PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Carts and Wind--Bad

325xi_dc
01-06-2003, 08:56 PM
So the hits keep on coming, literally, in a month of new ownership.

First a flat tire that needed to be replaced a week ago and now this: in a Target parking lot, a shopping cart skidded along the rear panel leaving three pretty severe scratches--all because of a windy storm and some careless shopper.

My wife promises she'll park farther away next time.

Johann
01-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Back in high school I worked at a local grocery store. I was pushing carts out in the lot late one night. It was pretty windy, and I was the only person out there pushing carts.

On the opposite side of the lot, some lady unloaded her cart, pushed it HALF way to the Cart Return, and got in car. Immediately the wind blew the cart into her car. I was on the opposite side of the lot, so there wasn't anything I could do.

Regardless, it was her own darn fault: Signs were posted about the high winds, and the cart return was a few feet away.

Jonathan

·clyde·
01-07-2003, 05:18 PM
A few years ago, I was sitting in a car with my father having one of those father-telling-son-how-badly-he's-screwing-up-his-life talks (we've all had them, right?). We were in a big parking lot in San Diego. It was raining hard and about as windy as it ever gets there. In mid sentence, my father stopped. About a 100 feet in front of the car, a cart was whipping by at about 35-40 mph. We watched it crash into some piece of **** car and fall over. Then we watched another do the same thing. And another.

It sucks when it's your car, though.

Patrick
01-07-2003, 09:43 PM
I have nightmares about this same thing happening! I park far away from everyone else and look to make sure that there are no carts anywhere near where I have parked.

Strangely, about 50% of the time, when I come out of the store, someone has parked their 1984 Nissan Cherry right next to my car. :mad: Eventhough there are hundreds of other free places much closer to the door!

Sorry about your paint - that looks bad.

Chris325i
01-08-2003, 05:39 AM
Not only do you have to park out away from other cars, make sure you are UPHILL from them as well.

Clarke
01-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Not to turn this into a flame but how can people be so lazy as to just leave carts around? Would it kill them to roll it a couple of feet to a proper place instead of just leaving it next to or in front of someone else. This is just another of hundreds of examples of lack of courtesey/respect that are part of our lives.

325xi_dc
01-11-2003, 08:30 PM
There's a happy ending.

My wife and I made an unannounced visit to the dealership (BMW of Alexandria, Va.) where we picked up our new car about a month ago and spoke with Richard Eidman, our terrific sales consultant, who took a look at the scratches and set us up with the dealer patch man, who happened to be working on a couple of other bimmers. He worked his magic, and now that panel looks about as good as could be expected considering the depth of the scratches.

Kudos to Kent and Richard.

03BMW330
01-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT

Strangely, about 50% of the time, when I come out of the store, someone has parked their 1984 Nissan Cherry right next to my car. :mad: Eventhough there are hundreds of other free places much closer to the door!

I noticed that my self; they usually park next to you while there is plenty of space all around even if your car was only one on that side of parking lot.:)

Originally posted by Clarke
Not to turn this into a flame but how can people be so lazy as to just leave carts around? Would it kill them to roll it a couple of feet to a proper place instead of just leaving it next to or in front of someone else. This is just another of hundreds of examples of lack of courtesey/respect that are part of our lives.

Here in Rochester there is a store that has little device with chain on top of the cart ( handles) in order to get the cart separated from bunch you have to insert the quarter in to this device to release the chain from the cart in front so you can use it, in order to get your quarter back you have to insert chain in to quarter slot in the other cart when you put it back. man I have not seen any carts in the parking lot since ,and I have seen people trying to pull the quarter out while using the cart. But what a great idea. I wish everybody used this system, if there are more insurance claims maybe they will.
:D :D

Sorry about the car :cry: :cry: :cry: