PDA

View Full Version : When your headgasket is bad...

MikeHsu
02-01-2007, 07:04 PM
When it is bad, and coolant got into your oil, does it necessarily mean that your exhaust will smell weird (burnt coolant) and your dipstick will have some milkyness to it?

When its bad, the coolant system is over pressurized, does that mean bubbling in the resovoir tank?

Rob325_in_AZ
02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
When it is bad, and coolant got into your oil, does it necessarily mean that your exhaust will smell weird (burnt coolant) and your dipstick will have some milkyness to it?

When its bad, the coolant system is over pressurized, does that mean bubbling in the resovoir tank?
I don't know if it would always do what you described if gasket is bad, but that's exactly what happened to my 1987 Mazda pickup.

coolant low, white smoke for the first few minutes of driving (until all the coolant was burnt out) then no smoke until the next time it sits a while. Oil dipstick over-full and the oil looks coffee with cream in it.

BoostedMike
02-17-2007, 09:41 AM

I guess it depends on how bad it is. But more or less, yes to everything above.

Juzen
03-14-2007, 11:41 PM
It depends on which side of the head gasket the coolant is getting into: the cylinder side which will give you white smoke and a sweet smell to the exhaust; the oil/lubrication side which will give you a milkshake and could possible destroy your crank, bearings, rods, or cylinder walls if not addressed. :thumbdwn:

E36 Phantom
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
All of what you listed is a possibility (ask me how I know....) but it is not necessarily always going to happen. I never got any smoke (at all) and exhaust always smelled perfectly normal. But, my reservoir was always bubbling over - I got to the point of carrying 2 gal of coolant in my trunk. One time I was idling in the parking lot talking to a friend, he's facing my car I'm faced away. It was just like a min or 2 and he yells "Holy ****!!! Look at your car!" I turn around and ALL of my coolant is in a huge puddle in front of my car. Stupid headgasket.

Also, if you have drained & refilled or changed any parts of your cooling sys, if ALL you are getting is bubbling over and real quick temp spikes (pockets of hot air cause temp to spike for just a few secs) it could just be some air in your cooling system, which you can 'burp' out.

Also, be sure no coolant or water got into your oil, if it did, you need to pull the oil pan and flush your system (optimally pull the engine) otherwise your bearings will fry (coolant is actually highly acidic when in the oil, and water will just cause rust and less lubrication). Once again, ask me how I know.... :-(