PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start ever an option

Court M3
02-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Was remote start ever offered as an option on the X3? It's -21 outside today and it would be nice to let the car warm up ~2-3 minutes before going out.

If not, looks like i'll have to go the aftermarket route. :dunno:

cbj
02-04-2007, 08:22 AM
No option. There was a thread about this a month ago too. Search is your friend :)

crazybelgian
02-04-2007, 10:16 AM
There's a reason why it will never be a factory option: letting the engine idle to warm up is apparently bad for your engine. Don't ask me why, but that's what I've always been told by multiple mechanics and enthusiasts (doesn't mean that they're right of course)

jdeday
02-04-2007, 10:40 AM
There's a reason why it will never be a factory option: letting the engine idle to warm up is apparently bad for your engine. Don't ask me why, but that's what I've always been told by multiple mechanics and enthusiasts (doesn't mean that they're right of course)

Yeah, the X3 owners manual also makes the same statement.

Jeff

Court M3
02-04-2007, 11:12 AM
remember an article in Bimmer magazine awhile back that said it was ok if temps were below 0 to let it warm up and then keep it under 3-4k rpm for the first 5-10 minutes.

cbj
02-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I would think a warm engine is better than a cold one at least just a couple of minutes warm up?

vern
02-04-2007, 01:00 PM
I would think a warm engine is better than a cold one at least just a couple of minutes warm up?
Doesn't do a thing for the gear box or rear end.
cheers
vern

AzNMpower32
02-04-2007, 03:39 PM

Apparently, warming it up for too long puts stress on the catalytic converter. My recommendation, acknowledging what the manual says, is in normal, warm summer weather, just drive off after a few seconds. In colder weather (like now, below freezing), I let it idle for 15-20 seconds before driving off. In either case, be light on the throttle and avoid high rpms (<4000rpm) until the engine gradually warms up. Imagine the //M-style variable redline on the tachometer. ;)

And by the way, just cuz the coolant temp needle points in its normal position (straight up) doesn't mean the go ahead for full-redline acceleration. I've read the exact engine temp before(another hidden OBC function) and there's still a few minutes before it really reaches optimum normal temperatures.

coolguyat1b
02-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Yeah, the coolant temp needle isn't an actual indication of temp like in the older BMW's. They changed it and made it some sort of a sliding scale so that if it is between certain temps it will stay in the normal "straight up" position. I heard they did that b/c some people would freak out if the needle went past the straight up position thinking that there car was going to overheat. Unfortunatly it also means that if the car is less then fully warmed up it will also show in the straight up position.

Court M3
02-11-2007, 07:02 AM
well know all about why BMW had to dumb down the temp needle for newer (not enthusiast) owners. Just wanted something for these cold winter mornings for a minute or two before I got outside. I always keep the car ~2-3k for the first 5-10 minutes of driving depending on outside temps.

JG
02-11-2007, 07:08 PM
well know all about why BMW had to dumb down the temp needle for newer (not enthusiast) owners. Just wanted something for these cold winter mornings for a minute or two before I got outside. I always keep the car ~2-3k for the first 5-10 minutes of driving depending on outside temps.

What about a plug in block heater?