there are elements of the car I wished were different. Eyebrows and tail lights primary amongst them. But... then again, there has never been a car I could say was 100% ideal in my opinion.

dredmo
01-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by OBS3SSION
But... then again, there has never been a car I could say was 100% ideal in my opinion.
I used to think a P-car GT2 would be my 100% ideal car, untill they started making SUVs =(.

About the 7 series. I have always liked it, and I like it more now than inception. There are certainly things I do not like, but the pros far outweigh the cons for me. If you think about the class of people these cars generally market towards, it very well could inspire them to take the long way home. Even with recent changes, to me, lexus, MB, audi etc.. do not hold a candle to BMW in either looks or performance, (yes even with Bangle). So, I could see why many of the upper classers might jump into this ride and say "Damn this thing handles gooood" and romp down on the pedal. I would be guessing, but most of the richer folks, who would buy these cars, probably are not the true heart of the enthusiast world. But, I bet this car helps bring a few around. :D (When it is not in the shop of course)

Jspeed
01-06-2003, 11:00 AM
"Thanks to this car, more than 21,000 people are now taking the long way home."

It's understandable. I wouldn't wanna be seen by all the other motorists in one either. :rolleyes:

(purely my opinion)